U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 AM

332 posts, read 480,925 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24-year-old man and a Customer Service Associate at this popular convenience store called Wawa. Most stores are in Central and Southern New Jersey. I'm part of a new one they built in Central Jersey, off Route 9 in Woodbridge. I currently take the hour-long bus ride from Elizabeth where I'm from to the Woodbridge Center Mall, then take a half-hour walk to the Wawa store. Now, what I decided to do was take some driving lessons as I'm tired of the bus rides. My road test will be this Thursday morning for the second time after I failed the first 3 years ago. However, if I pass, I will not be able to get a used car right away. With the job I have, I'm not sure financing will work either though I don't have bad credit. I'm also planning to do classes in Union County College at the Cranford main campus during the mornings, returning for education after going to another campus twice. So also, in the event I pass the test, I'd be willing to work at Wawa overnight if they needed me as well since they're technically a 24/7 business. I checked out the Enterprise-Rent-A-Car service and know on the weekends they have the $9.99/day option for the weekends. Right now, I will still take the bus next month and rent a car only when necessary. But is renting a car worth it? Would you guys recommend anything other than Enterprise or is that the best way to go?

Last edited by michael212; 12-17-2012 at 03:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 AM

8,707 posts, read 4,800,189 times
The only time we have ever rented cars are when we went on vacation.
Enterprise has some great rates, but they will charge you for extra's ~ Tax, overages, and insurance
(sometimes). I think your obvious best choice would be to purchase a vehicle.
You have to have good credit to rent a car, so if you can do that, then you would be able to qualify for
a car loan. Or you could keep riding the bus until you saved enough money up to buy a car outright.
How many days per month would you need a car?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The only time we have ever rented cars are when we went on vacation.
Enterprise has some great rates, but they will charge you for extra's ~ Tax, overages, and insurance
(sometimes). I think your obvious best choice would be to purchase a vehicle.
You have to have good credit to rent a car, so if you can do that, then you would be able to qualify for
a car loan. Or you could keep riding the bus until you saved enough money up to buy a car outright.
How many days per month would you need a car?
By buying a car, do you mean used car at the least?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 AM

Yeah, it's okay to buy a used car, sometimes it makes the most sense, considering how quickly new
cars lose their value.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,463,436 times
In some places you can't rent a car until 25 or you might have to pay an additional surcharge to do so. Check with the agency to find out for sure.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM

I'll just save up for a used car then since it's the fastest way to get me on the road.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

31,171 posts, read 68,065,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
I'm a 24-year-old man and a Customer Service Associate at this popular convenience store called Wawa. Most stores are in Central and Southern New Jersey. I'm part of a new one they built in Central Jersey, off Route 9 in Woodbridge.
Rent a room near work.
Go to classes at the CC in whatever county that is.

Get the DL too.
When you can afford it... buy a used car.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM

48,508 posts, read 87,689,444 times
Sounds like you also will need to buy the rental compnay insurance as doen't sound like you already have car insurance to cover the rental.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Yeah, and at your age, the insurance will probably cost as much or more than the rental per day.
As pointed out, you have to be a certain age to rent, I think you also have to have a major credit card
(although once or twice I think I used my Visa Debit Card as opposed to a Credit Card)
You are right. The smartest way would be to save for the car (or at the very least a sizable down payment).

Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,723,967 times
Remember that owning a car commits you, at your age, to probably at least $100 a month for insurance, and more than that if you finance it and also have to carry collision and comprehensive for it. Also, because of your age, a rental might not be available to you. Male drivers under 25 are considered very high risk, and there are no avenues through which you can satisfy anybody that you're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics