Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Desperate times? Not even close. Not even half way close. Times were desperate when the Bubonic plague was killing about 50 percent of the European population, or when you lived in a city like Tokyo or Dresden and Bomber Command decided that you should not, or when your village was sacked and salt plowed into your fields and most of the population killed or taken into slavery. Or even when Akron Ohio saw 85 percent unemployment during the Great Depression. But today? Phooey! Nothing but melodrama for the evening news. By historical standards, today's circumstances are well above average for the human condition.
Scale back the Federal government (as well as state and local governments) to the levels of the 1920's/1930's and Akron might see 85% unemployment again. People would be dying and going hungry just like they were during the depression.

If the Feds were to implement a balanced budget tomorrow, GDP would plunge at least 15% instantly.

I'm not saying that we should revert to depression era policies but the current policies aren't sustainable in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Desperate times? Not even close. Not even half way close. Times were desperate when the Bubonic plague was killing about 50 percent of the European population, or when you lived in a city like Tokyo or Dresden and Bomber Command decided that you should not, or when your village was sacked and salt plowed into your fields and most of the population killed or taken into slavery. Or even when Akron Ohio saw 85 percent unemployment during the Great Depression. But today? Phooey! Nothing but melodrama for the evening news. By historical standards, today's circumstances are well above average for the human condition.
It's an "economic" Bubonic Plague this time.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM

640 posts, read 717,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Fine thing when the seniors are thrown under the bus because they're "old" and because we need to look out for a bunch of worthless, good-for-nothings "youngsters" who have no desire to contribute anything of worth to society and the economy.
Clearly there's both historical revisionism and ageism going here and that's fine. You're not responsible for "looking after" anyone but it'd be nice if you didn't call us names while we bailout the country from the greed, avarice, and lack of civic and fiscal responsibility y'all have contributed.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 PM

391 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
I'm going to have to agree. Times really suck right now, but you can still find the means for shelter and food. People won't complain until one of those are taken away. Food and housing is ridiculously cheap. Luxuries like electricity, running water, and other things are still pretty cheap. I use to be against housing being an investment and renting it out to people, but now I understand why it is. At this point housing should only be an investment

Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I know that sounds harsh but we're in desperate times. 100% tax on the wealthiest doesn't even make a dent, but fully one third of all Americans are on some sort of government subsidy. Food stamps for 50 million people alone adds up to real $$$'s. Shouldn't benefits for the elderly (SS/Medicare) be preserved because they are too old to go out and work, while the younger should bear the larger share of the pain because they have more years ahead of them? Younger families will cope. They'll double-triple up; grow gardens; sew their clothes; manage to find ways to meet their needs without sucking on the govt's teat for generations. Seems like the only step we have left, unless we want to elect Ryan and see the elderly out on the street dying on a piece of cardboard. Of course cutbacks in wasteful military outlays should also be a part of the equation.
Hi thrillobyte--

I would have no problem at the age of 23 with being exempted from all of these "programs" if it also mean I didn't have to pay any taxes into them.

In discussing with a bunch of colleagues near my age, many of whom are recent college grads, pretty much all of them view Social Security and Medicare as permanent taxes on their incomes instead of investments for their futures. It's 7-10% of income that none of us will ever see.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi thrillobyte--

I would have no problem at the age of 23 with being exempted from all of these "programs" if it also mean I didn't have to pay any taxes into them.

In discussing with a bunch of colleagues near my age, many of whom are recent college grads, pretty much all of them view Social Security and Medicare as permanent taxes on their incomes instead of investments for their futures. It's 7-10% of income that none of us will ever see.
I agree with you. A 23 YO should not have to contribute to a program that's not going to be around 40 years from now. Personally, I'd like to see everybody from age 35 up guaranteed their benefits, a means test installed and the cap lifted on earnings during a phase-out period to cover the 35-55 YO's, and SS/Medicare completely gone by 2042 +/- when all the boomers are pushing up daisies, to be replaced by universal coverage in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics