U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,640,227 times

Advertisements

I check my receipts thoroughly before leaving any store. Rainbow Foods in the midwest area was famous for charging a different price than what was labeled on the shelf. (Funny enough, the price charged was never under, it was always over!) One day, so many items rang up wrong that I walked out with about $15 in cash. (Their policy was if it rings up wrong, it's free---so they would give you the cash back.) One time (same store), I was charged for a $12 bag of dog food. And I did not have a dog! You gotta watch!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 AM

6,385 posts, read 20,040,875 times
We don't have Safeway where I live but all the grocery stores around our home have discounts for cardholders and I do shop those sales and usually get the sale price at checkout, however, occasionally that is not the case. If the packaging changes and/or the UPC changes for an item the delay to enter those changes can mean I'm charged regular price instead. I've worked in this business, specifically with UPCs and product display; errors can happen in ads because of them. The last item this happened with was Hormel Country Crock's side dishes like mac n cheese. I'd bet someone else out there had the same problem with this item this year.

I am usually too busy to watch each item rung up but I do try to remember (that's a catch!) to review my receipt as I'm walking out. If I have a lot of items I might forget to do this but I have called from home to tell them and go back another day for the refund if its important and I have the time.

However sometimes the stores trick my husband into thinking something is on sale when it is not. So the error isn't always on the store!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,809,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I understand the frustration as much as I understand the human error that occurs in keeping the prices updated in their system. I've worked both ends and don't look at it as if someone is purposely trying to rip me off. Errors happen, and they are always corrected when pointed out. I've made errors myself when working retail, the money does not go into my pocket...
When was the last time a store you shopped at made an error in YOUR favor? If what you say is true, wouldn't the errors even out?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,809,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
What kind of law do you think exists? They have the right to charge just about any price they want and you have the right to decide to purchase or not purchase it.
Depends on the state. Some states have a Scan Law, that has teeth, such as Michigan:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ag...s_353716_7.pdf

Michigan retailers are required to clearly indicate the price at point of sale, and to reimburse the customer more than the overcharge as a penalty if they ring up the wrong price.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,753,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When was the last time a store you shopped at made an error in YOUR favor? If what you say is true, wouldn't the errors even out?
That happens to me quite often. When ringing up produce, they enter the wrong thing. When I point it out, they smile and say Merry Christmas.

As for errors in their favor - sometimes data isn't properly entered in the system. Point it out and they will fix it. It's as simple as that.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,431,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I understand the frustration as much as I understand the human error that occurs in keeping the prices updated in their system. I've worked both ends and don't look at it as if someone is purposely trying to rip me off. Errors happen, and they are always corrected when pointed out. I've made errors myself when working retail, the money does not go into my pocket...
Of all the neurosis that's apparent in this thread your opinion makes the most sense and is the most healthy and clear-minded. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or