U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,535,497 times

Advertisements

This video moved me to tears as I was reminded of the grassroots pride of honorable people that work with their hands right here in America. I was born blue collar and I will die blue collar........

Remember this pride when you buy your work clothes from now on and buy American.

Carhartt - Category - Made in the USA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM

18,094 posts, read 15,424,558 times
So, they have a special line for American made items so they can leverage the buy American market, thus demand higher prices from this market segment who value place of production above any thing else. I congratulate them and wish them success.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM

6,586 posts, read 2,847,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, they have a special line for American made items so they can leverage the buy American market, thus demand higher prices from this market segment who value place of production above any thing else. I congratulate them and wish them success.

I wore carharts for many years when I worked on the railroad.I tried all the other cheap brands.......

You learn fast when your outside for hours at a time in below zero weather.

Carharts were the only insulated coveralls that actually kept the wind out.You could feel the cold creeping into the other cheap ones...........they also took twice or three times as long to wear out.. well worth three times the cost,of the cheap ones. weven though they were not hardly one and half the cost.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM

17,345 posts, read 16,055,420 times
Quote:
This is not a matter of a "special line to leverage the buy American market". This is a product of exceptionally high quality that the customer is willing to pay more for. When you see European countries with higher costs of living than ours running trade surpluses, these are the types of items they are exporting. High price tag, high quality items that the customer acknowledges is worth the price. Glad to see some American companies staying true to the sound tradition.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,689,444 times
I have to say when i bought the last USA manufactured apliances i 1999 for my house of a brand that I always thoguht higly of ;there were more crappy assembly problems they I could beleive.I think some assemble is stil good but not like the past as far as pride i work .Even wtchig the auto workers that were inteviewed about auto the =y knew were defective and sendig them out as they said for dealers to deal with was shockig to me. The attitude of the manger of assmbly at Fors I watched in a meetings recorded when the new CEO form Beoig came in was shocking,. Theybasically admitted that to save cost they ocerlooked things that where not well designed to get the car out into production.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM

7,412 posts, read 6,906,926 times
Havent seen American made carhartt's in years and quit buying them,all I can find are made in Mexico or Nicaragua.the USA made ones were top quality and I still have a couple of the double knee carpenter pants. must be an old video or they dont sell the made in USA line in CO or NM as I looked everywhere, all imported.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM

12,743 posts, read 17,728,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have to say when i bought the last USA manufactured apliances i 1999 for my house of a brand that I always thoguht higly of ;there were more crappy assembly problems they I could beleive.
I have to agree. I have a GE refrigerator/freezer that blows an expensive circuit board if you install the wrong bulb in the door. GE sells both bulbs and even the owner's manual is not clear as to which bulb is used.

I reluctantly stopped buying American cars when the auto industry began protecting themselves by engineering so that only highly trained mechanics could make what was formerly a very simple owner repair. And too, sometimes it took a $1200 special tool to make a $200 repair. Unfortunately foreign car makers have now learned the American tricks.

But on the subject of Carhartt, one has to wonder where they get their textiles, their thread, or their metal buttons for their clothing? It's now a global market and ignoring that fact can easily result in a feel-good consumer situation at a very expensive price.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I wore carharts for many years when I worked on the railroad.I tried all the other cheap brands.......

You learn fast when your outside for hours at a time in below zero weather.

Carharts were the only insulated coveralls that actually kept the wind out.You could feel the cold creeping into the other cheap ones...........they also took twice or three times as long to wear out.. well worth three times the cost,of the cheap ones. weven though they were not hardly one and half the cost.
And this has to do with what? Carhartt is admitting their items are junk unless they are made in America? How about produce quality clothing all the time? Why the need for a special line to put extra stitching in an item so it will last? Where is the material for this stuff coming from?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is not a matter of a "special line to leverage the buy American market". This is a product of exceptionally high quality that the customer is willing to pay more for. When you see European countries with higher costs of living than ours running trade surpluses, these are the types of items they are exporting. High price tag, high quality items that the customer acknowledges is worth the price. Glad to see some American companies staying true to the sound tradition.
They can produce the same quality anywhere, it is just a matter of doing so. It does not have to be American made to be quality. A company can make the same item anywhere, Carhartt is just leveraging "buy American" so they can ask a premium price for it. Plus, stating only their American made stuff is quality means the rest of it is garbage.

A company can make the same quality anywhere, it is just a matter of effort.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM

6,586 posts, read 2,847,538 times
Quote:
And this has to do with what? Carhartt is admitting their items are junk unless they are made in America? How about produce quality clothing all the time? Why the need for a special line to put extra stitching in an item so it will last? Where is the material for this stuff coming from?

watch the video.............I was just commenting on the fact that i tried alll kinds of cheaper winter clothing. it was not worth it,and carhart was the best quality that I found...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics