U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,802,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Oh the mis-informed!!!
No money comes out of your paycheck for unemployment, it is paid for by YOUR EMPLOYER! Based upon their experience, they are taxed by the state a certain percentage up to a certain amount of earnings. In addition another tax is made on YOUR EMPLOYER by the Federal government to cover unemployment compensation once it passes the amount authorized by your state.

and to add to that.....Ferret will be very disappointed with his first check! It is not a subsitute for your former paycheck by any means and isn't "insurance against unemployment" either
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 AM

706 posts, read 1,960,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
oh wait we are rebuilding Iraq!
We are providing private sector contracting to the rebuilding of what we broke, all to be paid for with Iraq's oil money, including the profits to be gained by the American corporations, who are hiring Palestinian and Philipino labor. Big winner for American corporations. No jobs for American workers. No tax money spent, nor collected..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM

12,803 posts, read 16,530,188 times
The idea does not have enough political support. Moreover there are not lobbyists pushing for it. SO it is a dead horse. Of course, Congress is the moral equivalent of a dead horse.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM

18,094 posts, read 15,788,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Oh the mis-informed!!!
No money comes out of your paycheck for unemployment, it is paid for by YOUR EMPLOYER! Based upon their experience, they are taxed by the state a certain percentage up to a certain amount of earnings. In addition another tax is made on YOUR EMPLOYER by the Federal government to cover unemployment compensation once it passes the amount authorized by your state.
Well, the way the employer gets money is through an employee's labor, so basically any tax on the employer is a tax on the employee. The employer is not paying the tax with money created from air, it is paying the tax with money earned from the labor of the employee.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I gladly will, I just traded in two Korean cars for two Union Built Fords. It cost me a little extra but it's what I thought wass right for the country. I have never set foot in a WALMART and sometimes have to drive 60 miles to buy what I need rather than betray America. The easy way isn't always the right way
You realize your "what is right for the country" is a one way street? Ford certainly does not care about what is right for the country, only what is right to increase the value of the company for its stakeholders. That is why many of those parts Ford uses are not from the US, though there are US made available.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Unfortunately, American's love the easy way. They love it so much that they would sell your entire country out, as well as any opportunity for their children, just to get another 20% off on an item that will break after a few months of gentle use. They love it so much they would even indirectly sabotage their own well being and potential income/job security to get that hot new trinket that will break their heart when it breaks and they have to buy a new one. Remember, money going overseas ain't coming back, cause no one want's to buy anything from a nation that doesn't produce anything of actual use (except debt of course).

Big surprise, when that item breaks though, they will go ahead and buy the very same one all over again. While this cycle continues, we moronically ask why there is a big giant patch of floating garbage in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas... Wonder how much of that is cheap, easily breakable Chinese crap? Does that allow them rights to claim this giant patch of trash as their own? Maybe as poetic justice, when they finally invade our neutered country (since they obtained all our means of production), they can exile all U.S. citizens to that floating island of trash....
Americans? What about the corporations? Why is it when it comes to such patriotic duties as buying American, the burden seems to be on the individual, yet when a corporation off shores, it is called a good business strategy?

No one owes anything to a company just it is an American company, a person owes the company no more than the company owes a person a job. I do not exist to provide profits to a company just for the sake of them being American. I purchase by value, and if an American company cannot provide value to me, I do what the American company does, go where I can find it.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,191 posts, read 45,360,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silliker View Post
This is just simply IMPOSSIBLE!
You pose an interesting challenge...

I will bet it IS possible to put MOST back to work within a month. BUT ZERO is impossible.

In a democracy there are certain roadblocks that significantly slow the process.

A benevolent dictator could get this joint whipped into shape REAL fast.(Pull the benefits and FORCE people to work).

When traveling internationally, I see A LOT of 'previously' unemployed people sweeping streets, pulling weeds, and mowing grass on freeways BY HAND.

While I don't advocate 'slave' labor, I do see significant need / benefit to putting the able-bodied (age 14 - 84) to work. (CCC, WPA, NFS Fire service, park and beach cleanup, School repair, Urban Agriculture, elder care, Main Street USA ...options are HUGE)

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM

8,117 posts, read 4,607,967 times
You never want zero. 3-4% is ideal.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM

6,616 posts, read 12,476,699 times
Wait a minute...you can get up to $3K a month from welfare or whatever it's called?

I should have majored in unemployment.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:39 AM

23,433 posts, read 26,795,742 times
Quote:
I will bet it IS possible to put MOST back to work within a month. BUT ZERO is impossible.

In a democracy there are certain roadblocks that significantly slow the process.
...Pull the benefits and FORCE people to work.

This is actually what needs to be done. Force people to take jobs that are not in their fields. Force people to take pay cuts in other fields. If they refuse, then cutoff the benefits. There are numerous jobs out there. Look on-line 10,000s. Look in a newspaper 100s to 1000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics