Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You do know that the S&P 500 is the collection of the top 500 publicly traded companies, right? I don't know if you went to college or not (hope not, given your post), but in research, when you do sampling, your sampling should represent the makeup of the entire population being studied. The S&P500 is not a good sample to represent all the CEOs out there. Most of them are actually in small businesses.
OK dip***t , seeing as you seem to be the foremost authority on statistics perhaps you would like to enlighten us all with your vast knowledge of the average worth of CEO's which is more relevant than salary due to much of their compensation coming from options, and other perks.
Just what percentage of CEO's are not millionaires? What percentages are worth 10 million or more? Tell me is it "rare" for a CEO to be worth more than 10 million?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
With this President and his hordes of rampaging regulators starting with Lisa Jackson at the EPA as well as the FCC, FTC, IRS, OSHA & too many others to mention, very little given this President's hostility towards big business and entrepreneurship, as well as his vehement objections to people spending their own money in THEIR best interest as opposed to the nonstop stream of totally unnecessary government bureaucracies he keeps erecting.

The Fed is an entirely different story.

Like all Democrats, he's much too fixated on what people earn (remember 'There comes a time in your life when you've made enough money?'), as well as the fact that his party's subservience to environmentalists, civil service unions and other economy-smothering entities precludes prosperity for EVERYBODY, given the millions of people who can't find work due to the demands of those handful of people having priority over the needs of hundreds of millions of the rest of us, and his nonstop assault on the middle class, which is about to go into high gear now that he's been re-elected.
Yet I can't help but wonder... How has Canada continued to maintain such a strong manufacturing sector despite considerably higher taxes and labor costs? I have a few friends in the trades around Ontario and Alberta. The average wages per position are nearly double, although taxes bring their take home pay back in line. They also seem to have maintained some rather high paying, high skill trades that we have lost a lot of, like tool and die, mold making, etc. Those are some damn good jobs that pay very well, and require many years before a worker can even begin to be productive. That kind of work has been on the decline for nearly 2 decades now in this country. It's so bad now that most companies can't even find quality tool makers because no one has trained them in years.

I'm no fan of the democrat philosophy, but it makes me wonder... How has Canada kept it together so well, in spite of high taxes and a higher COL in many parts. They also run trade surpluses often. What are we doing wrong in this country?

If you as me, it's the profit first, sell everything else down the river mentality. Businesses here live for today, with no regard for tomorrow. What we are left with are ill trained workers only capable of crap work, and that's all in China today. We could run trade surpluses even as a high wage nation, but that would require manufacturing or producing things worth paying more for. Businesses here don't operate that way. They want to do all the easy work, don't want to train high skilled workers, and generally don't give a crap about quality. Just enough to get it out the door, and make sure never to go the extra mile. Good enough that the customer can't reject it, but not good enough to keep them coming back.

Some folks want to blame the worker, claiming they are lazy, stupid, entitled, whatever. Well yea, I like to eat food, and hopefully I have a warm place I can eat that food. Call me greedy... I blame the business environment and the max profit at all costs, which has been making us rather uncompetitive in many regards. Quit competing with China and blaming our high minimum wage... Start taking on the challenging work and training your employees to do it. Uphill battle I'll admit, but this present course just isn't working.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
I saw a listing advertised for a tool and die maker for $40/hr? We don't need armies of those guys either. We still need a few, and good luck finding them. Nobody has trained one of those dinosaurs in a good decade or two.
BTDT: It was a NICE career with great earnings, Bridged the CNC era from Flexwriters to Wire EDMs and 5 axis machining centers (but... to think my company retrofit to make 5 axis CNC lathes in the 1970's... nothing is really new) Xept Wire, and I love running WEDMs. and YEP... H1B visas are being written to get Toolmakers and Machinists into the USA, cuz we squandered the trades for 'SERVICE jobs'.

Quote:
Offshoring - what can be done about it?
well... you can always JOIN them ... I enjoy working overseas in technical positions, and training motivated, appreciative, and SMART worker bees. (as in THEY can do math...)

Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTDT: It was a NICE career with great earnings, Bridged the CNC era from Flexwriters to Wire EDMs and 5 axis machining centers (but... to think my company retrofit to make 5 axis CNC lathes in the 1970's... nothing is really new) Xept Wire, and I love running WEDMs. and YEP... H1B visas are being written to get Toolmakers and Machinists into the USA, cuz we squandered the trades for 'SERVICE jobs'.

As much as I believe the H1B visa program has been abused over the years, something has to be done. I've been in this trade for about 4 years, and what I've realized... The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know crap It's going to be a big problem when a lot of these older workers start retiring, and I don't have anyone's brain to pick...

People complain about the offshoring, yet we barely have enough skilled workers as it is to handle the work available. Yes, much of this is due to squandering, mismanagement and lack of foresight...

Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM

621 posts, read 658,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
As much as I believe the H1B visa program has been abused over the years, something has to be done. I've been in this trade for about 4 years, and what I've realized... The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know crap It's going to be a big problem when a lot of these older workers start retiring, and I don't have anyone's brain to pick...

People complain about the offshoring, yet we barely have enough skilled workers as it is to handle the work available. Yes, much of this is due to squandering, mismanagement and lack of foresight...
It is the new service economy but who does it service?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
It is the new service economy but who does it service?
I donno, but one thing is certain... It's going to be very difficult for a lot of young folks to pay off their student loans in a "service based economy"... Which is also something that has never existed in a free market, barring perhaps small tourist islands and banana republics.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I donno, but one thing is certain... It's going to be very difficult for a lot of young folks to pay off their student loans in a "service based economy"... Which is also something that has never existed in a free market, barring perhaps small tourist islands and banana republics.
But we don't live in a free market we live in a manipulated market economy. Indentured servitude is what we have. Next will be open slavery. I don't like where things are headed.

We need to make service jobs pay like manufacturing jobs use to.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,444 times
Default TAG: Feast or Famine

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article37760.html This article explains the wage inflation conundrum this country has: not adapting/adjusting to the Globalization that the USA engineered. Links’ in this article give other quasi-contrary views to keep it balanced.

Live within one's means & debt slavery becomes very difficult for the financial apparatus to orchestrate.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article37760.html This article explains the wage inflation conundrum this country has: not adapting/adjusting to the Globalization that the USA engineered. Links’ in this article give other quasi-contrary views to keep it balanced.

Live within one's means & debt slavery becomes very difficult for the financial apparatus to orchestrate.
There is a downward pressure on wages because of the high unemployment. The real unemployment rate not the published one. Yet there is pressure to get deeper into debt to become more skilled and yet the pay isn't there anymore for those skills. Oops we are in deep do do.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Offshoring/outsourcing has been a huge problem for at least 20 years, but what can be done to encourage American companies to keep their factories inside the US?
The answer is to only buy things made in America. I'm not saying you should, I'm not saying you want to, I'm not saying you will. But, it's the answer to your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics