Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It would just kill you to read a legitimate source for once in your life.

Oh, yeah, we forgot, you read LEAP 2020 and GlobalResearch (snicker).

You're such a loose canon anymore you're not worth reading................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Wait, so he dollar is going to nothing so we need to spend it now to make sure we don't lose everything...but you say in the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/econo...s-holiday.html you tell everyone to save their money this holiday season. How can you believe both completely opposite view points at the same time?

You also say in this thread to buy American in order to save the economy, but if it is already in the death spiral that cannot be changed then why does it matter? I don't understand, please explain.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

I notice you ignored the question again regarding your ownership of that so-called blog so I'll ask. Are you are the owner or administrator of economiccollapsebarfbag? I'm surprised City Data hasn't asked as I believe it is against the TOS here if you are and you are promoting that site.

So, again, are you?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
It would just kill you to read a legitimate source for once in your life.

Oh, yeah, we forgot, you read LEAP 2020 and GlobalResearch (snicker).

Funny how I'm right all the time your sources are wrong 100% of the time.

By the way, where is the USS Enterprise (snicker)? Uh, well, it's not in the Middle East and it will never be in the Middle East again. In fact, it won't ever sail again -- except to the scrapyard. Three carriers in the Persian Gulf -- except one of them is really docked at Norfolk getting ready for its decommissioning ceremony next week.

Interesting how I knew that, but your, uh, "reputable sources" at ECB, Global Research and LEAP 2020 didn't know it.

Yes, we do.

I'll ask you again, since you skipped over my question on another thread -- in which I debunked your silly ECB nonsense --- do you own ECB? Do you have any financial interest in ECB?

When ECB dies.....

Mircea

Once development reaches critical mass, the US and the US Dollar become irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. BRIC knows that....so does the US.

I suspect the real reason the US is sending troops to Africa is to stop development, or at least slow it.

Strategically...

Mircea

Your economy is not recovering and even during the Great Depression there were periods of economic growth.

It's all part of the cycle.

Worse than that, everything you're seeing is a sham. The FICA tax cut was stupid, and when it ends, what few gains you made will be wiped out. And then there's Obamacare and all of the regulatory actions that will go into effect -- like EPA Tier 3 which requires sulfur to be at 10 ppm for gasoline -- that will drive gasoline prices up permanently.

The underlying problem is that the US cannot compete globally, due to the extreme difference in wages between American workers and the rest of the world. So long as that is true, your economics problems, including your employment problems will persist.

Economically...

Mircea
if the problem is truly the extreme difference in wages, the the best thing we can do is print money fast to bring down our labor cost with respect to China, Russia or any other competing nation. I don't subscribe to that idea myself.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM

261 posts, read 512,630 times
Why does the dollar only have to die. Why haven't all of the other currencies died yet ? Or why cant they die. It just has to be more low key US hating. What sad is it is on every forum--rather its related to video games or other wise people just have to take their swipes.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju
Because it is nuts. The US isn't a banana republic. It is the world's leading economy.
Correction.... WE WERE THE WORLD'S LEADING ECONOMY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
How fast is china growing?

How fast is the US's economy contracting?

When will China be the world's leading economy?

What will happen to the good old green back when that happens?

We are printing 2/3 of the US government's budget shortfall each year. Is there anything coming our way that will dramatically expand our tax base and cut our spending?

What happens when a government simply prints the money it needs to use to run itself?

Ya I'm nuts all is well as we drive off the cliff.
China's economy is actually growing pretty fast. While we've been waving our flag and pronouncing that "WE'RE NUMBER ONE", China has not been sitting back on it's haunches. And, we've been playing right into their hands. Look at how many of the things we buy that are made in China, especially the high-tech items like I-pads. American State-of-the-Art Technology, imported from China. Indeed.

But, don't take my word for it. Read it for yourself. This was on MSNBC.

Quote:
In just five years, China has surpassed the United States as a trading partner for much of the world, including U.S. allies such as South Korea and Australia, according to an Associated Press analysis of trade data. As recently as 2006, the U.S. was the larger trading partner for 127 countries, versus just 70 for China. By last year the two had clearly traded places: 124 countries for China, 76 for the U.S.
China overtaking US as global trader

And, as for the US Dollar, by printing money as we come up short, we devalue the dollar. For decades it has been used as the "World Reserve Currency". Countries around the world trade it for debts and hold it to back up their own currency. As we devalue the dollar, it becomes less and less attractive for that purpose. The more money we print, the more value they lose in the US Dollars they have held in reserve. Prior to the 1950s, the British Sterling was the standard. Then, it was our turn and we're working on losing that. When we are no longer the world standard, our costs will spike. Very likely, we'll be looking at another "great recession", just like the one England went through in the '50s when they were replaced. Possibly a depression.

So, if you just stay on the bleachers, waving the flag and chanting "WE'RE NUMBER ONE", you'll be chanting yourselves right into the poor house, while someone else sneaks by you. And, "business as usual" in Washington is one of the major reasons we're slipping so badly. But, we help them along every time we buy something that's not made in America. We've got a long way to go in order to get back to the top, and stay there. You need to open your eyes, get your butts off the bleachers, and get into the game.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM

621 posts, read 658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Why does the dollar only have to die.
It isn't
Quote:
Why haven't all of the other currencies died yet ?
The Euro is dieinjg.
Quote:
Or why cant they die. It just has to be more low key US hating. What sad is it is on every forum--rather its related to video games or other wise people just have to take their swipes.
We are sitting fat and pretty saying we don't have to worry because we are number one and will always be number one. China isn't listening to us. They are just building their economy up and they have 3X as many people living their as we do here.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Information is vital to a democracy, that's a given, so, rather than arguing back and forth over the fact that most posters don't read from the same sources I'd like to offer my own views on the world of info. Over the years I've read from the far left to the far right and whatever I could find in between. The Spotlight news is about as far right as one could imagine and the various anarchist publications emanating from the university crowd being it's counterpart on the left.

Throughout these opposing view publications you will see some evidence of common ground emerging, that's to say that the bulk of American's generally like their country, most want the same things but can't always agree on the best path to achieve their own version of the American dream. Welfare, big to do, lots of posts generated over this subject. Taxes, same ballyhoo, lots of predictable responses. Education, hundreds of posts in a single thread. Politics from a party perspective, well, we all know this subject gets a lot of attention.

So if these issues are found to be the most pressing ones by the majority of us why is it that we seldom find a sane, scholarly form of discourse on most CD forums? The present state of our economy is common knowledge, yet we see the multitude of posts that offer up a simple one liner, is that supposed to prove the superiority of the economy of words or is it just becoming an American thing to say the least about the subjects that we agree matter the most? Bar room talk, that's what so many CDer's are creating here.

Now on the thread; Our fiat currency has long been the key currency for the world's trade, but is it going to continue that way?
This is one of those things that we know little about. I have yet to meet too many people who really understand the complexities of modern economic constructs, our or those of other nations. That said, it stands to reason that the key trading currency will always be a reflection of national power and military might, and the U.S. hasn't got a lot to be worried about on that score. Some here have offered the view that our lack of competitiveness is a major problem for America, well, maybe the low man's America, but capital and it's managers don't necessarily have a specific country that they would claim as their own, most happen to live here but their far flung operations have created a somewhat different picture for our national economic well being.

China, a nation built on the back of all that mindless American consumerism will find their fate tied to ours just as their meteoric rise to international manufacturing fame was. Those who deem the game of economics and capital in particular to be in dire straits haven't caught on to the fact of it's huge impact on world affairs, capital IS the game now, it IS the only game that matters. No longer can we think that there is some division between economic theory and it's practical application, "monopoly capitalism" rules the world, it is the economic equal of the big box mentality it created.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Wait, so he dollar is going to nothing so we need to spend it now to make sure we don't lose everything...but you say in the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/econo...s-holiday.html you tell everyone to save their money this holiday season. How can you believe both completely opposite view points at the same time?

You also say in this thread to buy American in order to save the economy, but if it is already in the death spiral that cannot be changed then why does it matter? I don't understand, please explain.
Wow, you caught on fast.

Good for you.

Unfortunately, many people are not nearly as bright as you, and they get sucked up into those kind of web-sites that prey upon people, and attempt to exploit their ignorance or fear (or both). It's disgusting.

Maybe you can help others see more clearly.

Commending...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Yeah, I pretty much blasted holes in your nonsense.

So, when are the "too big to fail banks" going to fail?

We all still waiting for that to happen.

Charge 5....

Mircea

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Quote:
Yeah, I pretty much blasted holes in your nonsense.

So, when are the "too big to fail banks" going to fail?

We all still waiting for that to happen.

Charge 5....

Mircea
Actually, Grandpa Pipes is a bit more on target than you are.

The "too big to fail banks" don't have to fail. They've already been bailed out and can now sit it out till it's over. You and I, on the other hand, can't just sit it out....

It's the ones that should have been bailed out to begin with that are still waiting. Our great government is leaving them to fend for themselves as best as they can. And, it's not working well at all. How else would you get something like 47% of Americans collecting food stamps. And, do not condemn either the food stamp programs or the people collecting them. There was a time that most of them were not collecting anything. They were working and supporting a much smaller number of those that were collecting back then. And, get the economy turned around, and they will be paying taxes and contributing again. The majority of the "99%" are not a bunch of dead-beats.

Unfortunately, Washington is listening to a bunch of college educated idiots that probably be given a drug screening. They're looking at numbers, and adjusting them to suit their opinions, and the folks at the bottom are seeing nothing at all changing for the better. But, they are expecting things to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics