Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM

177 posts, read 197,749 times

Advertisements

With interest rates being kept artificially low, I would think that sooner or later, market forces would start to keep in and unleash the compressed spring, known as interest rates. I'm just wondering what the catalyst is likely to be. I for one think China dumping their holdings of US Treasuries could do the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
With interest rates being kept artificially low, I would think that sooner or later, market forces would start to keep in and unleash the compressed spring, known as interest rates. I'm just wondering what the catalyst is likely to be. I for one think China dumping their holdings of US Treasuries could do the trick.
Depends. How much will da guberment tax and how much of it will the Fed buy? How much demand for housing and mortgage debt will there be if the only other people who would buy the house has no money? How much the dollar is worth is not the issue. The issue is how hard are they to get verse what they are worth. If Americans can't get the dollars while they are flooding in to buy things up then well , not so good. One thing I do know is we don't import land. That could be cheap, but then there are already plenty of cheap places to live.

Desertland - Buy California Land

If you live there all your mortgage problems are solved.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Thats exactley what happened at the start of qe2. Bond investors were scared that qe2 would be inflationary and despite what the fed wanted they bid rates higher.

It wasnt until a few weeks in that rates came down again.

No one knows how the investors of the world will perceive the future and whether they can wrestle rates away from the fed and bid them higher again.

Is it possible to see them rise? for sure.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Thats exactley what happened at the start of qe2. Bond investors were scared that qe2 would be inflationary and despite what the fed wanted they bid rates higher.

It wasnt until a few weeks in that rates came down again.

No one knows how the investors of the world will perceive the future and whether they can wrestle rates away from the fed and bid them higher again.

Is it possible to see them rise? for sure.

Here is what it does when there is no significant equity in asset prices and no wage buying power:

Inelastic "macaroni and cheese" prices go up because the relative cost of production with expensive asset prices will raise the value of the property a mac and cheese factory. It will also shift more demand for the cheaper good. This is what makes people scream "inflation".

The part the "inflation alarmists miss is how its paid for. To pay for the inelastic demand like basic food then some luxury will slacken in demand like middle class housing where another crowd of people will scream "deflation".

It will then simply settle in for higher prices for basics while cutting back luxuries in an economic reorganization. The rich get bargain prices for luxury once in the reach of the middle class.

Low lobster demand puts fishermen in red - FT.com

The middle class then puts pricing power pressure on the poor:
The Silver Bear Cafe

Rising asset prices in this environment cause readjustments making the poor poorer and the rich richer but not runaway inflation.

Wheat prices paid no attention to the monetary bust of the great Depression.

Wheat Prices

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
It all comes down to right now food ,energy and healthcare is sucking away what little money we have to spend from our wages.

Thats at the expense of all the other sectors that are weakening.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It all comes down to right now food ,energy and healthcare is sucking away what little money we have to spend from our wages.

Thats at the expense of all the other sectors that are weakening.
Its the FIRE sector. To a lessor extend health care monopoly and the oil cartel but they do not hold a candle to the FIRE sector which makes absolutely thing except debt. All those goods and service you mention create employment. Rising asset price just add dead weight costs which locks up the economy.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 52,739 times
listen to the FED (not these guys above) that their goal is to lower the mortgage rate.

the mortgage rates are based on 10 year Tres. its at 1.64 or so. however 30 year is at 3.25 (lowest i am quoted). that means there is a big spread between 10 and 30. the spread will collapse after the election for sure.
i am quoted 2.25 for 7/1 arm and 3.25 for 30 year. closing on nov 15th. as of now i am not locking in rates.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephi144 View Post
listen to the FED (not these guys above) that their goal is to lower the mortgage rate.

the mortgage rates are based on 10 year Tres. its at 1.64 or so. however 30 year is at 3.25 (lowest i am quoted). that means there is a big spread between 10 and 30. the spread will collapse after the election for sure.
i am quoted 2.25 for 7/1 arm and 3.25 for 30 year. closing on nov 15th. as of now i am not locking in rates.
And the banks are making a killing on that spread. Estimates are that they will report profits near 20% in their next quarter.

Bank profits rebounded in third quarter - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blog Term Sheet
Mortgage bond rates, which is essentially what the banks have to pay to fund, these days from the government, home loans, have dropped much faster than actual mortgage rates, which is what consumers actually have to pay. That's opened up a huge spread between those two rates. It's nearly three times as large as usual, which essentially means banks are making nearly three times as much. "Mortgage spreads are 80 basis points larger than there were just a few months ago," says Bove. "That's just pure profit."

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
It's almost guaranteed because the United States, as a signator to the IMF, is required to participate in tough new regulations that will bump up credit costs an estimated 26 basis points in this country.

IMF says benefits of financial reform outweigh costs | Reuters

Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
Rates vary daily. It is highly unlikely you'll see a change from 3.500% to 5.500%. However, 0.500% - 1.000% do happen, depending on the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics