U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
 
423 posts, read 1,847,942 times
Reputation: 123

Advertisements

As we see all over the news, the United States is in a housing market slump. I think it is important to remember that this does not mean that all countries are in trouble. My office just opened up in Costa Rica where the housing market is out of control. People who invested there 5 years ago are getting 300% returns. Has anyone invested there or somewhere else that is showing this kind of investment potential? I also heard that Donald Trump is building a huge complex in tijuana Mexico. That seems odd to me, but Trump must be doing something right. Any thoughts on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,115 posts, read 16,284,648 times
Reputation: 3705
Eventually the people who you are currently capitalizing on (in Costa Rica) will have to pay the piper just like the people who bought at the peak in this country. But, I guess that doesn't get mentioned to them in the sales pitch by you, correct?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 PM
 
423 posts, read 1,847,942 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Eventually the people who you are currently capitalizing on (in Costa Rica) will have to pay the piper just like the people who bought at the peak in this country. But, I guess that doesn't get mentioned to them in the sales pitch by you, correct?

All your post seem to be negative. Do you have anything good to say about the real estate market anywhere? What are your suggestions? Besides I did not say I was pitching to anyone about Costa Rica real estate. Just because my company is down there it does not mean I am.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,429 posts, read 5,965,272 times
Reputation: 1713
Default With Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Eventually the people who you are currently capitalizing on (in Costa Rica) will have to pay the piper just like the people who bought at the peak in this country. But, I guess that doesn't get mentioned to them in the sales pitch by you, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
All your post seem to be negative. Do you have anything good to say about the real estate market anywhere? What are your suggestions? Besides I did not say I was pitching to anyone about Costa Rica real estate. Just because my company is down there it does not mean I am.
I agreed with Jack what goes to far up will fall back to earth usually with a crash. Think about 300% return aren't you just a little skeptical of that? How many of these buyer are speculators and how many are retirees? Investors will drop your hot market in a minute if they feel the deal is not there anymore. Better take a good look at Florida and see what happing there. Something tells me you heading down the same road.
But for right now Make as much money at your office that you can so if the market does take a hit it won't mean nothing to you anyways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2007, 10:08 PM
 
423 posts, read 1,847,942 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I agreed with Jack what goes to far up will fall back to earth usually with a crash. Think about 300% return aren't you just a little skeptical of that? How many of these buyer are speculators and how many are retirees? Investors will drop your hot market in a minute if they feel the deal is not there anymore. Better take a good look at Florida and see what happing there. Something tells me you heading down the same road.
But for right now Make as much money at your office that you can so if the market does take a hit it won't mean nothing to you anyways.
Not worried about my office taking a hit. They set up the business down there so it is not attached to the one here. I think any investment is knowing when to buy and when to sell. Maybe those people who bought 5 years ago should sell now huh?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,429 posts, read 5,965,272 times
Reputation: 1713
Default golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I think any investment is knowing when to buy and when to sell. Maybe those people who bought 5 years ago should sell now huh?
They just need to time the market right and there golden.
good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,115 posts, read 16,284,648 times
Reputation: 3705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
All your post seem to be negative. Do you have anything good to say about the real estate market anywhere? What are your suggestions? Besides I did not say I was pitching to anyone about Costa Rica real estate. Just because my company is down there it does not mean I am.

Suggestions? How about telling sellers to lower their price to historical levels? (ie 3 - 4% YOY...about the same as inflation). Or telling sellers to SELL their house first before they buy?



I feel for first time homebuyers who've been pinched out of this market for many years.

Funny how I don't see one post about that.

Most posts state how sorry people feel for trying to sell now because they bought at the wrong time.

Again, an honest realtor would disclose information to prospective buyers in Costa Rica about home appreciations just like what's going on here. Its your job to help people make purchases to fit their situation. I'm assuming you do that, correct??? Not to just capitalize on suckers in a hot market.......you wouldn't do that, right?


If you follow my posts the advice I give is not sugarcoated. Its advice most people dont WANT to hear but need to. You equate that to being "negative".....sorry you see it that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 AM
 
609 posts, read 1,979,121 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
All your post seem to be negative. Do you have anything good to say about the real estate market anywhere? What are your suggestions? Besides I did not say I was pitching to anyone about Costa Rica real estate. Just because my company is down there it does not mean I am.

I lived in Costa Rica for years. Buyer beware. Shady land deals, break ins etc,
Look twice before you jump in with both feet. However not all bad.

Real Estate is WAY overpriced in Costa Rica. I have many friends there that cannot give their property away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 AM
 
11,144 posts, read 9,043,806 times
Reputation: 10027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
As we see all over the news, the United States is in a housing market slump. I think it is important to remember that this does not mean that all countries are in trouble. My office just opened up in Costa Rica where the housing market is out of control. People who invested there 5 years ago are getting 300% returns. Has anyone invested there or somewhere else that is showing this kind of investment potential? I also heard that Donald Trump is building a huge complex in tijuana Mexico. That seems odd to me, but Trump must be doing something right. Any thoughts on this?
Trump is an end of market indicator. Remember that two years ago he announced he was building condo towers in Orlando and Las Vegas. He also launched the online internet university at the end of the internet bubble. Some indicators, such as magazine covers, seem to nail the top exactly or a few months in advance. Trump seems to be a lagging top indicator.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
 
5,423 posts, read 10,385,382 times
Reputation: 4508
Agreed. Trump's only real skill was taking the $600 million he inherited and turning it into a billion dollars of debt. He is still to far into the banks they dare not let him fall. Real skill seems to be a con man. Which is always a profitable skill, especially in hard times.

As far as where Real Estate should be good -- like Costa Rica, I would think anywhere that is considered outside the US economic blast radius when this mess implodes is a good buy. I hear the Bush Crime family has been looking at Paraguay. Might try there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top