Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
No thank you. Shore up Medicare. I'm just shy of 50 and have paid in for years. A $6000 voucher will get nothing.
I could be wrong, but I think it is $8000.

Either way, I wasn't really advocating anything. I was merely pointing out the OP's inconsistency in presenting a very Ryan-like proposal, at the same time trashing Ryan with inaccurate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
So we should let people starve, destroy any upward mobility left,
and just forsake everyone that hasn't already got a piece of the pie?
Nope; but that pretty well describes what is going to happen anyway
for the (somewhere between 40 and 100 million) marginal extra population who will
indeed be having a real tough time of it.

You can dress it up anyway that makes you feel better and flail at the unfairness of it all...
but the people with skills, utility, willingness to work will still have less.

What do you propose for those withOUT skills, utility and willingness to work?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
So we should let people starve, destroy any upward mobility left, and just forsake everyone that hasn't already got a piece of the pie? "I got mine, so screw them" type of rhetoric. That sounds swell. I am sure the 55 and under that get hosed will be quite gentle when they throw the noose around the neck of the people that perpetrate that. I could make the argument that we should flip it and cut off everyone 55 and older that are just a strain on the economy. They already got to enjoy the largest slice of the pie, so they've had their fill. Let's dump those 55 and up because they have nothing to offer us now.
That will never work. Those are the people that vote.

Being 43, myself, I haven't decided how I feel about it yet. I need to learn more before I form an opinion. What I DO know is that unless we get our debt and deficit under control, we risk a nation of starving people as there will be no "pie" left.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope; but that pretty well describes what is going to happen anyway
for the (somewhere between 40 and 100 million) marginal extra population who will
indeed be having a real tough time of it.

You can dress it up anyway that makes you feel better and flail at the unfairness of it all...
but the people with skills, utility, willingness to work will still have less.

What do you propose for those withOUT skills, utility and willingness to work?
There is absolutely no reason any of this has to be the case. The whole economy has been corrupted and distorted by government and big business collusion. One of the biggest things we could do to break this is end free trade and build up domestic industries again. Free trade has completely subverted the American worker. It has led to the erosion of domestic industry and driven down the collective wealth of our society. It has served only to boost the profits of multi-national corporations that have no allegiance save for the almighty dollar. And this was wrought by the hands of our politicians, who act more and more like corporate lackeys than representatives of the American public. The American public were manipulated into accepting this change as politicians and corporations played upon the American view of laissez-faire capitalism where everyone gets a fair chance to compete; however, there is nothing fair about competing with nations that are willing to destroy their environment and their labor force to extract as much profit as they can. Now as domestic industry has fallen to historic lows, the American worker has found himself at a point where his wealth has diminished tremendously. And without any source of wealth, it won't matter how cheap the goods are because no one will be able to afford them. The only people to have profited from this are the corporations and the politicians they have sponsored. The ability to create wealth as we once did has been robbed from us and we have become reliant upon the issuing of debt to maintain our living standards. We are accelerating in the direction of a neo-feudalistic world where debt peonage is an omnipresent reality.

I do not believe we should abandon anyone, whether they are 55 and under or 55 and older. We need to abandon the oligarchs, kleptocrats, and other bastards that have greatly undermined American society.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
How about the fat cat politicians taking a pay cut and them having to have the exact same benefits that the rest of us have to live with. Do away with their big pensions and only give them pensions equal to years served plus social security like the rest of us. If they want us all to make sacrifices then they should lead the way by example.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That will never work. Those are the people that vote.

Being 43, myself, I haven't decided how I feel about it yet. I need to learn more before I form an opinion. What I DO know is that unless we get our debt and deficit under control, we risk a nation of starving people as there will be no "pie" left.
I was being facetious. The whole argument is ridiculous. This isn't about generational warfare. This is class warfare. More than that, it is warfare against corruption and unparalleled greed by people at the top of the pyramid. The economy we have now isn't some natural result. It was produced by people of great power doing everything they can to extract as much wealth from the world as possible while hoarding it for themselves and breaking the backs of every other person in that pursuit.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason any of this has to be the case. The whole economy has been corrupted and distorted by government and big business collusion. One of the biggest things we could do to break this is end free trade and build up domestic industries again. Free trade has completely subverted the American worker. It has led to the erosion of domestic industry and driven down the collective wealth of our society. It has served only to boost the profits of multi-national corporations that have no allegiance save for the almighty dollar. And this was wrought by the hands of our politicians, who act more and more like corporate lackeys than representatives of the American public. The American public were manipulated into accepting this change as politicians and corporations played upon the American view of laissez-faire capitalism where everyone gets a fair chance to compete; however, there is nothing fair about competing with nations that are willing to destroy their environment and their labor force to extract as much profit as they can. Now as domestic industry has fallen to historic lows, the American worker has found himself at a point where his wealth has diminished tremendously. And without any source of wealth, it won't matter how cheap the goods are because no one will be able to afford them. The only people to have profited from this are the corporations and the politicians they have sponsored. The ability to create wealth as we once did has been robbed from us and we have become reliant upon the issuing of debt to maintain our living standards. We are accelerating in the direction of a neo-feudalistic world where debt peonage is an omnipresent reality.

I do not believe we should abandon anyone, whether they are 55 and under or 55 and older. We need to abandon the oligarchs, kleptocrats, and other bastards that have greatly undermined American society.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. What I don't understand is, now that the cat is out of the bag, how you plan to take us out of competition with "nations that are willing to destroy their environment and their labor force to extract as much profit as they can."?

Also, there will be some on the left...or maybe the right..I don't know anymore, who say that America had too much while the rest of the world had too little. That it is good for humanity that we have given this wealth to the people of third world countries. After all someone living in poverty in Darfur would give anything to live in "poverty" in America.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this. What I don't understand is, now that the cat is out of the bag, how you plan to take us out of competition with "nations that are willing to destroy their environment and their labor force to extract as much profit as they can."?

Also, there will be some on the left...or maybe the right..I don't know anymore, who say that America had too much while the rest of the world had too little. That it is good for humanity that we have given this wealth to the people of third world countries. After all someone living in poverty in Darfur would give anything to live in "poverty" in America.
Tariffs would be a start. We would be shunned for it and trade wars would occur. The transition would be painful, but it is going to be more painful to continue on the path we are on because we are destroying our ability to create wealth. The FIRE economy we have now only manipulates wealth. It doesn't create any wealth of its own. And it actually undermines the productive economy.

And yes, we absolutely need to adjust the way we live as well. There is far too much consumption in the United States. There is tremendous amounts of waste that we could do away with without sacrificing our living standards. I am not opposed to the empowerment of other countries at all. We should have been much better big brothers. We could have been models of a strong, responsible society.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no reason any of this has to be the case.
I do not believe we should abandon anyone, whether they are 55 and under or 55 and older.
We need to abandon the oligarchs, kleptocrats, and other bastards that have greatly undermined American society.
You get on that right away OK?
In abut 5 years we'll meet up to see what happened.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You get on that right away OK?
In abut 5 years we'll meet up to see what happened.
I know it won't happen. It should have happened 4 years ago, but they have only managed to shore up their position while eroding the position of everyone else. They will sell everyone else down the river before they relinquish any power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics