U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,625,449 times
Reputation: 5180

Advertisements

People worry that the government will not be able to pay future Social Security benefits due to the fact that the money paid in to Social Security was loaned to the Federal Government and exchanged for Notes or IOU's.

This fear is baseless. The government will pay Social Security obligations due to the fact that there is no restraint, (except for what it places on itself) on its capability to print money.

The problem with this however is that money printed without a corresponding increase in GDP is inflationary.
The government will make good on its obligation to cut you a retirement check, but what the value of that check will be in actual buying power is what you should be worried about.

The government even now is using every trick in its bag of tricks to deny inflation despite what we all experience and know to be true.

With 78 million baby boomers entering retirement age, the amount of money that will need to be printed will be astronomical.

Of course this will preclude most boomers from really being able to retire despite receiving their Social Security and will exasperate their financial shortcomings due to the fact that the resulting inflation will also cut into the buying power of whatever they can earn in the menial jobs they will be able to find.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,863,621 times
Reputation: 32438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Of course this will preclude most boomers from really being able to retire despite receiving their Social Security and will exasperate their financial shortcomings due to the fact that the resulting inflation will also cut into the buying power of whatever they can earn in the menial jobs they will be able to find.
Gee, I didn't know people's financial shortcomings had emotions. (Try "exacerbate").

On a more serious note, my take on the subject of your post is that you are taking a real phenomenon (printing money leading to inflation) and exaggerating its effect. The reason Social Security benefits have COLA's is to keep people from falling behind. I understand your point that the COLA's understate the real amount of inflation and I think to some extent that's true. However, to say that people will no longer be willing to retire is overkill. It would be more accurate to say that some people will have to tighten their belts somewhat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
17,968 posts, read 16,443,262 times
Reputation: 17843
Life is going to suck for many. End of story
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,863,621 times
Reputation: 32438
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Life is going to suck for many. End of story
It already does and it always has. Things get worse, and things get better, only to get worse again. That's not the end of the story, however.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
 
12,798 posts, read 16,449,725 times
Reputation: 8823
Social Security estimates it will be able to pay out until 2038, after which many of us will be dead. Has anyone calculated how much money will need to be printed? And dividing by GDP, how much inflation will result? I heard the cumulative deficit is $59 T, compared to annual GDP of $134T. Average that over 20 years, that is about 2 percent, assuming no GDP growth. Your figures?

Last edited by pvande55; 06-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Add numbers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
 
10,494 posts, read 24,383,720 times
Reputation: 6696
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Social Security estimates it will be able to pay out until 2038, after which many of us will be dead. Has anyone calculated how much money will need to be printed? And dividing by GDP, how much inflation will result? I heard the cumulative deficit is $59 T, compared to annual GDP of $134T. Average that over 20 years, that is about 2 percent, assuming no GDP growth. Your figures?
It is 2033, not 2038. It has kept decreasing since 2009 or so, so it really could be broke by the end of the decade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 06:46 PM
 
12,798 posts, read 16,449,725 times
Reputation: 8823
If the economy is restored to health it may increase as fewer workers retire early and more retirees go back to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,625,449 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Social Security estimates it will be able to pay out until 2038, after which many of us will be dead. Has anyone calculated how much money will need to be printed? And dividing by GDP, how much inflation will result? I heard the cumulative deficit is $59 T, compared to annual GDP of $134T. Average that over 20 years, that is about 2 percent, assuming no GDP growth. Your figures?
Social Security began paying out more than it took in this year. Since there is no real assets behind the notes Social Security holds, the government has no choice but to print the difference. This printing will increase every year from now on. Of course this is on top of what the government is printing to make up the shortfall between tax revenues and what it actually spends. The estimate for Social Security and Medicare shortfall is about 45 trillion dollars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: USA
1,816 posts, read 2,391,488 times
Reputation: 4152
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is 2033, not 2038. It has kept decreasing since 2009 or so, so it really could be broke by the end of the decade.

My Statement of Earnings from SS has had a notice for the last two years saying something to the effect. . . this is the estimated amount you can draw from SS. However, there is no guarantee you will receive 100% of this sum. I believe it says starting in 2038, to expect 75% of the amount I'm entitled to draw.

I'm betting on more like 0%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,863,621 times
Reputation: 32438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
My Statement of Earnings from SS has had a notice for the last two years saying something to the effect. . . this is the estimated amount you can draw from SS. However, there is no guarantee you will receive 100% of this sum. I believe it says starting in 2038, to expect 75% of the amount I'm entitled to draw.

I'm betting on more like 0%.
Based on what reasoning are you "betting on more like 0%"? And what facts support that reasoning?

If I were a betting man, I would bet on 100% because there will be enormous pressure on Congress to make some changes in Social Security to avoid getting into that 75% payout territory. SS is being honest and conservative in warning people about the possibility of that rather dramatic cut, as they cannot be sure what action Congress will take, if any.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top