Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
Healthcare costs are one of the leading topics of discussion, riddled with all kinds of suggestions and proposals, none of which address the root of the problem which is high labor costs, particularly RN salaries. I know I'm stepping on toes with this topic, given the high number of RNs who probably visit this site.

However, the fact is Nursing salaries have been artificially propped up by this man-made shortage perpetuated by the silly entrance requirements and waiting lists in community college programs. I'm not talking about basic standards (those are needed). I'm talking about silly prerequisites like English classes or math even for those with bachelor’s degrees in other fields. Also, community colleges need to create more slots to accommodate the big waiting lists. That alone would basically end the so-called nursing shortage which has driven up nursing salaries to unsustainable levels. Yes, some will argue they're worth it but the salaries are just as unsustainable to hospitals as assembly line workers making over $60/hr was unsustainable to the auto sector which had to be bailed out.
Seems you're leaving out two very important factors in the cost of medical care. The LEGAL PROFESSION has priced itself out of reach decades ago. Any time anything goes into court, they get their cut. And, that cut raises the cost of the insurance that has to cover the legal costs.

As the result of an accident, a man is never able to work again. Lawsuit for $3 million is settled and the injured party gets some $70,000 out of it. Legal costs??????? $2, 970,000 ? ? ? ? ? And, of course, insurance companies are ones of the very few businesses in this country that actually can not lose money, so if they have to cover that cost, someone must pay them. Take a look at what doctors and hospitals make, then look at what they pay for mal-practice insurance. That is your high cost of healthcare. Nurses' wages don't come anywhere close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
For all this talk about how nurses make too much,I make $3 dollars less than I did 3 years ago.
So,our hourly wages are getting cut.
Notice I said hourly because very few nurses get a salary.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Rather high salaries of Lawyers, Insurance companies officials CEOs and high cost of education for doctors, nurses contribute towards high medical care costs.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 AM

177 posts, read 197,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
There are already too many nurses as it is.
We don't need any more nurses. There IS no nursing shortage.
Really, then why are RNs having such an easy time getting jobs?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
They aren't.

Business & Technology | New reality for nurses: Not easy to find a job | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I would say back in in 2010 and earlier we seemed that we could not get the nurses that we needed. Plenty of students out there looking for new jobs and we had the jobs for them. Now in late 2012 we choose who works here. We only hire BSN's or MSN's. We hardly ever hire new grads anymore. The RN's that we do have are in school, heading for school, or trying to find a way to get there BSN or MSN. The writing is on the wall, if you want to stay, increase your education.

Saying all that, We have not cut our pay. With 8 hospitals within 30 minutes and 15 hospitals within an hour of here, we have to remain competitive in the pay department. Then again when you have traditionally expected to get overtime and you don't have that anymore, that can feel like a pay cut.

In addition we are looking to the future. Within a few years the need will resume and our staff will grow within the Nursing side of the business. In our area we see the field as a growth industry that has been cut by the economy but will continue to grow over time. Our projections are that by 2014 things will improve and we will lose our ability to be choosy in who we hire. It is easy to say we only want a BSN or an MSN when a shortage in patient load occurs.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Exactly there is no nurisng shortage....its a scam to bring more workers into the force so that salaries dont go up. Anyone ever take a look at Pharmacist's salary and how their board went to great lengthe to protect their jobs from foreign grads? Did anyone take a look at Homehealth Care? My friend who is a respiratory tech stated that he goes around giving nebulizer treatments. He gets paid 75-120 each visit depending on location. Guess how much the company charges?
I've heard there's a glut of pharma grads and not enough pharma jobs as the pharmacy industry moves towards automation...that's right...automated robot pharmacists...they are coming, people.

Quote:
They aren't...at least not around here. RNs with a lot of experience and connections are doing fine. Baby nurses, as in nurses without a lot of experience? Not so much. This is according to MDs and nurses that I'm acquainted with.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicianMD View Post
There is much misinformation spreading around
The real reason why healthcare costs are high is secondary to administrative costs.
Not only that, but watch any older TV show like MASH or especially WWII footage. Patients being treated on crude wooden tables upholstered with some padded fabric. Nowadays you see $9000 Stryker Hospital beds and $2000 Surgeon stools. Is that really necessary? There are 3 or 4 Strykers on Forbes richest 400 list and that's all they do is manufacture beds, stools, and medical equipment.

I was livid when I saw Stryker beds in my local community hospital, that's line itemed on my property tax bill. Heck if we're gonna ruin the economy and outsource, may as well buy beds from China also, they can beat $9000, I'm sure.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Not only that, but watch any older TV show like MASH or especially WWII footage. Patients being treated on crude wooden tables upholstered with some padded fabric. Nowadays you see $9000 Stryker Hospital beds and $2000 Surgeon stools. Is that really necessary? There are 3 or 4 Strykers on Forbes richest 400 list and that's all they do is manufacture beds, stools, and medical equipment.

I was livid when I saw Stryker beds in my local community hospital, that's line itemed on my property tax bill. Heck if we're gonna ruin the economy and outsource, may as well buy beds from China also, they can beat $9000, I'm sure.
Of course,people wan the best healthcare.
So,those wooden beds caused much more damage in the form of bedsores,infections,etc.
So by the time you finished treating the bedsores(very expensive) you might as well have paid 9000 on the bed to prevent the bedsore in the first place.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Of course,people wan the best healthcare.
So,those wooden beds caused much more damage in the form of bedsores,infections,etc.
So by the time you finished treating the bedsores(very expensive) you might as well have paid 9000 on the bed to prevent the bedsore in the first place.
Please....we're not talking specifically about nursing homes or end of life care. A lot of outpatient surgeries nowadays are in the 5 hour range , if that. When I'm knocked out cold under anesthetic, do I care about laying on a $9000 bed, what percentage of the success of the operation depends on the cost of the bed? Is the skill of the Surgeon hampered in any way whether or not he's performing on a $9000 bed or a bed that costs a fraction of that.

What about ERs? Generally you're not in a bed long enough for sores to even become a problem.

Here's another example, many years ago one of my first jobs was for a company that manufactured surgical tools. The job was basically sit at a table and deburr, by hand metal imperfections on the tool. A manager came out and jokingly said, "Be careful with that, it costs $300". Now here is an instrument very similar to what you could find at a hobby store or Harbor Freight store, ( a pack of 5 for around $5). Trouble is the cheaper version isn't AMA approved. Oddly enough the company making the $300 instruments is all owned by Dr's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics