Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ARE THE LOW WAGES PART OF USA PROBLEMS?
Yes 102 51.78%
No 95 48.22%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times

Advertisements

Minimum Wage jobs are NOT meant to be Primary Household Income jobs but a secondary job, teen-ager job, or a "pin money" job(I like that term).

If you want to compare income levels in different parts of the world with completely different economic models you need to compare expenses too... $8.50 vs $20.00 is meaningless in-and-of-itself.

There can be drastic differences in the cost of living within different parts of the US, this is something the job search counselor in college told us to keep in mind when looking at job offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you arent supposed to pay off student loans and raise a family on minimum wage. its supposed to be for the least skilled worker. you dont want minimum wage? develop more skills.

No, the government is quite insistent that those who earn minimum wage repay their student loans, and often garnish the minimum wages of those who do not. Plus they tack on a substantial 'fee' for their 'services'.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Minimum Wage jobs are NOT meant to be Primary Household Income jobs but a secondary job, teen-ager job, or a "pin money" job(I like that term).

If you want to compare income levels in different parts of the world with completely different economic models you need to compare expenses too... $8.50 vs $20.00 is meaningless in-and-of-itself.

There can be drastic differences in the cost of living within different parts of the US, this is something the job search counselor in college told us to keep in mind when looking at job offers.

Sorry, Charlie. Half of all minimum wage workers in US are over the age of 25.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
the government is quite insistent that those who earn minimum wage repay their student loans, and often garnish the minimum wages of those who do not. Plus they tack on a substantial 'fee' for their 'services'.
You're describing a voluntary impoverishment.
This has NOTHING to do with whether what minimum a wage pay is intended for.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
And yet people are graduating, not finding work in their chosen field, and having to pay off their student loans and raise a family on minimum wage. Which of course, they will never be able to live long enough to pay it all off. The America dream, or nightmare, depending on how you look at it.

A few years ago I calculated that at my current monthly payment it would take me 41 years to repay my student loans, except I'll be dead before then. Without the hefty fee the government is charging me for garnishment services, the loans would be paid off in under 10 years.

The Treasury is making a considerable sum of money off student loan defaulters.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there are multiple reasons for these problems but raising the minimum wage isnt the solution.

Got a solution?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito
Actually teenaged and young adult unemployment is pretty high due to all of the adults presently stuck in minimum wage and entry-level jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
About 5% of workers make the minimum wage. Most people don't stay in those jobs.

Half of all minimum wage workers are over the age of 25.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Forcing raises is NOT a good idea.

It will mean people being let go because they are not more productive than they cost! (people for work for others do not think of this)

WHY should someone get more just for doing the minimum for a length of time?

One of the guys I hired, went from $10/hour to $13/hour in 6ish months.

He was willing to work, worked hard, and learned new skills.

One pay raise was given when it was seen, 2 others he asked for, made a case for, and got.

If a worker is worth the money, he will be paid it to stay on.

Minimum wage jobs often do not have benchmarks by which workers can make a case for a raise. It's not as if they get yearly performance evaluations or reviews.

At my previous job, two dozen employees were all paid within a 20-cent range (max was 20 cents above minimum wage).

Do you care to argue with a straight face that the worth of every single worker was within such a narrow range?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
So as the title suggests. Why is the minimum wage in USA so low? And another thing half the populations works for like $10/Hr or less. I think it's one of the problem in USA which has hurt the economy to some extent ever since the year 1990 when nominal prices (forget real prices as they'll paint a worst picture) started to outpace wages which have stagnated.
Like most issues, there are two sides to this one. One one hand, we'll have the conservatives bringing up good points such as, the minimum wage being intended as a starting point for young people rather than a lifetime wage, that businesses will have to increase prices as wages increase, and that people have a responsibility to improve their skill sets if they want higher wages.

On the other hand, we'll have the liberals bringing up equally good points such as, more money in the hands of consumers will benefit the whole economy, sub living wage incomes put additional demand on the taxpayers via increased need for social programs, and the idea that some companies exploit workers in this economy by offering a low wage knowing desperate people will take it.

The way I see it, all of these are true to some degree, but they are just symptoms of the real problem. The real problem is that we have eliminated far too many jobs where regular people could reasonably expect to start at the bottom and work their way up to a decent standard of living. We have allowed entire industries to be off-shored to China and other low cost parts of the world instead of keeping them here. It isn't just manufacturing or factory jobs anymore either. The white collar world has been affected by this too. Technology, finance, and customer support type jobs have been especially hard hit in the last decade.

What we're left with is a service based economy. Most service jobs don't pay a whole lot and we have more and more people trying to get these jobs.

Equally important is that we have a currency which simply isn't worth anything. Inflation goes up while the real value of our money goes down. This hurts working people more than anything else IMHO.

I have more to add to this. Be back shortly.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 15,510 times
Default wage

Make money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics