U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 01:13 AM

9 posts, read 19,566 times

Advertisements

It's going to be a buisness of dog-training, dog & cat grooming, pet boarding, animal rescuing, and fish, birds & reptile sales. I'm planning on getting a professional dog-training cerficate within a year. What else should I do? Where do I start? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

MODERATOR CUT: DELETED

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-17-2012 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: solicitating/advertising on CD forums is not prmitted nor are users with less than 10 posts allowed to post links.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,485,124 times
Service and sales? Seems like you're, err, biting off a bit much.
If I were in the market for a sugar glider, I wouldn't go to a dog trainer. Conversely, if I needed my Springer Spaniel groomed, I wouldn't want to take her to a fish store. You might narrow your focus a bit.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM

9,728 posts, read 19,335,655 times
If I wanted to get involved with pets in MY community, I'd learn to be a pet groomer. Here they're all booked up a month in advance! I used to take my dog to a groomer in my neighborhood. She converted her double-car garage and did all the grooming herself. She got her start by putting fliers around the neighborhood. Unfortunately her health deteriorated to the point she had to quit, but her business was booming.

Once you get a booming business, you can expand, hire helpers, move to bigger quarters, expand, hire more, etc., etc. OR, you can continue with your small, profitable business that you know works.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,071,196 times
You're obviously going to be smart in the 'taking care of animals' department....try and learn about the business side of things. Maybe you want to interview and hire someone who's really smart in businesss to be your partner, that way, you can just concentrate on the animal part of things while your partner can concentrate on the business side of things.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,430,810 times
When I lived in Indianapolis, IN I had a pet groomer come to my house in a hightop van that she did all grooming in for cats and dogs. I paid 60.00 for a bath and groom for my long haired cat and did it every 3 months. She was booked solid.

Here in Nebraska I only get charged 35.00 but not near as good and is done at the vet and takes along time to get appointment, cause person only works couple days a week.

Mobile grooming would be a plus in any area. imo

Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 AM

19,431 posts, read 26,715,980 times
maybe im a bit whacked, but here is a concept, I wished I had a few years ago, when I had to put my dog down.

I think millions of folks delay the inevitable-bring their pets in to have them put down -to the vets,,,,thats one of the longest drives....knowing you are bringing in your beloved pet to be put down..

if their was a business called something like Pet Cemetery, the Green Mile for Pets....where they'd come to your home and pick up your pet ...to be put down.....not a taxi service,,,but a pick up service also to be put down.

maybe just the pick up taxi service would work- create a snappy name,,,pitch the idea to a few vets in the area, that you offer pick up for the pet....

I would have paid for this service a few years ago....
it was hell bringing my dog in to be put down...

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,430,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maybe im a bit whacked, but here is a concept, I wished I had a few years ago, when I had to put my dog down.

I think millions of folks delay the inevitable-bring their pets in to have them put down -to the vets,,,,thats one of the longest drives....knowing you are bringing in your beloved pet to be put down..

if their was a business called something like Pet Cemetery, the Green Mile for Pets....where they'd come to your home and pick up your pet ...to be put down.....not a taxi service,,,but a pick up service also to be put down.

maybe just the pick up taxi service would work- create a snappy name,,,pitch the idea to a few vets in the area, that you offer pick up for the pet....

I had to put down my very much loved kitty of only 3yrs. It was a very hard day for me and wife and took about a month to get on, but think about daily. You are right that would of helped somewhat.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM

12,061 posts, read 9,792,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

But dont you want to be there when he finally passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics