Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Economist Nouriel Roubini predicts Europe will weigh down U.S. economy

Roubini makes some good points here about what the world economy is facing going forward. The expiration of tax cuts along with unemployment programs expiring will have an impact.
Add to that the economic problems in Europe and their impact on the multi-national corporations who are employers here in the US.
When their overall profits are hurt, the reaction will be cutbacks and layoffs in the US.
Add to that the slowing in the BRIC countries.
None of this is bullish for the markets, and if by chance we do see the market begin to correct, that effect begins a feedback loop into the economy.
Many of us have held the view for some time that any improvement in the economy based on the massive amounts of government spending would be unsustainable, and would only temporarily postpone the continuation of the deleveraging that must eventually reach parity with incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Your point being?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Your point being?
I think his point is that the idiots who still think the USA is in a recovery are wrong.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I can't believe there are people that think the economy is recovering.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I think his point is that the idiots who still think the USA is in a recovery are wrong.
I know, I just like reading his rants.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/...#axzz1vXwM4DAD

Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I can't believe there are people that think the economy is recovering.
Believe what you want, but your beliefs are baseless, without merit, meaningless and banal.

On top of that, your economy recovered nearly 3 years ago.

Now, if you can show me an Economic Law, or an Economic Model where jobs are a mandatory part of any growth in GDP, or where 0.X% growth in GDP translates into N,000 jobs created, or 0.X% decline in GDP translates into N,000 jobs lost, or even where a particular percentage or level of employment is required to sustain any economy, then please do.

Otherwise, you're just barking at the Moon.

Recovered....

Mircea

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Believe what you want, but your beliefs are baseless, without merit, meaningless and banal.

On top of that, your economy recovered nearly 3 years ago.

Now, if you can show me an Economic Law, or an Economic Model where jobs are a mandatory part of any growth in GDP, or where 0.X% growth in GDP translates into N,000 jobs created, or 0.X% decline in GDP translates into N,000 jobs lost, or even where a particular percentage or level of employment is required to sustain any economy, then please do.

Otherwise, you're just barking at the Moon.

Recovered....

Mircea
I think the issue people have is that they have not experienced the recovery. That is, the trickle down didn't make it to them. Also, the underlying fundamental problems weren't solved. Real estate never recovered, the unemployment problem hasn't appeared to improve, more growth in low wage employment opportunities than middle class paying jobs... This is the source of most of the frustration, and it will likely put downward pressure on the economy as a whole.

And I think we should also consider another valid point... While GDP DID grow, does anyone discuss WHY it grew? Ummm, stimulus money, bailouts, things that don't normally happen in a free markets? Our GDP growth was about as real as China's 8% GDP growth, if you believe that happened all by itself... Wonder how much of that growth was felt by the people working for a bowl of rice....

Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
more growth in low wage employment opportunities than middle class paying jobs...
Not trying to troll, genuinely curious - do you know of any source supporting that claim? I've never heard that argument before.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Europe is a mess but the biggest problem is actually China. China is viewed increasingly as headed for a "hard landing". Construction on housing and infrastructure is down 30% YOY and both exports and imports are down..........they aren't exporting as much and lower consumer/industrial in the internal economy is resulting a slowing domestic economy. China's local governments are also on the verg of insolvency as they rely on up to 90% of their revenues on housing sales yet sales and prices have collapsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics