U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM

5,369 posts, read 10,283,190 times

Advertisements

It is no real mystery.

The IRS will even tell in advance if you wish to ask >>>

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,144,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Umm... What?

Most unionized workers I know do not get OT. The reason is the unions want as many people working as possible, and that means no OT if there are workers waiting for work. The few plumbers and electricians I know claim OT is extremely rare, especially at their pay rates of +$40/hr.

Non union shops are a much different animal. They find it cheaper to hire fewer bodies and make them work OT due to the obscene cost of health insurance. When holidays come, it's also cheaper to pay one idle body than 2.

If anything, it just sounds like work is slowing up and the companies are spreading the burden around, instead of resorting to layoffs. Maybe they grew a heart?
Ha! Unless you are with the UAW because they are paying OT & ALOT of it at their GM plants...

Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,379,482 times
A new trend in my area is hiring for 25 to 28 hours a week, 5 days a week, but have the hours split up during the day. Example, 9 to 11 and then come back 2 to 5. These are office positions. Absolutely no benefits, according to the ads. They want to tie up your whole day for a part time job.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,929,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
A new trend in my area is hiring for 25 to 28 hours a week, 5 days a week, but have the hours split up during the day. Example, 9 to 11 and then come back 2 to 5. These are office positions. Absolutely no benefits, according to the ads. They want to tie up your whole day for a part time job.
How horrible!!!

What city or state are you in?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM

49 posts, read 49,268 times
The reason for cutting people to under 40hrs/week is so that they are not considered 'full-time' and do not need to be given benefits or health insurance. The costs of keeping a full time employee are not as financially feasible as they were 6 months ago so employers now are turning them all into part timers/IC's and the like.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,908,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
The reason for cutting people to under 40hrs/week is so that they are not considered 'full-time' and do not need to be given benefits or health insurance. The costs of keeping a full time employee are not as financially feasible as they were 6 months ago so employers now are turning them all into part timers/IC's and the like.
This is just one reason but the main reason for established employers is the demand is down, especially on manufacturing this time of year (most everything is already made for this year). They do not want to lose trained employees so they "short time" them which keeps the valued employees on the payroll as well as reducing their cost in line with the demand.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM

49 posts, read 49,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
This is just one reason but the main reason for established employers is the demand is down, especially on manufacturing this time of year (most everything is already made for this year). They do not want to lose trained employees so they "short time" them which keeps the valued employees on the payroll as well as reducing their cost in line with the demand.
While i agree with you that demand is down, i do not believe it is an annual cyclical issue that your post would imply. Demand is down across the board due to dried up credit, austerity, inflation and all the other factors that go along with this recessions. The reason for switching employees to part time, which has increased dramatically in the past year, is due to employee benefit requirements based on full-time/part-time status. The passing of Obamacare is the reason, like it or not.

I do agree with you on your other notion however, that employers would like to keep employees on the payroll instead of letting them go, but i believe this is primarily due the fear of having to pay them unemployment.

I would like to state that my comments are in regards to low-wage, unskilled hourly positions such as service and retail industry jobs, although it is happening across the board.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Status: "Bartlet, er Biden, for America!" (set 21 days ago)

31,229 posts, read 68,788,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
I do agree with you on your other notion however, that employers would like to keep employees on the payroll instead of letting them go, but i believe this is primarily due the fear of having to pay them unemployment.
Well, lets say that is one of several motivations.

Others:
Losing what training and skills that these people (who otherwise are not being fired) do have.
Losing leverage over the remaining people to take what the Co. is dishing out.
Losing the flexibility to occasionally bump hours without going into OT rates.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post

And it keeps the employees from drawing unemployment if the company would just out and out lay them off

Old 12-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
How horrible!!!

What city or state are you in?

Midwest.

These are office jobs -- not factory jobs.

And yes, the main reason for the 25 hours a week is the Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics