Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting the initial phase of my taxes, kind of to get the shock over with while I still have time to come up with the money. My question is in regards to my wife's income.

We live in MD and she works just over the line in DE so they take out both MD and DE taxes from her check. I have been assuming that she would get a refund from DE but it doesn't seem to come out that way. She owes several hundred more to the state of DE in addition to the hundreds already withdrawn from her check and she doesn't even live there. That is on both the turbo tax and H&R Block sites. I remember being payed from a NY company before having NY taxes taken out of my check and getting every dime back since I lived in MD, and H&R block did the taxes. Does it sound normal to pay state taxes in 2 states? Hell, I thought DE was a tax free paradise. What I'm seeing is it's about the same as here in MD, but since my wife works in DE shes getting taxed double. Ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
See here:

http://revenue.delaware.gov/services...booklet_nr.pdf

It looks like you should complete the Maryland form first, then the Delaware. On the Delaware you get a credit for tax paid to Maryland.

See page 11, line 44 worksheet.

All I can say is I am very glad I live in GA. The calculations are much easier.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 AM

24 posts, read 46,511 times
She should be filing Deleware as a non-resident and than Maryland's taxes as a resident (complete Deleware's taxes first). When she file's Maryland's taxes, she should be given an additional form (502CR) to claim the credit for the taxes she paid to Deleware. I am not sure if filing status makes a difference in the credit (e.g. Married filing separate, claimed as a dependent under spouse, etc.) but it would be interesting to look into further.

Reference source: Maryland Income Tax Information - Working Outside of Maryland

Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 AM

24 posts, read 46,511 times
Correction to my reference source to my previous post--

Please see:

Maryland Income Tax Information - Working Outside of Maryland

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Thanks for the info. It looks like she'll have to file in DE and pay what is owed to that state on top of what was taken out already but she'll get a credit on our MD taxes. It seems strange to me to have to pay taxes to DE but as long as she's not getting double taxed and gets it all back in the way of a subtraction from our MD taxes its OK I guess.

My guess is that the H&R Block & turbotax sites don't include that form on the basic tax levels or I need to look a little harder. Perhaps I'll just do our federal taxes electronically and do the state taxes the old fashioned way.

What a PITA! At least I have a few month's to go over this.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Ordinarily, you need to file taxes only in the state of your residence. Any taxes that are withheld in another state should be refunded to you in full, but you'll need to file a return in that state to do so. Any taxes that are actually paid to another state should be credited to you in your state of residence. In practice, your total state tax liability should be the highest of any state in which you nave an assessment, but it doesn't matter which state you pay that amount to.

The paymaster where you work should be deducting taxes according to the schedule for your state of residence only and remitting the funds to that state, leaving you only to file in your state of residence. But if there are no other or very few employees from your state, they might not be prepared to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics