U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM

7,888 posts, read 4,500,067 times

Advertisements

Rate cuts verse write offs.

Go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM

31,333 posts, read 69,492,784 times
rate cuts (and threshold levels) can be accomplished in one afternoon.
write-offs require real work to have changed (and still won't happen).

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 AM

19,337 posts, read 16,932,211 times
Its irrelevant.

What is a tax cut in Pottersville?

What if no one paid taxes at all in Pottersville? Potter is the de facto government only its a dictatorship. He raises rent. So what is a tax cut?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM

5,538 posts, read 22,574,384 times
Letting politicians make decisions on taxing income is stupid. Some sort of flat tax on income supplemented with a modest consumption tax is the only way to eliminate bias... and then it must be implemented so it is very difficult to tinker with. Drive the government to control spending and promote growth.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM

7,888 posts, read 4,500,067 times
I wasn't thinking up there. So unclear.

Curious about thoughts as to the "flat tax" versus the progressive tax versus the progressive tax with write offs.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM

8,027 posts, read 11,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I wasn't thinking up there. So unclear.

Curious about thoughts as to the "flat tax" versus the progressive tax versus the progressive tax with write offs.
My view is that effective tax rates in the US are reasonably low, but it is a major headache - major headache - figuring out how little tax I have to pay after all deferrals (e.g. retirement accounts), deductions, exemptions, and credits. Therefore I would prefer an end to the shenanigans and pay a flat tax, even at a higher rate than my current effective tax rate.

But that will never happen. I'll leave it to you to enunciate the reasons.

But I'll give you a hint: the income tax structure is not about government revenue, it is about social control.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 PM

19,337 posts, read 16,932,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
My view is that effective tax rates in the US are reasonably low, but it is a major headache - major headache - figuring out how little tax I have to pay after all deferrals (e.g. retirement accounts), deductions, exemptions, and credits. Therefore I would prefer an end to the shenanigans and pay a flat tax, even at a higher rate than my current effective tax rate.

But that will never happen. I'll leave it to you to enunciate the reasons.

But I'll give you a hint: the income tax structure is not about government revenue, it is about social control.

Good Luck!
You got that right.

Da guberment creates money by going into debt. The more debt they make, the more money. So this idea that taxes are revenue is rather silly indeed.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM

15,454 posts, read 14,016,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Rate cuts verse write offs.

Go.
Both!

Get rid of income taxes altogether and just have a import tariff and an excise tax on alcohol and tobacco.

...just like pre-1913 when half of the federal revenue came from tariffs and half from the excise tax.

I was glad to hear Romney mention the import tariff last night (at the 2nd debate). There's hope.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM

32,457 posts, read 52,782,179 times
Tax theory 101: tax write-offs are a mild form of social engineering. A gentle method of encouraging behaviors in the population.

You want to make it to appear that we encourage home-ownership, but it is decided what we truly want to do is encourage borrowing at interest for home-ownership; so we allow home mortgage interest deductions.

We want to encourage workers to gain higher educations; so educational expenses are deductions.

We want to encourage adults to live in stable married households; so filing joint returns is a 'better' filing status.

We want to encourage workers to produce more workers; so having / raising children is additional deductions.

Trade Unions and Professional organizations are all seen as good; so membership dues are deductions.

Everything that is allowed as a write-off, every one of these things are things that we are being encouraged to go do.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,404,244 times
There's no such thing as "cutting taxes". One must calculate the revenue to afford the necessary expenditures, and then find a fair and acceptable way to extract the revenue from whomever you have the power upon whom to visit the levy. There is no question about how much revenue must be raised. The only question is who pays the tax and when.

Taxes must be paid by someone, sometime, and there is nothing you can do to "cut" those taxes. Except by bankruptcy or otherwise reneging on fiscal responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics