Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM

144 posts, read 552,940 times

Advertisements

Just venting here so bare with me.
The company i work for has a system we use for our daily activities.
This is a fortune 500 company found throughout the world.
We were recently told our division uses this program or system better and more efficiently than any other in the company. Great right?
Well they hired a Harvard grad from Dubai to come see how we do it so well.
Ha, now in their infinite wisdom are going to make it even better, all they are doing is making it much more labor intensive. Literally hours a day are wasted in reports and BS. My question is why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Corporate America is so F.... Fantastic?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM

For 1-2% of the population i suppose it is.
For the workin' man who carries the weight and feeds this country, it makes no sense.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose13 View Post
We were recently told our division uses this program or system better and more efficiently than any other in the company. Great right?
Ha, now in their infinite wisdom are going to make it even better, all they are doing is making it much more labor intensive. Literally hours a day are wasted in reports and BS. My question is why?
Reports are important for mining.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Husband worked for a Fortune 500 and retired (well was laid off and qualified to retire). He watched the disintegration of a fine company with loyal and committed employees to one with only today and this quarter of interest to management. In the old days, employees were expected to learn the company and its many parts. My husband in IT worked for many divisions to learn more and more about the company. He grew and they benefited from his knowledge.

Now they hire for a position and fire when it is not needed. Employees are only the skills they have and not a future asset to the company. In the science division, first those with Bachelors degrees were gone, next those with Masters and now PHDs are laid off. They outsource all over the world.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,853 times
I agree with the OP. If you truly have what it takes, you'll be much better off in the long run by starting your own business.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM

That's a shame sweet.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose13 View Post
Don't you know that Harvard grads are all Gods and Goddesses?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
The program simply tracks usage. Its there to track those people who steal company time by surfing the net or playing games. The person from Dubai is there to see the program in action, as probably the company he actually works for is thinking about buying a copy of it and wanted to see it in realtime action. The reports it generates take a short time to review as it only generates reports that fit flagged criteria. Most corporations use them, but many of them have numerous bugs. Thry are not going to make it more labor intensive. What they will do is load filters and block certain items from occurring. Thus if you don't play games and don't surf anything not job related then you will see no change.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Corporations are amazing things... where else would you have a huge hive working towards accomplishing something outside of the military.

It is amazing how they chug along even after losing valuable lynchpins to their function (Staff etc).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics