Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times

Advertisements

Omg! we can't punish banks since that might cause instability in the market? Does folks in the Justice Dept have any brains or let me say guts left?

Link: UBS and too-big-to-punish: James Saft - Yahoo! Finance

The message we are sending is that U.S Govt is weak and is afraid of big banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
It's not the banks, per se that they are afraid of. It is the panic than can ensue when there is a lose of confidence by investors. We have seen that happen many times under various scenarios in many countries.

Maybe the answer is to not let banks/ brokerages got too big. I just finished reading Too Big To Fail by Alex Sorkin and have gotten a few more books about the crisis of 2008 because I want to have a better understanding of what happened, why it happened and if anything has been done to change the way things are done and to provide much stronger protections.

The books include: The Monster - How a gang of predatory lenders and wall street bankers fleeced America - and spawned a global crisis. It's by Michael W. Hudson. Another book is House of Cards by William D. Cohan. A tale of hubris and wretched excess on Wall Street. Finally In Fed We Trust - Ben Bernanke's war on the great panic by David Wessel.

If I come up with any brilliant ideas I'll come back and post them. I'll pass them along to the powers that be too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics