U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM

22,798 posts, read 15,943,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniboo View Post
I've heard of community owned small business why not community owned corporations and factories? I keep hearing about how corporate America doesn't care about it's employees and how they need to stop outscoring and hire more America's and what not. Why don't communities start their own corporations and hire with in the community and split the profits among all the employees? We could even outsource the hard labor or use automated manufacturing to make products and the whole community would benefit because everyone would own a part of the company. We could have communality owed companies all over America and we'd all buy from each other and be in control of our own lives and employment. What do you guys think?
It wouldn't work. It's not like it hasn't been tried before. You know a what microwave oven is, right? A microwave? Those were built in the Amana Colonies in Iowa (yes in the United States), which was a Utopian society. The first microwaves people bought were the Amana Radar Range.

How'd that work out for everybody? Not good.

Conservatives understand that people have different, often unique needs. Liberals never understood that, which is why they try to crow-bar everyone into a one-size fits all garment bag, and so the needs of the majority of people never get met.

Economically...

Mircea
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM

16,272 posts, read 28,728,263 times
How many cities out there doing a good job at just managing themselves? Now you want them to spend money creating corporations to build something that they can make a profit on? And you want to hire the people from those cities to do the work? It seems that if someone can make a profit at something that they would find a way to do it long before a city does. If their is an income producing idea out there, I would bet that someone will figure out how to do it long before any city can do that.

Then again, why don't you find a money making idea for your city, create a business plan on how it will work, put all the pieces together and build your own company. If you want, you can even donate your money making idea to the city and see how things work out.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,975 posts, read 45,048,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniboo View Post
Thanks, after looking it up I guess I did mean cooperative. Are there any big cooperative companies out there? Like tech companies?
Here is a successful one I know of... Worker-Owned Cooperative | Isthmus Engineering & Manufacturing not too big, but functional and in the USA.

Here is BIG (and functional) Mondragon Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Born out of a repressive Gov... The Mondragón Cooperative Corporation (MCC): An Introduction And one of the BEST performing International HI-TECH suppliers I ever used (from several hundred WW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
One town we lived in [Norwich] bought their local mill and electric company. Converted it to run on natural gas and today has their own 'private' electric and gas company that provides everyone within city limits.

Where we live now, 2 towns over, they [Orono] have a water mill that makes power. ... Today the town still has the mill in it, but the electric company owns it and makes their profit from it.
This is ironic... There is some Community owned power in IA and MN.

BlueGreen Alliance / Signature Stories / Community-Owned Is Business Model for Two Wind Farms in Iowa
http://www.umass.edu/windenergy/publ...erformance.pdf
http://www.kansasruralcenter.org/pub...ns/TomWind.pdf
and very FEW other states
C-BED Community-Based Energy Development

BUT, it is a crime that I see MUCH community owned opportunity flowing to FORIEGN investors... China, Germany, Japan own the LION'S SHARE of renewable energy projects in USA. (Too bad, as the profits COULD (should) be flowing to the host communities. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It wouldn't work. It's not like it hasn't been tried before. ...How'd that work out for everybody? Not good.

Conservatives understand that people have different, often unique needs. Liberals never understood that, which is why they try to crow-bar everyone into a one-size fits all garment bag, and so the needs of the majority of people never get met.

Economically...
Mircea
Yes... Human Dynamics have torpedoed MANY a great opportunity. I did a case study on the Burley Bike Trailer Cooperative. A VERY productive / enjoyable / community building operation for 20+ yrs, BUT... in the end the very 'eutopia' designed to sustain the joint, was it's unraveling.
Burley Design Cooperative (demutualized) | American Worker Cooperative
BikePortland.org » Blog Archive » What killed the Burley Co-op? An historical perspective

NOT that cooperatives / community owned businesses CAN"T WORK... They do and very well (Credit Unions) BUT... in the USA; freedom of choice / expression AND commerce are TOUGH. Places like Scandanavia (including Denmark) have HUGE and successful cooperative businesses and housing. Canada has a much more vibrant cooperative economy than USA. All is not lost... just TOUGHER here (USA)>

2012 - yr of the Cooperative... get busy

Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 PM

574 posts, read 1,730,442 times
Community-owned businesses is communism. It's not going to fly too well in capitalist America.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,080,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's already done. You don't hear much about it because it is usually pretty small-scale. If a business has the potential to get big enough for anyone to notice on a national level someone will have already started it in the private sector.
Can you please post some more information on that? I'd love to read about it.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM

238 posts, read 1,423,280 times
I may be mistaken but i think the russians and other commie nations tried that approach and it failed miserable. Funny how things always come full circle over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics