Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times

Advertisements

Safeway grocery stores has price tags with a "full price" and also a discount "card price"...

Lately I have caught them charging me the full price on an item instead of the card price even though I gave them my "Safeway Card".

The cash register does give me the "card price" on other items I purchased at the same time, so the card was correctly entered each time.

And each time I point this out to the cashier, they do give me the reduced price.

Now this is not so big a deal to me because I frequently buy just a few items there, so I notice these things. But I imagine someone buying a full cart full of food might not notice this! So watch them!

And isn't this breaking some law?

Basically they have told me, if I use their card, then I will get the reduced "card price". And the price labels say "Price with card $xx", and then a much more expensive full price is listed, the latter being what I am charged sometimes.

Note: I just googled this and found this is happening to other people...
Safeway Under Scrutiny For Overcharging Customers « CBS San Francisco

Report: Safeway Overcharging Even After Court Order

So check your receipts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:44 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,142 times
I pretty much stopped going to Safeway when they started offering/using the card. The price differences seemed coercive to me. "Sign up or else" I just don't like feeling so manipulated, and, I guess this report doesn't surprise me either. In the years since they've had the card, if I do go there, it's just for a deli item for lunch - and I don't buy the things on special, as it gives me indigestion!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Check out the scan law in your state. If a price rings up incorrectly, you may be entitled to the product free, or with a cash penalty, or both.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I understand the frustration as much as I understand the human error that occurs in keeping the prices updated in their system. I've worked both ends and don't look at it as if someone is purposely trying to rip me off. Errors happen, and they are always corrected when pointed out. I've made errors myself when working retail, the money does not go into my pocket...

Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
You should be vigilant everywhere you go. I recently purchased some beer and wine from a store that specializes in high end alcoholic beverages and cigars. They were always known to gouge prices, which requires extra care when shopping. After making my selections, I took my items up to be scanned. 1 six pack of porter, 1 bottle of wine for $7.99, and one large bottle of Czars imperial stout. $40.00!!!

I had them explain what they were charging for each item. They rang the wine up as $17. After pointing out that the tag read $7.99, they maintained that it said $17.99. I had to literally hold it up to their face and explain that it read "$", followed by "7.99". After a couple tries they finally acknowledged their mistake and agreed that the total sale should have been $30. Even at that, it was a clear rip off. Oh well, my friend and I agreed it was our fault for shopping at a place with a good selection, but an awful reputation. Never again.

When grocery shopping, I also pay careful attention to the items as they are rung up. Human error occurs. Either way, it's best to keep em honest. A penny saved is a penny earned

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've long, long refused to shop at any card stores. With my accounting background, and mind for numbers/comparisons, there's no need to go to them!

Non-card Food4Less has served me well over the years, and the non-card Hispanic grocery stores.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
What kind of law do you think exists? They have the right to charge just about any price they want and you have the right to decide to purchase or not purchase it.

I don't get why people complain about card stores. Almost none take personal information to get a card and anyways you could lie about it and they wouldn't know. Countless times I have been in another state and just signed up for the card on the spot in less than a minute. Even if you are saving just $1 one one purchase, think about that its a $60/hour rate.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
My wife and I noticed this at Safeway years ago. If the price is changed on the rack it may be days before it is adjusted in the PC. We watch every purchase as they ring it up. If you do not catch it there you have to go to customer service to dispute.

Anyone ever notice how chatty the bagboy/baggirl is at Safeway. I am watching each purchase rang up and the damn bagger is trying to distract me each time I shop.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've never had that problem with Food4Less, and with my accounting mind, I can ring up things as I put them into my cart, in my head, and I usually come close within a couple dollars of the total. If it's off too far, then I get suspicious.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We watch every transaction to make sure and this has never happened at our Safeway. For us it's worth the car simply for the gas discounts. A couple of weeks ago when gas at most places was $3.39 here, we paid $2.69 at Safeway with the discount, saving us about $12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics