Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

Many young people end up moving for a job and leaving their mom and dad. You have to go where where the opportunities are. I relocated for $20k/yr raise to Dallas, when the other job offers were ok. A move doesn't have to be permanent.

I know somebody that moved to California for $150k for position at a Fortune 500 company and back to Texas to be closer to family, after 3 years. It was much easier to find a comparable salary in their hometown, after they were established in their career.

If your friends want to make $10/hr, they do not have to be in the downtown metro area. Somebody with an undergrad can get $10/hr at any office outside the metro. If they get a job for double that, then it might be worth considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I am a little older and better off than a lot of the younger people I meet, but that's the situation a lot of kids are in these days.

I don't think any college degree is a "waste of time." They're at least learning skills they can use to work in a variety fields. Years ago, an Art History BA may have been to some extent not the bestest degree to get, but you could get a professional job doing something. Maybe in government or at a non-profit, or corporate marketing, or working at a newspaper or managing a retail outlet.

There are simply a lot fewer jobs. These are all our kids, so let us cut them a little slack. The majority of the ones I meet are articulate, motivated and have great personalities, and would be an asset to any employer. And maybe the differences are not as extreme, but rents these days are insane compared to income.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I don't think living with roommates is failure to launch. Actually, seems really sensible, even in lower-cost areas! It's a way to save on housing expenses.

The reality is, housing in big cities is often incredibly expensive. That's unfortunate, but at least those with family in the city often CAN live at home. Multigenerational households are fairly common in some cultures, and it makes a lot of sense in expensive cities.

And if someone doesn't want to live with parents, with roommates, or take on a really long commute (and can't afford any other options), they may have to look at opportunities elsewhere. Sometimes you've got to go where the jobs are. A lot of things in life require compromises. Yeah, it's unfortunate that people who grow up in an area can't afford it, and it's too bad that not everyone who wants to live in any given neighborhood or city can afford it, and it's sad that young adults who graduated in recent years have had a tough go of it thanks to the economy, but that's the way it is. There are things that cities can do to try to lessen the problem (San Francisco is experimenting with allowing mini-apartments to be built, for example), but in the meantime, on a practical level, there are a lot of people out there who may have to move if they want a better quality of life. Just like small-town or rural young adults may have to either choose between limited job options at home versus moving away for work, so, too, may low-wage earners in expensive cities have to decide how they define quality of life and perhaps be open to the idea of moving. Or do like they're doing, and live with parents or with a bunch of roommates until they move up the career ladder.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Forget it......

Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think living with roommates is failure to launch. Actually, seems really sensible, even in lower-cost areas! It's a way to save on housing expenses.

The reality is, housing in big cities is often incredibly expensive. That's unfortunate, but at least those with family in the city often CAN live at home. Multigenerational households are fairly common in some cultures, and it makes a lot of sense in expensive cities.

And if someone doesn't want to live with parents, with roommates, or take on a really long commute (and can't afford any other options), they may have to look at opportunities elsewhere. Sometimes you've got to go where the jobs are. A lot of things in life require compromises. Yeah, it's unfortunate that people who grow up in an area can't afford it, and it's too bad that not everyone who wants to live in any given neighborhood or city can afford it, and it's sad that young adults who graduated in recent years have had a tough go of it thanks to the economy, but that's the way it is. There are things that cities can do to try to lessen the problem (San Francisco is experimenting with allowing mini-apartments to be built, for example), but in the meantime, on a practical level, there are a lot of people out there who may have to move if they want a better quality of life. Just like small-town or rural young adults may have to either choose between limited job options at home versus moving away for work, so, too, may low-wage earners in expensive cities have to decide how they define quality of life and perhaps be open to the idea of moving. Or do like they're doing, and live with parents or with a bunch of roommates until they move up the career ladder.
From my point of view, I think a reduction in regulations would lower rental prices. The cost of compliance w/ the regulations in the city where I have my rental is one of the reasons I can't offer cheap rent or provide breaks for my long-term tenants who may be having difficulty.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
From my point of view, I think a reduction in regulations would lower rental prices. The cost of compliance w/ the regulations in the city where I have my rental is one of the reasons I can't offer cheap rent or provide breaks for my long-term tenants who may be having difficulty.

theres somethings that you can control, and some that is not. you cant control prop taxes, insurance, etc. also you have to make a profit, and on top of everything there are people that will try and ********* over and whatever you profit in a few years can be wiped out by 1 bad tenant that wants to milk the system. you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM

460 posts, read 981,768 times
I started out renting a room for 700 in Berkeley right after college, also where I went for my undergrad. It is quite humbling thinking you landed a real corporate job after going to a world-class college and all you do is pay off student loans and live in a shack at the ripe age of 22.

Remember all the tv shows of families you watched growing up? Full House taking place in San Francisco and Modern Family of today? Well, that's how the top 5% live, whose breadwinners are nurses, pharmacists, lawyers, and other highly skilled professions. The media feeds an image that is nothing like the middle class. OP needs a reality check.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
IMHO, the OP has a clear vision of the future. I might humbly suggest your friends find a lower cost city to live in.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Depends how far you want to reduce them. Do we want to see places like this dotting the landscape of America?

We might be better off with roommates being the new norm. Reduced property taxes to match falling real estate values and incomes would be even better, but cmon, let's be realistic here ...

Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The younger generation once tried hippie communes as a strategy to keep down their costs of living. The "conventional" demographic did not applaud their effort. People just starting out in their adult lives are still under heavy pressure to conform to the Middle American models of lifestyle propriety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics