Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
... And if consumers demand low quality, cheap, easily breakable crap, than it makes sense to go to the country that has the lowest labor rates and ease of doing business. Inevitably though, China will realize there is more money in making the high quality stuff that consumers are willing to pay more for, just like Japan did.
The sad fact is that in countries with hordes of low skill / low education / low ambition attitudes a strategy of "mass premium quality" is a recipe for failure. Look at how Japanese firms from Sony to Pioneer to Panasonic have been decimated in their efforts to pull this off -- think back to Betamax VCRs, the original Walkman with its jewel-like fit & finish, Pioneer audio or video products from the height of their quality, the current situation of high quaity Panasonic plasma sets getting trounched by cheaper junkier Korean sets...

The reason firms that make precision goods of luxury products in high wage countries can thrive is becauase the whole mindest of a place like Switzerland is setup to foster "specialness". People that are well trained and responsible don't do idiotic things like stay home from the polls or vote for the smoothest liar, they don't spend more than they earn or support politicians that do the equivlent thing by stoking huge deficiets.

The United States is rapidly shifting from a country that once did have an invincible drive to succeed to a pathetic land of losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Because of this thread, I checked out the Carhartt coats at Meijer. They had several coats there. All but one was made in Bangladesh or Mexico. The one American made coat had an outer fabric akin to burlap. Kind of an orangish-tan color like you see workmen use and not my preference for casual wear. If they had a black or blue one with less coarse fabric, I might be interested.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
I like the video.

Was it necessary to show cute little girls playing with cute little puppies though?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I would suggest that you get a job as a manager at a McDonalds, and see what it's like trying to get your "proud" workers to show up at 6 am to work.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Because of this thread, I checked out the Carhartt coats at Meijer. They had several coats there. All but one was made in Bangladesh or Mexico. The one American made coat had an outer fabric akin to burlap. Kind of an orangish-tan color like you see workmen use and not my preference for casual wear. If they had a black or blue one with less coarse fabric, I might be interested.
At least you did the right thing and looked for American made first. If we all bought American first some of the jobs might come back. I will not buy anything made in China unless there is no other choice and then only if I must have the item.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would suggest that you get a job as a manager at a McDonalds, and see what it's like trying to get your "proud" workers to show up at 6 am to work.
This is a matter of work ethics or the lack of any work ethics at all. Parents & schools do a less than great job of teaching social ethics today.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
if you want to see the pride we have in american craftesmanship check out my new chrysler product.

after 25 years of only bmw and nissan i decided to give chrysler a chance.

besides 2 different kinds of fenders that didnt even match on each side of my jeep there is a design flaw in the pentastar engine and the heads are failing. just had a head replaced on a brand new vehicle. dealers are changing heads like crazy now.

i wont even get into the drips in the rain through their freedom top.

if this is american quality we are in big trouble.

Oops! Jeep factory puts wrong fender flares on '12 Wrangler

Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you want to see the pride we have in american craftesmanship check out my new chrysler product.

after 25 years of only bmw and nissan i decided to give chrysler a chance.

besides 2 different kinds of fenders that didnt even match on each side of my jeep there is a design flaw in the pentastar engine and the heads are failing. just had a head replaced on a brand new vehicle. dealers are changing heads like crazy now.

i wont even get into the drips in the rain through their freedom top.

if this is american quality we are in big trouble.

Oops! Jeep factory puts wrong fender flares on '12 Wrangler
I don't know what the major problems is with Chrysler but their quality has been just pure junk for decades.

When I was a lad of 18 I ordered my first new car after I got a full time job. That car was a 1964 Plymouth 2 dr. business coupe with a 4 speed on the floor and a 426 hemi cross ram engine in it with a locker box at the rear painted business gray. A car like this today isn't possible since the factory won't accept custom orders like they did in '64.

That car never gave me a seconds trouble and was built like a tank. Then in 1970 when I got outta the military I went to buy a wagon for my growing family. What I saw in the chrysler show room made me wanna cry the quality was that bad! I've stayed away from Chrysler for decades now since they still build junk.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Chrysler sucks. Buy Ford

Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
If anything its back to bmw and nissan i go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics