U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would going over the fiscal Cliff be good or bad.
Yes it would be good for the country. 36 72.00%
No it would not be good for the country 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,059,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
As a tax paying working stiff, I have never authorized our government to take my money.
Yes you have. Every time you vote. That's the way things work in a democracy.

The government does what the majority wants it to do, for the good of the majority. When the government does what you want it to do for the good of you, it isn't called a democracy anymore, it's called a dictatorship. That's only nice when you are the dictator.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM

84 posts, read 168,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes you have. Every time you vote. That's the way things work in a democracy.

The government does what the majority wants it to do, for the good of the majority. When the government does what you want it to do for the good of you, it isn't called a democracy anymore, it's called a dictatorship. That's only nice when you are the dictator.
Ummm!! Last time I checked, I never got to vote on money being taken out of my check every two weeks. I never got a say, nor have I ever been asked if I wanted to pay taxes. I never got to vote on the IRS taking money from my pay, nor did I ever vote on being forced to file a tax return every year. So no, you are wrong sir. So, does this mean that we have a dictator who rules our country? Because if that is the case, why bother calling the USA a free country? Why bother calling our country a democratic country?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 33,530,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The only way there will be any deal at all is if both sides compromise. Yes, this means modest tax increases for the wealthiest groups in this country. It will require budget cuts too, but not on the scale of those envisioned by GOP leaders.
just to follow this line of thought, where do you want the budget of our federal government to be? do you think there should be a goal for a balanced budget or does that not concern you? because neither side is proposing enough cuts to get us anywhere near a balanced budget. im just wondering, where you think we should be and how should we get there? a balanced budget means about $1.1 trillion in spending cuts or increased revenue in a 1 year period.

let me just say (so nobody thinks i want to cut $1.1 trillion from the 2013 budget) i want the goal to be a balanced budget. i think its fine if it takes some time to get there (maybe even 10-20 years) but we should get there and then have a surplus to pay down the debt. another option which i am fine with is to selectively default on debt after we balance the budget. thats not exactly something our politicians can talk about now or anytime much before doing it, but i think its a good idea.

i get the sense you (and others with that attitude) are just arbitrarily saying that the republicans want to cut to much, just because you figure that republicans would want to cut too much. i dont think you are thinking about numbers.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-28-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Status: "Bartlet, er Biden, for America!" (set 21 days ago)

31,229 posts, read 68,788,361 times
Quote:
As a tax paying working stiff, I have never authorized our government to take my money.
Neither did anyone else alive today.

It's something that our grandparents did for us...
very much like the strangling debt we're leaving our grandchildren.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM

28,400 posts, read 31,021,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Seeing as the gutless wonders in Washington are incapable of doing anything to alleviate the budget mess, would just allowing the tax increases and budget cuts to happen be the best thing for this country?
I have a liberal Democrat friend who basically said the same thing to me. It was sort of a surprise to me that even some liberal Dems understand that we're all going to have to bite the bullet at some point.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:55 PM

28,400 posts, read 31,021,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I am not sure you are seeing the problem for what it is. War and Welfare are two sides of the same coin.
The politicians work for big business which profits from both war and welfare equally. To think you can have one without the other ignores reality. They are both necessary in order to facilitate the financial insolvency and moral degradation that is fundamental to the goals of the elite.
The politicians will never do what is in the best interest of the country so long as the people filling their pockets can influence them.
To allow the fiscal cliff to happen would postpone the misery that will result from the constant looting of the economy that will eventually result in a state of virtual slavery for the people.
I agree. Markg, like the majority of Americans, doesn't get the true severity of the situation. Even what the so-called radical right wing Republicans have proposed is not enough to get the budget in balance over the long term. That is why America is a sinking ship.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM

5,369 posts, read 10,283,190 times
Not that hard . . . just stop paying interest on our own money supply.

However, as math-dumb as most of America has become, the con-job can continue.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 PM

6,329 posts, read 7,459,571 times
I had hoped that the mere threat of going over the financial cliff would spur intelligent discussion and negotiation on the economic future of this country. What size spending budget would be practical in face of anticipated revenue all wrapped within the threat of our debt ceiling needed to be addressed as everything regarding the cliff revolves around this budget basic.

So far we have partisan bs and thePresident calling for a small plan which only includes no taxes under 250K and continued unemployment benefits with no cuts to the budget (despite the fact according to Geitner we will reach our debt limit on Monday)

It has been extremely disappointing to say the least.

Last edited by NSHL10; 12-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,059,569 times
Quote:
Ummm!! Last time I checked, I never got to vote on money being taken out of my check every two weeks. I never got a say, nor have I ever been asked if I wanted to pay taxes. I never got to vote on the IRS taking money from my pay, nor did I ever vote on being forced to file a tax return every year. So no, you are wrong sir. So, does this mean that we have a dictator who rules our country? Because if that is the case, why bother calling the USA a free country? Why bother calling our country a democratic country?
The overwhelming majority of American voters (about 99%) vote in every election for candidates who will go to the capital and tax them. You're in the 1%. Sorry, not the 1% we all would love to be in..

Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,141,486 times
Going over the fiscal cliff will be bad - and disappointing - but (sadly!) not surprising. And yes, it seems the 'buck stops' at the voter(s). I keep thinking 'if it gets bad enough, maybe 'we' will get a collective clue' -- but alas, we don't seem to. I just hope we can sustain how bad it may need to get before we do get a clue - and send that clue up to the 'hill'. I don't feel real hopeful right now. I'm wondering where the 'statesmen' are, or if hoping they will materialize is really realistic. I don't know - and I just hope I don't stop caring!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or