Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,445,898 times

Advertisements

Hostess CEOS Take Pensions from Employees - YouTube

These are funds employees paid from their paycheck in order to contribute to their pensions, and the management that ran Hostess into bankruptcy confiscated it in order to run company operations. This violates their contract and the law. However, so far there are currently no plans to charge them with any crime. If there is not enough money in the company assets to put this money back the employees get nothing. The executives were paid bonuses after destroying the company and committing illegal actions.

It astonishes me that people wonder why corporate greed is hated in America. Tens of thousands of people are being robbed to line their pockets out of pure greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 AM

33 posts, read 31,372 times
Reminds me of a arty about Eastman Kodak these people worked there for most of their lives and they paid into a pension and do not have anything not that EK has filed backruptcy

Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 6,192,513 times
Quote:
It astonishes me that people wonder why corporate greed is hated in America.
Don't stop looking there. What do you think is happening in Washington with our Social Security and Medicare? If politicians can raid our national pension fund, then surely it's ok for a few CEOs to do it too, right? THAT'S the one we should all be scared of. Washington makes Wall Street and Corporate America look like petty thieves.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM

105,761 posts, read 107,756,464 times
which is why every politician should automatically serve 2 terms.

one in office and one in prison.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,498,895 times
Maybe a corporate bounty list would help.

Geee, if GW, the (R)s, the MBAs and CEOs could have only privatized Social Security . . . think how wealthy all of US would be.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 6,192,513 times
Quote:
Geee, if GW, the (R)s, the MBAs and CEOs could have only privatized Social Security . . . think how wealthy all of US would be.
You don't think you could manage your own social security retirement account better than Washington can? I sure could, and I'd sleep better at night knowing it was in MY hands and not theirs.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,498,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You don't think you could manage your own . . .
ahhhh, but THAT was never the offer, was it?

Do you follow the difference?

But let's play . . .

Quote:

I sure could,
mkay, so tell me what YOU would do that give the benefit package(s) of SS for the price.

Fair enough question, isn't it?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,976,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You don't think you could manage your own social security retirement account better than Washington can? I sure could, and I'd sleep better at night knowing it was in MY hands and not theirs.
Vast majority couldn't, which is why it is how it is.

They didn't want it privatized so you could manage it. They wanted it privatized so they could manage it and get their fees.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,986,661 times
And these same employees will be called moochers, slouches and leeches when they're forced to apply for food stamps, welfare and medicaid/medicare when they're unemployment benefits run out.

Who would have believed that a company like Hostess would stoop so low to steal funds? Even I would have trusted that my money would be okay.

From here on out, I will never, ever participate in a company's pension fund no matter how old school established they are. I don't care if it's Microsoft, AT&T, Toyota, etc.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 AM

29,642 posts, read 24,665,756 times
Gee, I thought those greedy unions who were trying to protect a bunch of $14/hr workers were the only ones capable of wrongdoing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Vast majority couldn't, which is why it is how it is.

They didn't want it privatized so you could manage it. They wanted it privatized so they could manage it and get their fees.
Exactly. We live in a collective society, and we will forever be dragged down by the lowest common denominator. The whole point of social security was just that... Social security! Keep people from ending up on the street when they're too weak and feeble to earn a paycheck. Personally, I would find that an unacceptable eyesore. Even if it means my money will be set aside for the future, such an image simply wouldn't be something to be expected in a 1st world country. Like it or not, a large segment of the population would simply use the money to update their standard of living. For obvious reasons, their standard of living would take quite a dump after the paychecks stopped coming in.

And if it were to be privatized, I would question what freedom we would have to decide which securities to choose from. Again, a large segment of the population simply isn't capable to making such decisions. What's stable today may not be stable tomorrow. My first 401K was through Fidelity. In 2006, they were pushing me into real estate related securities. They told me it was a very prudent, secure option. All this coming from the "experts"... Glad I didn't take their advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics