U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 AM

7,946 posts, read 16,418,432 times

Advertisements

Elliott Wave

If oil did crash to $16/bbl, what effect would it have on the economy? Lower prices would be a boon for consumers as $16 would bring back $1 gas in many parts of the country, but it could be a major disaster for energy companies and refiners. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 AM

3,017 posts, read 3,687,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Elliott Wave

If oil did crash to $16/bbl, what effect would it have on the economy? Lower prices would be a boon for consumers as $16 would bring back $1 gas in many parts of the country, but it could be a major disaster for energy companies and refiners. Thoughts?

State and federal taxes on gasoline already exceed $1 a gallon. So the only way that $1 gas in many parts of the country could exist would be if the oil companies were giving it away for free aside from the state and federal taxes on it, because the government will always figure out a way to make money on oil. (and way more in terms of taxes than the oil companies make by refinining and bringing the product to the market).

Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 AM

14,017 posts, read 19,824,675 times
My thought is that the chances of crude oil going as low as that "analyst" predicts are pretty much zero. Therefore, I will not speculate about the consequences of something which is not going to happen. I put "analyst" in quotes for a reason.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 AM

8,946 posts, read 12,990,325 times
Quote:
Elliott Wave

That would imply, just guessing, a 25% unemployment rate not only in Europe, where it already is practically 25% in a few countries, but across all the major industrialized countries, including the US and China, basically a global depression.

As I have been pointing out for the past 18-24 months, the global economy faces an energy constraint: when growth reaches a certain level, energy (oil) prices rise, slapping it back down, then allowing the economy to return to modest-to-moderate growth overall.

Right now we are in a slap-down phase, accompanied by monetary contraction in Europe. Not too sure, just guessing that around $60 per barrel would be low enough to spur a rebound to modest-to-moderate global growth, maybe after the US elections later in 2012.

The current price of around $80 per barrel could have been enough, but the monetary contraction in Europe has added a further constraint right now, so in that sense I agree with article on the fundamentals: the eurozone monetary contraction is a new factor over the past two years which has increasingly deteriorated, and no relief in sight for as long as no-one in Europe knows who is sovereign, who is the lender of last resort, and the rate of the slowdown in growth or recession is steeper than the money supply contraction.

Another factor is geopolitical tensions in the so-called Middle East, mainly Syria and Iran right now.

Too much uncertainty right now, as always, to be sure of the future.

Nonetheless, $16/bbl seems like a technical exaggeration and an around 25% global unemployment rate also seems unlikely.

But I suppose that we can't rule it out either: we could be on the cusp of an unwinding of both the eurozone and globalization. As usual, hedge your bets.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-25-2012 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 AM

23,715 posts, read 28,631,854 times
The last time it dropped to around $40 was in late 2008/early 2009. The only thing that went down in price was gas. No one else passed the savings onto us. Companies that charged us service charges continued charging them. Tire prices didnt drop. Food prices continued up. Nothing came down except for gas and fuel for our homes. And even today as prices are dropping at the pump, prices (and shrinking packages) are still going up.

Quote:
State and federal taxes on gasoline already exceed $1 a gallon.
Only on the westcoast. On the eastcoast it runs from about 0.20 in the SE to about 0.60 in the NE.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,104,320 times
Quote:
Elliott Wave

Gas here in CT has dropped in some places to $3.46 per gallon which I thought has been HUGE since last week. I went to the market at say 9:00 am and when I came out of there at 10:30, gas had gone from $3.59 to $3.46 it was amazing. I think if it did drop to $16/bbl it would be good for people but super horrible for all the refineries. I am not all that saavy with this stuff but can't help but think that the Mom and Pop oil delivery companies are going to suffer far worse than any larger companies. What do y'all think?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 AM

12,909 posts, read 17,550,724 times
A sudden drop in the value of fuel-efficient cars. Sales of SUV's skyrocket. Economic depression in North Dakota. States might raise gasoline taxes, allowing roads to be repaired. Similar things happened in the 1980's.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,498,735 times
Quote:
Elliott Wave

If oil prices crashed to 16 bucks a barrel and stayed there, we would go into a boom like you've never seen in history.

Everything is tied at least indirectly to energy prices and insanely cheap energy is the drug America craves most. But it ain't gonna happen thanks to global growth and Hubbard's peak.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,418,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If oil prices crashed to 16 bucks a barrel and stayed there, we would go into a boom like you've never seen in history.

Everything is tied at least indirectly to energy prices and insanely cheap energy is the drug America craves most. But it ain't gonna happen thanks to global growth and Hubbard's peak.
The high energy prices we've seen over the past five years are directly tied to a weakening dollar and speculation of strengthening demand from China and India. If economic growth in Asia slowed or even went into a recession, $16 oil is feasible. The euro is in trouble and that is certain to put downward pressure on oil prices. It went to $30/bbl in late 2008 after the stock market crash. There is a supply glut even as we speak, its speculation keeping the prices high. I think the range of $50-$80 is the sweet spot for oil prices. Its cheap enough that its not pinching consumers and businesses but expensive enough to not decimate the energy sector.

And no, even with $16 oil many parts of the nation won't see $1 gas, but places like Oklahoma and Texas would. In early 2009, I remember seeing gas as low as $1.29 in Little Rock and that was at $30 oil.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:22 PM

16,290 posts, read 30,347,612 times
California charges 35Cents a gallon for Gasoline and 15.2% of the sales price in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics