Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

Works for me as I am going to WM Sunday!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-mart/2511927/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 AM

29,800 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I'm sure a few will buy them just for novelty sake, and to compare the new product with the old. After that, it won't take long for people to realize why they stopped buying them in the first place. Hopefully, the new company downsized enough to account for the fact that this product belongs in the pages of a history book, not on the shelves of every local grocer.

For what it's worth, I hear they've developed a new formula that will give the new version an even longer shelf life. They're going to need it because these products will be slow to move.

And Walmart in Tennessee? I can only imagine what kind of circus act that must resemble.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 AM

They have likely right-sized the company now so it can be profitable. It sales were still reasonably high, but now they can ship 2 different products on one truck. That eliminates tons of excess trucking positions.

My local WM in the past stocked what appeared to be a few hundred bucks worth of Twinkies at any time, and I was told by employees the shelves turned a few times per week. Multiply that by 52 weeks, by 4,000 stores, and than multiply that by 10+ to get an idea of their US market size. It is significant.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm sure a few will buy them just for novelty sake, and to compare the new product with the old. After that, it won't take long for people to realize why they stopped buying them in the first place. Hopefully, the new company downsized enough to account for the fact that this product belongs in the pages of a history book, not on the shelves of every local grocer.

For what it's worth, I hear they've developed a new formula that will give the new version an even longer shelf life. They're going to need it because these products will be slow to move.

And Walmart in Tennessee? I can only imagine what kind of circus act that must resemble.
I had to laugh when I read this... Pretty much true. I used to love Twinkies, but it must be 25-30 years since I had one. It's sort of like the McRib.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM

I still enjoy them, as do those in my family in many states.

I wouldn't touch any McD's food.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
My local WM in the past stocked what appeared to be a few hundred bucks worth of Twinkies at any time, and I was told by employees the shelves turned a few times per week. Multiply that by 52 weeks, by 4,000 stores, and than multiply that by 10+ to get an idea of their US market size. It is significant.
Excellent, a longer shelf life for Twinkies in WM.
Occasionally, I just enjoy reading the ingredients and practicing my chemical vocabulary.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Well, I had the occasional Twinkies, so I broke down and bought a box today.

Hate to say it but it's not the Twinkie I remember. It's close, but it has this almost industrial taste to it. Hopefully this is just because it’s starting back up, otherwise any of those cheap imitation Twinkies that were out as a cheap alternative taste just the same for lower price.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM

I bought them today, too. Mine were better than ever-made in the KC plant.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM

29,800 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I bought them today, too. Mine were better than ever-made in the KC plant.
Naturally. They don't have that unholy stench of living wage union labor. The best twinkies are the ones moistened by the sweat and tears of child laborers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Hate to say it but it's not the Twinkie I remember. It's close, but it has this almost industrial taste to it. Hopefully this is just because it’s starting back up, otherwise any of those cheap imitation Twinkies that were out as a cheap alternative taste just the same for lower price.
The company said they have added another ingredient to increase it's shelf life. I would suspect that is the culprit.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
My supermarket in New England started carrying TastyKakes (an iconic Philadelphia-area cake) because Hostess was unavailable. I hope they continue with the TastyKakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics