Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I must disagree with some of that, because on my last trip back to the UK I noticed that some teaching jobs were only paying minimum wage. (entry level, but degree still required)

why?

because of the influx of East European teachers and the poor economic situation.

so a teacher with knowledge could easily be getting less than a gardener.
I call bull and i doubt you can show thats true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
I understand it for sure - it's all about profit maximisation.

but capitalism, the World over, just enhances human greed - so needs to be reigned in.
Why? If people were not greedy for something...money, fame, glory, etc. very little would get done.

It's the idea that someone can make money, afford things that he can't now, that drives many to get up off their butts and try harder. They invent things and ways to Make Money. They work to Make Money. That's the name of the game....Making Money.

It's human nature that if you aren't rewarded for trying to do more, you won't try to do more.

Let's don't forget all the money that is donated by "greedy" (your word, not mine) people to those causes that help those that are less fortunate. That's the money that builds libaries, sends food to famine stricken countries, maintaines shelters for the homeless, scholorships for the deserving, etc.

I just looked at your info list. It seems that your favorite author is Karl Marx. That explains a lot of your thoughts. Maybe when you grow a little wiser, you will notice why his ideas don't work well in practice.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
I must disagree with some of that, because on my last trip back to the UK I noticed that some teaching jobs were only paying minimum wage. (entry level, but degree still required)

why?

because of the influx of East European teachers and the poor economic situation.

so a teacher with knowledge could easily be getting less than a gardener.
Entry level is different than minimum wage. Entery level means(at least in the US) the salary or wage paid to someone who has no experince in the field. Could be minumum wage could be MUCH higher.

A teacher could start at say $22,00-$25,000 a year. However with exeperince and raises that could rise to as high as $40,000 a year(or more in some instances).

Minimum was is the legal amount that you can not pay less than. Depending on the state it could total no less than $15,080 a year.

A unionized unskilled worker could indeed earn more than a teacher but that is another matter. Anyone earning less than about $11 an hour will not earn as much as a teacher unless they have overtime, tips, or some sort of bonus going on.

Last edited by chirack; 08-21-2012 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
so that throws mathjak's comment on its head a little.

in this case the pay of a teacher could easily be less than that of an unskilled union worker,

as it's all about supply and demand, plus usefulness to a company.

therefore, a successful tipped waitress would be of high value to a restaurant - let's say the tip is split 50/50 and she gets the $7.50hr minimum, that would seem about right.

how about that idea?

Last edited by Kenneth-Kaunda; 08-22-2012 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: wrong words

Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
so that throws mathjak's comment on its head a little.

the knowledge of a teacher could easily be less than that of an unskilled union worker.

it's all about supply and demand, plus usefulness to a company.

therefore, a successful tipped waitress would be of high value to a restaurant - let's say the tip is split 50/50 and she gets the $7.50hr minimum, that would seem about right.

how about that idea?
Never Gonna Give You Up

Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 AM

DUH! YOU JUST DONT GET IT BUT YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION.

thats the whole idea of tipping. it gives an unskilled or low paid worker a shot at earning a wage level that an employer would never pay them because of their lack of skills and knowledge.

the origonal idea of tipping was about asking for some money from those with the better jobs,skills and wealth and asking you to give some to help someone with little skills or skills that earn little.

some jobs just evolved into payment by tips even with skills like hair cutters .

soooooo there you have it, the logic behind tipping.

case closed.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-22-2012 at 02:52 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 AM

not really, because it still doesn't account for the fact that the employer only has to pay 2.50/hr.

what if you are doing the quiet tuesday aft. shift that brings in few tips? - you will lose this because the boss will use some of them to push your wage up to the minimum.

care to justify this one?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats the whole idea of tipping. it gives an unskilled or low paid worker a shot at earning a wage level that an employer would never pay them because of their lack of skills and knowledge.
but the pay level is determined by the employer, who in his opinion deems what the worker is worth.

here he justifies (to himself) that he can pay a very low amount - as he feels that this worker is of low calibre - but it is a completely arbritary subjective reasoning, as evidenced by the doctor/train driver in SU analogy and that of the teacher and union worker.

so we can see, that those with the bigger stick will create artificial justification to take as much of the pie as they can get away with.

It would be a lot easier if people just came out and said 'I want the money so I'm having it, because I am stronger than you' - this is what is happening.

obvious really - and it's just Animal Farm 101!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 AM

wrong again. the pay level is determined by the employer and the markets for that position. we only get away paying 30-35k for engineers right now because thats the range the markets are in and thats all our competitors are paying.

before the recession we had to pay 40-45k for the same guy, not because we wanted to but because the markets dictated thats where we had to be.

every position has a range in good or bad markets. a dishwasher isnt getting hired for 40k unless inflation is so high we have to pay 200k for that engineer. everything stays in scale.

if we do away with electricity and find something new well then markets will dictate whether there is a need for skilled engineers or not and regulate that pay . the skills and knowledge you have must be skills and knowledge that are in demand or your of no more value then the unskilled coffee pourer.

just like that master craftsman who could make the best darn buggy whip .

its the 2 factors working together that set what a job function is worth unless a union is going to artificially upset that balance.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-22-2012 at 03:45 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 AM

now how about the idea of a union of waitresses/catering staff;

has that ever happened and what would be the outcome if it did?

from my general knowledge I have never heard of such a thing, and unions don't seem to exist for certain jobs.

why is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics