Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,610 times

Advertisements

le roi: You can’t talk Keynes anymore! The Western World kept the idea of deficit spending (job creation) & discarded the “paying it off” idea (increase taxes). Because of this incremental disregard for discipline, debtor behavior now crowds out saver behavior. The Keynesian concept of the citizenry working less hours & having more leisure time was ignored as well! I understand he didn't praise saving, but I don't think debt-driven serfdom was his idea?

Then came the ingenious “no need for recessions” quasi-Keynesians: more emphasis on carefree low interest rate policy—fused with fiscal spending—to benefit society (anti-deflation). After all, prosperity, via low cost credit expansion, was why the human race lives on this planet! Once the Economy was saturated with credit expansion, the mantra “deficits don’t matter” became popular.

What we have now is TOTAL reliance on Gov’ts to pay off MASSIVE public & private debts; which cleans up the playing field. The Big Business/Banks patiently sit back & wait until the time is right for positive inflation parameters to materialize. This is called Moral Hazard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Keynesian Economic : Government Stimulus

So you take money off people who earn it, then the government takes a huge handling fee, then the pennies find their way to you. The only people who are better off are those taking the handling fee. I wonder where Krugman fits in.

Obama thinks that treating the symptom will make the cause go away? By treating the symptom and ignoring the cause will only result in collapse.

Is this what Obama wants?

Another person who obviously never read the theory. What is your theory about people having opinions on subject matter where they are wholly and willfully ignorant?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM

768 posts, read 879,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p03tic Just1ce View Post
You choose a convenient stopping point. It was not until the large weaponized keynesianism of WWII correcting for the austerity of 1937 and the inadequate size of the New Deal that the perpetual high unemployment that characterized the Great Depression was defeated.

If military spending is such a 'stimulant', why didnt the USSR boom in the 80s, when as much as 70-80% of GDP was directed to military endeavors?

FWIW i always valued Keynes social views far more than his economic ones.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
If military spending is such a 'stimulant', why didnt the USSR boom in the 80s, when as much as 70-80% of GDP was directed to military endeavors?

That's nice. Which part of what you said is Keynesian?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post

The USSR was a communist country not a capalist one major difference.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The USSR was a communist country not a capalist one major difference.
The other is Keynes never called for Military spending. In his theory I believe it would fall under better than nothing during a depression.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM

621 posts, read 658,265 times
You need to size the stimulus to push the A/D line where you want it.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
le roi: You can’t talk Keynes anymore!
i will talk about whatever i feel like DSOs

maybe if you answer my questions i will keep talking to you

your rant about Dick Cheney and Ronald Reagan being Keynesian is full of holes, as they did not adhere to any single ideology.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p03tic Just1ce View Post
You choose a convenient stopping point. It was not until the large weaponized keynesianism of WWII
Weaponized Keynesianism?

you do realize that "keynesian" is not interchangable with 'government spending', right ?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Weaponized Keynesianism?

you do realize that "keynesian" is not interchangable with 'government spending', right ?

Right behind you. It was a revival of one of the points of the Ricardo Malthus debates. It always helps to read the theories people have opinions about.

The idea that we can safely neglect the aggregate demand function is fundamental to the Ricardian economics,
which underlie what we have been taught for more than a century. Malthus, indeed, had vehemently opposed
Ricardo’s doctrine that it was impossible for elective demand to be deficient; but vainly. For, since Malthus was
unable to explain clearly (apart from an appeal to the facts of common observation) how and why effective demand
could be deficient or excessive, he failed to furnish an alternative construction; and Ricardo conquered England as
completely as the Holy Inquisition conquered Spain. Not only was his theory accepted by the city, by statesmen and
by the academic world. But controversy ceased; the other point of view completely disappeared; it ceased to be
discussed. The great puzzle of Effective Demand with which Malthus had wrestled vanished from economic
Highlighting of course the idea of too much "stimulus" .

Why should we suspect that Ricardo, a bank lobbyist, might hold finance as being innocent of impact? I believe we owe Keynes a good deal to question this idea which seems rather obvious to me. To appreciate that it does not mean you are for every pork barrel project that comes along.

Ironically both the Keynsians and the Austrians agree. Finance is out of control. Either one would have been preferable to the abomination we ended up with which lacked economic credit stimulus for the real goods and service economy or Austrian market discipline. We starved the real economy of credit in a most anti-Keynsian way and lavishly rewarded bankers in a market abomination to keep asset prices out of line with real value. We offended both Keynes and Rothbard simultaneously and that takes some doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics