Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times

Advertisements

Many here were saying that it was just a matter of time and economics before interest rates on savings and CD's returned to a healthy 4-6% like before the crash.

I'm here to tell you savers that interest rates will NEVER return to anything above 1%. QEI is putting so much money into banksters' coffers that they see no need to lose money paying interest to savers who have proven they will keep their money in the banks, even at .05% interest.

I've taken appropriate action relative to my own finances. I have enough in savings and real estate to comfortably draw down the principle for 15-20 years--my life expectancy at the outside. I will simply spend it all down and die broke like Stephen Pollan advises in his mega bestseller of the same name. That is my middle finger to Dimon, Stumpf, Moynihan, Blankfein and all the other crooks who run our crooked banking system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM

106,556 posts, read 108,696,306 times
i must have said it a hundred times already.

cash is an asset class like any other and it carrys risk as well despite the fact most ill-informed folks didnt think so.

the fed just about sent out sky writing planes saying rates will be low to zero so why didnt folks just buy bonds instead instead of cd's for their idle cash...

the capital gains from these nice low rates was just wonderful and it may still continue but now its late in the game.

you cant hide in any asset at the wrong time and not think its not going to hurt you.

its not even just america. the world banks are dropping rates in countries all over the world .

Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM

621 posts, read 658,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

the fed just about sent out sky writing planes saying rates will be low to zero so why didnt folks just buy bonds instead instead of cd's for their idle cash...
Because cash in the bank tends to balance trade. It stops outsourcing. buying bonds drive the real estate bubble The Fed is trying to re-blow.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM

None of the above makes sense.

Then dont complain when you get zero!

Banks couldnt care less about your deposit, they get all they need from daddy fed.

They dont even have takers for that money with the world,business and the consumer shedding debt.
Banks make money borrowing short term from the fed or depositors and loaning long term for mortgages or buying longer term treasuries and making money on the spread.

Your logic above has no merit at all.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-06-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
The strange thing is that QE is menaty to force people into equities. But so far is has worked really. It seems that people like int eh 70's recession wioll take losss with low inflation over trusting the markets in equities.The 70's recesssion ended in a genration of people leavig the stocks and investing more in real assets.What we have seen this time is elimination of debt and savings even with twenty somethings. Looking at componies they are buying back stocks and holding huge amounts of money rather than investing in M&A.No change in risk off at all.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
Because cash in the bank tends to balance trade. It stops outsourcing. buying bonds drive the real estate bubble The Fed is trying to re-blow.
cash in the bank has nothing to do with balancing trade... what i think you mean is BOP , balance of payments but again that still has no merit .

as far as out sourcing keeping our money in bank has nothing to do with whether we out source or not.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
cash in the bank has nothing to do with balancing trade... what i think you mean is BOP , balance of payments but again that still has no merit .

as far as out sourcing keeping our money in bank has nothing to do with whether we out source or not.
Saving dollars would I suppose strengthen the dollar which would simply mean that someone else would spend more or we would tend to export less. So I agree with you. Saving green paper just does not mean much. Investing in in something people overseas want to buy would help the balance of trade. This ought not be confused with simple abstinence. Buying bonds from a business might help the balance of trade. However with high real estate prices compared to developing countries its quite difficult. We also lose many dollars in from the reserve currency effect which means the dollars never make it back to cause demand in the US and support international trade.

So in short, saving it in a bank will do nothing for the balance of trade.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM

nah , not at all , none of those reasons the poster gave are valid. in fact you cant even go by weak dollar or strong dollar.

when the dollar was weakening the last time around foreign central banks were dumping dollars weakening the dollar but you know what they were buying?

good ole american TIPS.

YEP TIPS.. they were hedging by selling dollars and buying tips . tips though dont record as dollars so while the dollar was showing weakness the reality was the foreigners were loading up on our tips.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post

YES, the Fed's are inflating a new bubble as we speak. More and more speculative investors...in some areas, are once again pushing housing into the bubble range.

This country cannot and will not fix structural problems.....quick and dirty is the best we can do.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 AM

what area has housing back in a bubble ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics