Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,520 times

Advertisements

First post. Thought there were enough economically knowledgeable folks here to give this question a shot that I've been wondering about.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the forum beyond this post and create good discussion.

So here goes...

Considering that most money these days are just numbers on a server somewhere, I'm wondering how hard it would be for a savvy individual to just create his own u.s. dollars in a bank account?

Follow me. Suppose this person incorporates a business in, say, the Isle of Man. If we go to the Society for Interbank Funds Transfer's website we can find that an obscure company like COUTTS AND CO (MANX) LIMITED (whoever that is) has a Swift Code...meaning (I think) that they could have access to send financial transfers through swift.

Consider further that u.s. dollars outside of United States Jurisdiction ("Eurodollars" as they're called) are not really known as they aren't regulated in the same way the United States money supply is...

Why is not feasible for some guy to come along and Swift transfer $1 million to a U.S. bank account that he "created" on a computer server somewhere on the Isle of Man? It'd be enough to make him rich but hardly a drop in the bucket when it comes to the amount of money that is transferred through swift.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM

837 posts, read 1,794,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p03tic Just1ce View Post
First post. Thought there were enough economically knowledgeable folks here to give this question a shot that I've been wondering about.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the forum beyond this post and create good discussion.

So here goes...

Considering that most money these days are just numbers on a server somewhere, I'm wondering how hard it would be for a savvy individual to just create his own u.s. dollars in a bank account?

Follow me. Suppose this person incorporates a business in, say, the Isle of Man. If we go to the Society for Interbank Funds Transfer's website we can find that an obscure company like COUTTS AND CO (MANX) LIMITED (whoever that is) has a Swift Code...meaning (I think) that they could have access to send financial transfers through swift.

Consider further that u.s. dollars outside of United States Jurisdiction ("Eurodollars" as they're called) are not really known as they aren't regulated in the same way the United States money supply is...

Why is not feasible for some guy to come along and Swift transfer $1 million to a U.S. bank account that he "created" on a computer server somewhere on the Isle of Man? It'd be enough to make him rich but hardly a drop in the bucket when it comes to the amount of money that is transferred through swift.

Thoughts?
Besides it being illegal? Does that count?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 AM

882 posts, read 2,084,654 times
Harder than you think, and you left out most of the steps required. Put the bong down & go to work, 'mkay?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM

837 posts, read 1,794,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Harder than you think, and you left out most of the steps required. Put the bong down & go to work, 'mkay?
Problem #1: SWIFT doesn't transfer money...

Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM

20,970 posts, read 19,434,375 times
Ever think of working for the U.S. Treasury?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM

48 posts, read 87,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Ever think of working for the U.S. Treasury?
good laugh thanks

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,505,269 times
Sort of did this for a while.

Got so fed up with the Corporate Banks, I opened a Privately Held Trust Company.

We could issue our own credit, commercial paper, UCC, etc.

Actually worked better than "real" money.

Worked Great.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,783,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoted Title:
Why couldn't a tech savvy private individual just create money?
The US Treasury has been doing that, and they devalued the Dollar in recent years. When a tech-savy individual does it, it's punishable crime called Counterfitting.

Also, no matter how tech-savy they are, there are safegaurds that are capable of differenciating counterfit from real currency. Not to give tips or anything, but if somebody wants to print money out, it's best to print smaller notes, no larger than $5 bills, and avoid depositing huge sums into an account, in fact it's best to keep them as Cash On Hand and spend them as needed to avoid being caught, or at least hope he or she doesn't get caught.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,520 times
Lol guys. I realize this is a bit ridiculous and a crime, but hey.

I realize SWIFT is just a messaging service but functionally it is like a real time gross settlement system, almost, like say, FEDWIRE. Sure it'd be "electronic counterfeiting" (I guess you would call it?) but people counterfeit paper currency all the time. I suppose I'm surprised individuals haven't attempted electronic versions of this given that most currency these days are just data on a server some where.

Seems to me a couple complicit FED or SWIFT employees could get the wheels going on something like this.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,581,341 times
Default Electronic counterfiting

What makes any of you think this is not already happening. Maybe the OP has invented a preexisting scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics