U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM

5,931 posts, read 5,567,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
According to the IRS the top 10% of earners pay 70% of US income taxes... the bottom 50% pay 2.7% of income taxes.
Since bulk of the income gains is shifted to top 10% (most of the gains being appropriated by top 1%) while income of bottom 90% stagnates or falls, who do you think have the money to pay 70% in the taxes? 30 years more of the same and top earners would earn lion' share of the national income, they would own most of the national wealth, just like ruling "elites" in a bonafide Banana Republic do, yet the right wing cabal would keep pointing fingers at toiling masses that "don't pay taxes".

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-07-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 AM

5,931 posts, read 5,567,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Pay is based on skill/intelligence/work. If you are unskilled/unintelligent/lazy - you should expect to be poor - unfortunately those unskilled/unintelligent/lazy folks have teamed up to all vote the same way - so we end up with what we have - an idiot for a President and a bunch of unskilled, dumb, lazy people with their hand out looking for someone elses money.
Wrong, pay is based on your place in the pecking order of an organization, that's why managers (even the most inexperienced, mediocre if not dumb) are paid more than the most educated, experienced & uniquely skilled grunts.

The only "skill" that makes you truly rich is the skill of putting other people to work (on your behalf), it's the only skill that matters. If rich folks are so superior why do they need bunch of those lazy poor folks working? Silly question, huh?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM

12,161 posts, read 11,807,747 times
Quote:
Ignorance...that is all that video is.

I dont know any really intelligent hard working poor people, but I do know plenty of hard working intelligent rich people...funny how that works.

The people who believe this are the same people striking outside of a McDonalds demanding $16/hr and health care to flip hamburgers....

Pay is based on skill/intelligence/work. If you are unskilled/unintelligent/lazy - you should expect to be poor - unfortunately those unskilled/unintelligent/lazy folks have teamed up to all vote the same way - so we end up with what we have - an idiot for a President and a bunch of unskilled, dumb, lazy people with their hand out looking for someone elses money.
I seriously doubt you know many poor people or rich people for that matter. No class has a monopoly on stupidity and laziness. You'll find stupid, lazy rich people and hard working, intelligent poor people and vice versa if you look for them.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM

5,369 posts, read 10,282,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
if following Jesus's word makes me a liberal, what does the religious right follow?
That one is easy.

The Pharisees.

All the same day, all the same game, just the names change a little bit to protect the guilty.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM

5,369 posts, read 10,282,597 times
Quote:

In life there are always 2 decisions - the good one and the bad one...then there are always 2 options, the easy way and the hard way. The bad decision and the easy way almost always mean that your choice will have an effect on your future.
Sometimes there are two bad choices -- Choose Neither.

Sometimes there are two good choices -- Choose Both.

Quote:
In High School in stead of doing drugs, getting drunk every night . . .
(like say maybe the last President . . . )

Quote:
and having babies successful people, of all economic backgrounds study and prepare themselves for college...In college, instead of partying all the time and enrolling in worthless BA degrees,like History, Art, or Psychology,
And business, finance, and MBAs . . . .

But really we could use some skilled folks in those areas you are slamming, yunno?

Quote:
. . . successful people study Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Pre-Med, etc...After college instead of taking the first middle class job that they are offered, successful people enrolled in grad school, choose a specialty, or select career paths that had growth opportunities.
pssst. Mark. I have some of those degrees and titles . . . but you are making us look like total @ssholes.

I do that well enough on my own, mkay?

Here is the real deal. We are all mostly just midgets standing on the work and shoulders of millions of dedicated, kind, sincere, and decent hardworking Americans of flavors, and SES levels, who have went before and are surrounding and supporting all of US. Most of US had at least some benefit of the gifts of from the [ALL] the folks in the US.

And . . . here is my real point . . . A Little F#$%ing Gratitude would go a long way.

So. Thank You, America. Thank You, Texas. Thank You, US Army, and Thank You to my Professors. And all the other folks who I had no idea helped me along the way.

Quote:
The difference between the poor and the rich is not background, its smart choices.
But mostly birth.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,355,917 times
^^

Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,068,737 times
The video was private.....

Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM

621 posts, read 593,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Because the top 10% earns all the money!

The bottom 90% would probably owe more than they earned for the year if they paid "their fair share". I wish I could afford to pay more, but this guy got my raise, and I think he stole my gf
Do you see why I say a $30 an hr minimum wage? That is one way to push the bottom up to keep the top from pulling away to badly.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 9,170,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Let's assume that Mr Obama gets his way, the Republicans cave and agree to let marginal tax rates rise on taxable income above $200,000/$250,000.

Rest assured that over the next year or two, both parties working quietly together will pass in stealth more special-interest deductions, exemptions, credits and other loopholes, buried in other legislation, headline or obscure, that keeps effective tax rates the same or even reduces them.

Unfortunately the distinction between marginal and effective tax rates, just like the distinction between income and wealth, is lost on most people and all of this is simply propaganda and political theater designed and directed to make those same unskilled/unintelligent/lazy people to whom you refer to feel a little bit better about themselves, akin to the money illusion that works almost every time, most recently putting around 25% of them of them eye-ball deep into home debtorship.

Just be astute enough to take advantage of the new loopholes that come into effect - if and when they apply to your situation - gifted to you by democrats and republicans alike - there's no difference - in the year or two after any increase in marginal tax rates, by then those unskilled/unintelligent/lazy will be in deep sleep. Just remember to pay your accountants/tax lawyers, the same democrats and republicans alike who make the tax rules, there's no difference.

Good Luck!
Great post.... Was just having this conversation with my SO yesterday. We concluded that, in the long-run, these tax changes will have minimal effect on us as our accountant and tax lawyer will show us the path to take advantage of new loopholes. I am also sure the stealth exemptions will come.

Legally moving funds to affect personal incomes, business profits/expenses, capital gains, trusts, etc... This is the American way and it will continue. It is the game that, as you say, the "unskilled/unintelligent/lazy" people don't fully understand. Maybe I would add "unsavvy." I know a lot of very intelligent, skilled, hard-working people (e.g. highly paid professionals) who are financially unsavvy. Maybe they don't have the drive or time to learn/take advantage of the situation. Maybe they think it's too risky.

But this is the way an Average Joe can move from mid/upper middle class to become truly financially independent or "rich." So many of my friends are dual-income professional couples in the highest tax bracket with absolutely no tax shelters. Smart people making $300k-$500K with good credit who can't be convinced to set up a trust, or start a small side business, or buy a tax sheltering investment property over a depreciating luxury car.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,718,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
Do you see why I say a $30 an hr minimum wage? That is one way to push the bottom up to keep the top from pulling away to badly.
Inflating the minimum wage would only increase the cost to make/serve products...thereby inflating the cost of those items. The owners of the companies would not just absorb pay increases and make less, they pass the cost on so that they make the same.

Suddenly $30/hr means that a happy meal cost $19....Dont even get me started on how US exports would drop to zero b/c instead of being twice as expensive as other countries goods, were 4x more expensive.

Its a global economy - everything is interconnected. The only way to correct the debt in this country is to first correct the spending. The debt is the symptom of the problem. The problem is the spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics