U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM

8,730 posts, read 14,616,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The economy will come back, but many people will remain unemployed.
Its already come back, do you not read any of the financial reports ? Yes, you are correct many will remain unemployed, mostly because they are at both ends of the scale of those looking for work. The young,fresh out of college have no skills, many should have gone to a trade school, shame on their parents for giving them false hope , also shame on them for wishing their kids WILL follow in their footsteps. from schools to sports interest....everyone is different. Most of you that forced your kids into a one way street , dead end rock between the hard place should suffer along with the kids, and get used to them living in your basement for a long time, with or with out their girl/boy friend, how about that Mom and Pop. !!
On the other end of the scale we knew what was coming, we knew the baby boomers would all try to retire early, now many will never get a job again. They are just too old, except to be a "greater" at Wallmart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM

7,134 posts, read 10,371,429 times
/\/\

Sorry, I wasn't more precise in my post. I thought people here read and analyze more thoroughly and more forwardly than simply reading financial reports, but apparently some don't. I was talking about GDP growth YTD versus pre recession rates and in that regard it hasn't come back. Corporate margins in mature industries are still contracting and many basic industries such as steel and aluminum smelting are still in shaky ground.

I think GDP can/will grow at pre recession rates eventually but even then, it won't be enough to absorb the many who are unemployed/underemployed. Many people might just have to accept being left out.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
/\/\

Sorry, I wasn't more precise in my post. I thought people here read and analyze more thoroughly and more forwardly than simply reading financial reports, but apparently some don't. I was talking about GDP growth YTD versus pre recession rates and in that regard it hasn't come back. Corporate margins in mature industries are still contracting and many basic industries such as steel and aluminum smelting are still in shaky ground.

I think GDP can/will grow at pre recession rates eventually but even then, it won't be enough to absorb the many who are unemployed/underemployed. Many people might just have to accept being left out.
Well , thats what I said , in a more colorful way. Sometimes to get peoples attention you have to say something shocking ! Now, Iron and steel were up to all time highs, now they are back down, along with all commodities, except gas and oil that is.. overall commodities are stronger than they have ever been, including land prices. Once this sorts out and we go through a dip, things will come back so strong that inflation will be beating at our door like never before.
Take MfG. it too is hot right now, just take a look at one of the largest CAT. Many jobs are not being filled because there is a shortage of skilled workers. Industrial machinery ( always a bell weather ), is going so strong that now there is a shortage of truck drivers.
This was the second great depression in many ways, mostly do to the housing crash. Take a look at what happened after the first great depression......by 37 most people were looking good almost everything was up. Just like today, car sales were very strong for the first time since 1929........ Then , like today, 1938 was a mini recession, it looked worse than it was, but it was real !...One year later everything was coming up roses, 1939-40 were banner years for car sales.. Everyone had a job, where it was going , well, no one will ever know, cause along came WWII. everything changed forever.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,827,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its already come back, do you not read any of the financial reports ? Yes, you are correct many will remain unemployed, mostly because they are at both ends of the scale of those looking for work. The young,fresh out of college have no skills, many should have gone to a trade school, shame on their parents for giving them false hope
You contradict yourself.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,827,804 times
Quote:
I wouldn't trust a virtual stat like GDP - especially if it's a GDP of USA.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
You contradict yourself.
I have no idea what you are talking about. here in the USA one thing effects another, there is no one that was not effected by the recession or Depression would be a better word.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:22 PM

7,134 posts, read 10,371,429 times
I would suppose that if all those unfilled openings were tallied, you won't get to 15 million or even one-fourth of that. Some sources report only 1M to 2M. Another limiting factor with those openings is that each one requires skills that are unique to the opening. A person may qualified for a job in CAT may not be qualified for a machinist job in Precision Machinists and so on. That is one key reason why those jobs go unfilled. Another is that demand for these jobs can be unpredictable as it is for geologists and mining technicians.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I would suppose that if all those unfilled openings were tallied, you won't get to 15 million or even one-fourth of that. Some sources report only 1M to 2M. Another limiting factor with those openings is that each one requires skills that are unique to the opening. A person may qualified for a job in CAT may not be qualified for a machinist job in Precision Machinists and so on. That is one key reason why those jobs go unfilled. Another is that demand for these jobs can be unpredictable as it is for geologists and mining technicians.
And just where do you think these jobs came from anyway ? Its because of the Industrial demand. I am in the business of distribution industrial machinery. This is our 40th year and we have never been this busy.
Many of the jobs are those learned in a trade school and apprentice. Machine operators, welders, pipe fitters, truck drivers, to name just a few. Its not the number of job opening that is the entire issue, its also proof that our economy is strong and coming back. From Wall Street to the auto plants, people are buying cars ! That may be the largest reason for the demand for Capital goods.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 3,619,521 times
People need to take a look at the bigger picture.. There is a secret society out there that hates humanity, the Illumanti etc who want to impose a New World Order NWO

It's simple, their goals are to reduce wealth, prosperity & population.. Exactly what's happening in the developed world, it has happened to Japan, and is currently happening in EU.. In the USA it's only the begenning..

This secret society controls all governments, corporations, media and many other things..

Look at what is happening, higher taxes, lower wages, increased cost of living & deacreases number of jobs.. All this is no coincidence.. It's the perfect solution to decrease wealth, prosperity & population..

People need to seriously wake up, and notice these things..

There's another important aspect to it, this secret society is behind the 'green movement'.. They like to stress that the world is scarce of resources, which is rubbish an not true..

It's all a plan people, so take notice.. And don't ignore things like this..

Last edited by yowps3; 08-07-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM

22,258 posts, read 38,856,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
People need to take a look at the bigger picture.. There is a secret society out there that hates humanity, the Illumanti etc who want to impose a New World Order NWO

It's simple, their goals are to reduce wealth, prosperity & population.. Exactly what's happening in the developed world, it has happened to Japan, and is currently happening in EU.. In the USA it's only the begenning..

This secret society controls all governments, corporations, media and many other things..

Look at what is happening, higher taxes, lower wages, increased cost of living & deacreases number of jobs.. All this is no coincidence.. It's the perfect solution to decrease wealth, prosperity & population..

People need to seriously wake up, and notice these things..

There's another important aspect to it, this secret society is behind the 'green movement'.. They like to stress that the world is scarce of resources, which is rubbish an not true..

It's all a plan people, so take notice.. And don't ignore things like this..
It's called BRIC and the developing countries expanding. They have an extremely high level of human capital and very large populations. They also have lots of poverty. The costs in the US have been going up in the core categories for long periods of time. Now we have to contend with increasing levels of food inflation due to extreme weather events becoming the norm. In terms of big media control, well the opposite is small business growth, LLCs, blogs, etc. And yes there are way too many people with scarce resources due to rapidly increasing demand for them abroad. Adjust to this reality or fail to adapt. The US has that choice to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics