U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,622,027 times

Advertisements

No wonder they are afraid.
FoxNews viewers will actually understand it.
It's a cartoon, afterall.

Tax the Rich: An animated fairy tale - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM

21,238 posts, read 20,588,625 times
hahaha @ 3:00

Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Status: "I vote for policies, not personalities." (set 4 days ago)

15,447 posts, read 13,910,094 times
Oh brother! Another erudite dissertation from and for the liberals. Can you explain it with Playskool toys?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,718,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
No wonder they are afraid.
FoxNews viewers will actually understand it.
It's a cartoon, afterall.

Tax the Rich: An animated fairy tale - YouTube
Ignorance...that is all that video is.

I dont know any really intelligent hard working poor people, but I do know plenty of hard working intelligent rich people...funny how that works.

The people who believe this are the same people striking outside of a McDonalds demanding $16/hr and health care to flip hamburgers....

Pay is based on skill/intelligence/work. If you are unskilled/unintelligent/lazy - you should expect to be poor - unfortunately those unskilled/unintelligent/lazy folks have teamed up to all vote the same way - so we end up with what we have - an idiot for a President and a bunch of unskilled, dumb, lazy people with their hand out looking for someone elses money.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM

7,955 posts, read 11,693,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Ignorance...that is all that video is.

I dont know any really intelligent hard working poor people, but I do know plenty of hard working intelligent rich people...funny how that works.

The people who believe this are the same people striking outside of a McDonalds demanding $16/hr and health care to flip hamburgers....

Pay is based on skill/intelligence/work. If you are unskilled/unintelligent/lazy - you should expect to be poor - unfortunately those unskilled/unintelligent/lazy folks have teamed up to all vote the same way - so we end up with what we have - an idiot for a President and a bunch of unskilled, dumb, lazy people with their hand out looking for someone elses money.
Let's assume that Mr Obama gets his way, the Republicans cave and agree to let marginal tax rates rise on taxable income above $200,000/$250,000.

Rest assured that over the next year or two, both parties working quietly together will pass in stealth more special-interest deductions, exemptions, credits and other loopholes, buried in other legislation, headline or obscure, that keeps effective tax rates the same or even reduces them.

Unfortunately the distinction between marginal and effective tax rates, just like the distinction between income and wealth, is lost on most people and all of this is simply propaganda and political theater designed and directed to make those same unskilled/unintelligent/lazy people to whom you refer to feel a little bit better about themselves, akin to the money illusion that works almost every time, most recently putting around 25% of them of them eye-ball deep into home debtorship.

Just be astute enough to take advantage of the new loopholes that come into effect - if and when they apply to your situation - gifted to you by democrats and republicans alike - there's no difference - in the year or two after any increase in marginal tax rates, by then those unskilled/unintelligent/lazy will be in deep sleep. Just remember to pay your accountants/tax lawyers, the same democrats and republicans alike who make the tax rules, there's no difference.

Good Luck!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM

17,676 posts, read 16,249,730 times
Ok, raise the income taxes if you would like. Allow the capital gains taxes to go up as well. The highest wealth brackets will still pay a smaller percentage on their income than the middle class/working class because so much of their income derives from capital gains, and their lower tax bracket. Just the way it is, and the way it always will be.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM

5,532 posts, read 22,458,231 times
According to the IRS the top 10% of earners pay 70% of US income taxes... the bottom 50% pay 2.7% of income taxes.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM

17,676 posts, read 16,249,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
According to the IRS the top 10% of earners pay 70% of US income taxes... the bottom 50% pay 2.7% of income taxes.
Because the top 10% earns all the money!

The bottom 90% would probably owe more than they earned for the year if they paid "their fair share". I wish I could afford to pay more, but this guy got my raise, and I think he stole my gf

Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM

4,298 posts, read 8,092,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Let's assume that Mr Obama gets his way, the Republicans cave and agree to let marginal tax rates rise on taxable income above $200,000/$250,000.

Rest assured that over the next year or two, both parties working quietly together will pass in stealth more special-interest deductions, exemptions, credits and other loopholes, buried in other legislation, headline or obscure, that keeps effective tax rates the same or even reduces them.

. . .

Just be astute enough to take advantage of the new loopholes that come into effect . . .

Good Luck!
The MLB free agents who are signing contracts this month are asking for signing bonuses - to be paid before the end of December. (Signing bonuses are normally offered to draft picks, not free agents.) Yep, they'll find a way not to pay.

MLB Players Fear the 'Fiscal Cliff', Too!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,055,164 times
if people who love money are complaining they want another week in martha's vineyard, or another mansion with a 20 car garage, while people are starving in the street, or people are being killed because we cannot fund police departments, or even people getting ill from unscrupulous food producers because we cannot afford to pay inspectors then that is immoral.

as Jesus commands we take care of each other. the loving of money over other peoples lives, those we know and don't know, is a sin.

Quote:
Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."
Matthew 25:34-36
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics