U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 33,530,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There are tightwads, with a sizeable income, that smell bad too. Too cheap to buy soap, too cheap to wash their clothes, too cheap too use the electricity, or just too lazy!!

I used to do home care on someone, and his stinking next door neighbor used to visit, with Social security and a pension, was just that tight with his money. Perhaps part of the smell came from his dumpster diving in the neighborhood! He'd come over mornings to collect used coffee grounds to re-use in his coffee maker!
my grandpa believed that deodorant caused alzheimers disease. he never used it. he would shower a couple of times a day but inevitably there were some moments where he was a bit stinky. he wasnt rich, but by working hard for many years, saving up money and searching the paper for whatever bank had the highest interest rate, he managed to accumulate about $700k + a $150k home by the time he died.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,776,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are you also under the FALSE impression that if the government stopped subsidizing them that ALL of your 2% tax dollars will be RETURNED to you??

Many of you are under the impression that the reason the country owes TRILLIONS is because of government "handouts" and the poor is to BLAME for all of this country's financial ills.

Do you really believe that your pre-tax $500 a week salary will suddenly jump to $600?

If so, then you are a FOOL! If anything taxes will STILL be raised for some other crap the government deems necessary and you'll have streets full of homeless lining the sidewalks, back alleys and abandoned/foreclosed houses begging for change and food.

Also, please understand that ANYTHING the GOVERNMENT has a hand in is a SUBSIDY. This includes MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY. Doesn't matter if you paid into it. If the GOVERNMENT has to GIVE it to you, then it's an ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM.
Assume a self employed individual started contributing to SS at age 18 and paid in the maximum until he retired at age 66. Then assume that INSTEAD of paying all that money into SS it was invested in an index fund like the DOW, S&P etc. Wanna bet the amount of return will be a heckuva lot larger on the invested funds?

That is NOT an entitlement.

GL2

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM

33,031 posts, read 23,830,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my grandpa believed that deodorant caused alzheimers disease. he never used it. he would shower a couple of times a day but inevitably there were some moments where he was a bit stinky. he wasnt rich, but by working hard for many years, saving up money and searching the paper for whatever bank had the highest interest rate, he managed to accumulate about $700k + a $150k home by the time he died.

Yes I remember when the aluminum in many deodorants got attention as a possible cause of Alzheimer's.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM

61 posts, read 135,315 times
Quote:
I've never criticized successful people. I'm not upset at Romney for being a billionaire. I find the "method" in how he earned his money to be messed up, but he did it legally.

I created this thread, because most of the people complaining about the poor talk about how their "taxes" are going to fund these lazy good for nothings.

I was just wondering if they really believed that they would get an $100 dollars or more in their checks if the government told the poor and EVERYONE ELSE GETTING GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES IN SOME FORM to kiss off.

Hmmm, having less debt (less people receiving subsidies), spread over more tax payers (those off benefits now have to work and start paying taxes).... Seems to me that my share would have to decrease.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM

9,261 posts, read 18,054,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes I remember when the aluminum in many deodorants got attention as a possible cause of Alzheimer's.
It's actually anti-perspirant that contains aluminum, not deodorant.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM

16,017 posts, read 17,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Assume a self employed individual started contributing to SS at age 18 and paid in the maximum until he retired at age 66. Then assume that INSTEAD of paying all that money into SS it was invested in an index fund like the DOW, S&P etc. Wanna bet the amount of return will be a heckuva lot larger on the invested funds?

GL2
Actually, it still is. It's a rip off and more of a wealth-transfer mechanism than a completely self-funded pension in the form of forced savings via taxation, but it's still an entitlement.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM

16,017 posts, read 17,947,032 times
Quote:
I've never criticized successful people. I'm not upset at Romney for being a billionaire. I find the "method" in how he earned his money to be messed up, but he did it legally.

I created this thread, because most of the people complaining about the poor talk about how their "taxes" are going to fund these lazy good for nothings.

I was just wondering if they really believed that they would get an $100 dollars or more in their checks if the government told the poor and EVERYONE ELSE GETTING GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES IN SOME FORM to kiss off.
It'd be way, way more than $100. Social security, medicare, and unemployment and disability insurance is 15% . Assuming 26 checks a year, $100 is only $2600. Which means for a person to only get $100 more means they'd be making around $17k. Now factor in all the things not covered by FICA taxes -- EITC, breeding tax credit, marriage tax deduction, mortgage interest tax deductions, electric car tax credits, medical insurance tax deductions, farm subsidies, ethanol subsidies, corporate welfare, road subsidies (although you'll pay that back in higher gas taxes). That's just some of the ones that, if I had my druthers, I'd remove. I'm for government provided education, military (although not as much), police/fire, parks and recreation (although maybe not for billionaires and millionaire pro-athletes). But if you want to be literal about it, they are subsidies.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
NCN

21,139 posts, read 22,947,901 times
Quote:
Are you also under the FALSE impression that if the government stopped subsidizing them that ALL of your 2% tax dollars will be RETURNED to you??

Many of you are under the impression that the reason the country owes TRILLIONS is because of government "handouts" and the poor is to BLAME for all of this country's financial ills.

Do you really believe that your pre-tax $500 a week salary will suddenly jump to $600?

If so, then you are a FOOL! If anything taxes will STILL be raised for some other crap the government deems necessary and you'll have streets full of homeless lining the sidewalks, back alleys and abandoned/foreclosed houses begging for change and food.

Also, please understand that ANYTHING the GOVERNMENT has a hand in is a SUBSIDY. This includes MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY. Doesn't matter if you paid into it. If the GOVERNMENT has to GIVE it to you, then it's an ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM.
I think you first need to identify what poor is. Some people are poor in material things but rich in friends. Some people would think I was born poor in the mountains of North Carolina. My parents never made me feel poor. I don't remember ever being told by them that we were people to pity. My mother thought we were rich beside of those people living in town on top of each other. We had 100 acres to roam around on. Anything we needed was mostly provided by this acreage.

Poor to me is a person that has lost hope because they have no friends, no family, no health, no nothing. Very few people in the United States come under that heading unless their sinful living has/have taken them there.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,783,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think you first need to identify what poor is. Some people are poor in material things but rich in friends. Some people would think I was born poor in the mountains of North Carolina. My parents never made me feel poor. I don't remember ever being told by them that we were people to pity. My mother thought we were rich beside of those people living in town on top of each other. We had 100 acres to roam around on. Anything we needed was mostly provided by this acreage.

Poor to me is a person that has lost hope because they have no friends, no family, no health, no nothing. Very few people in the United States come under that heading unless their sinful living has/have taken them there.
All that may well be true, but this is the Economics Forum, which means we are talking about jobs, finances, money, taxation, and so forth. Your subject matter would more properly fit in Great Debates, or Philosophy, or Psychology.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 PM

748 posts, read 1,002,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

GL2
That’s 1 way of thinking about it, just as long as a self-employed individual made it through the last ~7 years—just sayin. Also, if you think about it, having the USGov’t/Taxpayer making sure your stock market investments don’t falter is a type of SSI IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics