U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,661,622 times

Advertisements

Experts on commodity markets on CNBC say oil prices will be over $100 in 2013. I wonder what scenarios they use to guess that direction. Truth is that internally, the USA has been on a downtrend in oil consumption since 2004. The world as a whole probably is only going to use more. Anyway, depressed oil prices may be a factor in the current levels of gas prices. So that makes me wonder if next year's peak gas prices will exceed even this year's. Of course, the people who downsize, buy a hybrid, electric, or simply reduce miles don't have to worry so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 PM

14,888 posts, read 13,726,263 times
You addressed the demand side, but what about the supply side? ...such as:
  • whether refineries will be shut down
  • whether any new refineries will be built
  • will foreign sources of oil still be available
  • will drilling and transport continue to be restricted domestically
  • etc.?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,736,402 times
Trying to guess the future price of a commodity which has in the past shown itself to be extremely volatile is futile. The only certainty is that the long-range trend has to be up, because the supply is llimited and the low hanging fruit has been picked. There will almost certainly continue to be very large swings in the price of gas at the pump. Those who have purchased a Toyota Prius (just for example) have positioned themselves well for the medium term future, say the next 10 or 15 years. Here in Southern California, there are scads of them.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 AM

Here's a fact. The less you use, the more consumer power you have. Drive a gas hog, they own you.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,544,583 times
What would be more expensive a gallon of gas or a gallon of star bucks coffee???..

Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,172,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
What would be more expensive a gallon of gas or a gallon of star bucks coffee???..
A gallon of gasoline.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,046,686 times
Have these experts made any money predicting commodity prices?

Have they come on any shows that later found their predictions to be correct?

How did they come to this decision that prices would increase?

Seriously, you should really be more discerning in who you place your trust in. It should not be just the person who thinks the same thing as you.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Have these experts made any money predicting commodity prices?

Have they come on any shows that later found their predictions to be correct?

How did they come to this decision that prices would increase?

Seriously, you should really be more discerning in who you place your trust in. It should not be just the person who thinks the same thing as you.
Love these people who just can't suppress their haughty judgmentalism. Especially if they are total amateurs in the subject matter.

Bottle water and Starbucks coffee are more expensive. But neither one is a necessity. Either industry could fail without causing much of a ripple in the overall economy. Which is why I consider them irrelevant to the topic.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,172,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Bottle water and Starbucks coffee are more expensive.
No they are not. You can have both cheaper than the cost of gasoline.

However, gasoline is still too cheap. The majority of Americans do not consider the cost of gasoline to curb their behavior. They treat it like an unlimited commodity.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,046,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Love these people who just can't suppress their haughty judgmentalism. Especially if they are total amateurs in the subject matter.

Bottle water and Starbucks coffee are more expensive. But neither one is a necessity. Either industry could fail without causing much of a ripple in the overall economy. Which is why I consider them irrelevant to the topic.
No, this is kindergarten logic. A person who believes others that have no history of being right, or even close to being right, is outright belief without proof. I don't sink my money into some one telling me that they are right about a subject without trying to verify that they are right, or have a history of being pretty close to the mark.

You are judging me as a "total amateur" in the subject, do you even know what my expertise is?

I don't think I have ever said what my expertise is in this forum so you are just making a wild guess. You are telling me what my experience and education is in as a complete stranger. If you can tell me what my experience and education are right now then I will believe it when you say I am a "total amateur." Otherwise I think you should shut your pie hole in what I know or understand until you actually know.

Have some integrity instead of making stuff up about what other people know or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics