U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,549,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Imagine a world without electricity. In te United States, the last thing people will be wanting is gold or silver.
Gold is a shiny bauble with no real value other than that we artificially place on it because it is pretty looking. Glass beads had the same effect on North American Indians when the Europeans arrived. How exactly did that play out for them?

That being said, I'll buy/sell gold because so many people think a rare, yellow metal has more value than a common grey one, but I still think of glass beads and Indians when I do so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM

165 posts, read 279,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I have waited 3 1/2 months to take delivery of platinum ..
recently, the place I bought from called and offered substitutes
which they do not even offer for sale on their website..
not getting too much into this conversation, but instead of
Maple Leafs I chose Isle of Man nobles from the 1980s above
US Eagles or Australian Koalas.. they only did this for me because I've
waited so long. It is true, there is a separation from the "wall street manipulators"
and the REAL physical market in all 4 PM's we talk about, go ahead,
look online and see where you can by 5+ Isle of Man platinum nobles
for anything close to the so-called trading price of platinum.. you can't.
Isn't the Isle of Mann some kind of windy rock off the coast of England?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM

9,982 posts, read 7,295,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Beaver View Post
Isn't the Isle of Mann some kind of windy rock off the coast of England?
it's not that small, has over 85k residents and 221 square miles.
btw see a video from the Pobjoy Mint here:
(also you will see they started making the first British platinum coin,
the ones of which I spoke, in 1983 on the list)
the mint is not on the isle of man, it's in southern England.

Pobjoy Mint Ltd - About Us

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,053,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Gold is a shiny bauble with no real value other than that we artificially place on it because it is pretty looking. Glass beads had the same effect on North American Indians when the Europeans arrived. How exactly did that play out for them?

That being said, I'll buy/sell gold because so many people think a rare, yellow metal has more value than a common grey one, but I still think of glass beads and Indians when I do so.
Glass beads can be cheaply mass produced in quantity limited only by the amount of silicon in the earth's crust. Try making gold.

Many things are "worth their weight in gold", including US one-hundred dollar bills and Mickey Mantle's rookie card. As long as things exist that people desire, there will be a medium of exchange. Pick one.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-07-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM

16,270 posts, read 28,557,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Putting 100% of my "money" in gold, silver, platinum, palladium
and also for the first time thinking of adding some more rare metals
such as osmium, iridium, rhodium, etc.

The proverbial is going to hit the fan, and even if it doesn't, governments
are only going to inflate, monetize debt. Financial infrastructure is terribly
vulnerable and manipulated. Can see "bank holiday" happening, not a joke,
and ATM cash restrictions.

Thinking about converting 50%-100% of my "cash" into metals
then selling the metals as I need to use cash only "as needed".

Totally off the books also.

Thoughts ?
My thought is that you are a little late to the party. I see bargains in other investments. Holding gold is fine but you may want to wait a few years when it drops. What I see is lots of people thinking the sky is falling and they will buy gold and other metals, usually at the top of the market. Real estate is down right now and that market is just starting to get warm. Stocks have been increasing for a bit and I see them continuing for some time. The deal is that those that watch these trends can get the deals while others buy to late. What do you plan on doing? Selling when gold hits $500

I have no idea where the market is going but I do like to watch the hurds of people to get a clue on things. What I have concluded is never follow the hurd, always run to what is not hot right now.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM

yeah, well, I'm not ruling out real estate which pays, meaning rental property only..
remember, in order for gold to go down, interest rates are going to have to rise
substantially higher, that's just one part of the equation keeping gold up..
and interest rates going higher would also kill the real estate recovery..
so there's a catch 22.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 16,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I believe that the idea the US will fall into chaos is embraced by two sorts of people: The mentally ill and the chronically unsuccessful. The mentally ill have been standing in public with signs claiming "The End Is Near" since the beginning of time. The chronically unsuccessful have never been able to thrive in normal society, so they fantasize that one day they will be king of some Waco style compound and prove their worth with guns and stockpiled MREs.

If you drop out of society to live a simple uncluttered life then I applaud you. If you are considering dropping out due to paranoid fear encouraged by other barely educated mouth breathers, seek medical attention immediately.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
The few people that I know that believe in the "End is Coming" are socially awkward and are WANTING society to collapse, so maybe they would be in a position of control. Kinda sad.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM

guess what guys, platinum is now worth more than gold
it hasn't been higher than gold for about 15 months.

Live Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium Quote Spot Price Chart - Kitco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or