U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,800,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Why would I do that since he was quite clearly flawed in a few areas. What I find so amusing is how you keep butchering his theories. We never even got around to his theory. You keep garbling the facts and historical references and interlard them with person comments since you are quite so clearly injured. I believe its because you fancy yourself the alpha intellect of your world. Its nothing new. You just keep babbling about something you know nothing about after you unceremoniously dismissed it.

I'd take great credit except for how simple the formula is. Speak about things where you have even a fundamental understanding. If you want to have an opinion on an author, try reading an essay or a book of theirs.
Gosh, I feel pretty healthy for an injured person. But I am wondering whether you're an expert in Latin as well as centuries-obsolete economics and behavioral/behavioural psychology. If so, it would be interesting to hear about your credentials and accomplishments there, too, real or imagined. But one more question: What are "person comments?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM

19,346 posts, read 16,999,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Gosh, I feel pretty healthy for an injured person. But I am wondering whether you're an expert in Latin as well as centuries-obsolete economics and behavioral/behavioural psychology. If so, it would be interesting to hear about your credentials and accomplishments there, too, real or imagined.
I believe that falls under transference, son. That came up when you implicitly indicated yourself the authority :
Adam Smith is flawed. His work assumes that people behave as rational decision makers who maximize their own welfare. This is incorrect, as we know from more recent work in behavioral psychology as well as through common sense and observation.

As we know? You don't think he is flawed. He just is flawed by your declaration while citing a 20th century theory that isn't even his.

Turning to psychology, you mean as you declared yourself the authority on it? I took great pleasure in your bad luck that I know all about it, including that I know the school of behavioral psychology has ts own flaws and rivals. In other words, your cheap and well known tactic to steer a conversation into the field of your choosing backfired. You were the blow hard "as we know", and you are now trying to rub off your pretentious stink on me.

I left nothing to self proclaimed credentials. I cited my sources. You don't have any. Just "as you think you know". You are all busted up and blubbering cause in your little circle, you normally get to use the biggest words.

Try sticking to the subject two posts in a row.

What was one of Adam Smith's flaws? You have not even gotten to one of his theoretical presentations. Since I brought up Ricardo, he overturned one. Do you know what it is? Of course not because you don't know anything about him either. He originated current in international trade theory. Why would you in an economics forum where you can just squat and babble for fun though?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,800,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I took great pleasure in your bad luck that I know all about it, including that I know the school of behavioral psychology has ts own flaws and rivals. In other words, your cheap and well known tactic to steer a conversation into the field of your choosing backfired. You were the blow hard "as we know", and you are now trying to rub off your pretentious stink on me.
But the thing is that you don't know "all about it." You may know a little about it, just as I do. In order to know "all about it," you would probably need a doctorate in the subject at the barest minimum (mine is in a different field). Some good publications in peer-reviewed journals would then begin to establish to your reputation as an expert.

If I wanted to know more about Adam Smith, or anything else, I would consult someone who is an established expert on the subject. Not only are you not an established expert, you are not able to write well enough to convey a helpful explanation, and not civil enough to keep your wits about you. Therefore, I simply don't care what you think about Adam Smith. Maybe someone else does, who will step up and be your sounding board.

Regarding my "pretentious stink," it sounds to me like you are becoming unhinged. So this will be my last post addressed to you for a while. All told, I have enjoyed conversing with you, and I think that we may converse again in the future. You may now have the last word, if you wish to do so, after which you may turn your attention to your other "opponents," if you wish to do so.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
But the thing is that you don't know "all about it." You may know a little about it, just as I do. In order to know "all about it," you would probably need a doctorate in the subject at the barest minimum (mine is in a different field). Some good publications in peer-reviewed journals would then begin to establish to your reputation as an expert.

If I wanted to know more about Adam Smith, or anything else, I would consult someone who is an established expert on the subject. Not only are you not an established expert, you are not able to write well enough to convey a helpful explanation, and not civil enough to keep your wits about you. Therefore, I simply don't care what you think about Adam Smith. Maybe someone else does, who will step up and be your sounding board.

Regarding my "pretentious stink," it sounds to me like you are becoming unhinged. So this will be my last post addressed to you for a while. All told, I have enjoyed conversing with you, and I think that we may converse again in the future. You may now have the last word, if you wish to do so, after which you may turn your attention to your other "opponents," if you wish to do so.
I did not establish myself as an expert. I cited my sources which are authoritatively from the author himself, including the one you falsified as rational self interest whereas Smith clearly stated wants.

Name one of his theories. Why are you still here babbling without, all this time, successfully mentioning one theory of Adam Smith, or classical economics for that matter to even discuss?

Its amazing how many of you are out there....

Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM

31,027 posts, read 37,095,407 times
If all of this is from a question about the fiscal cliff what is the debt ceiling thread going to look like?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If all of this is from a question about the fiscal cliff what is the debt ceiling thread going to look like?
Will we be able to establish which country you mean? I hope I lose interest immediately when presented with items in the Canadian federal budget.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM

706 posts, read 1,204,790 times
I hope Obama prints this coin, I cannot stand the House GOP and they are reckless and an embarrassment to our country. How does not raising the debt limit and threatening stock market Armageddon get us anywhere? Makes me sick.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM

40,993 posts, read 22,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Yeah, this is my biggest problem with "tax holidays". Everyone thinks that when they expire, the government is "raising taxes". It isn't a tax raise, it is just an expiration of a temporary tax break. It was never meant to be permanent. Other than this holiday, the rate has been 6.2% since 1990. In fact, this is already BY FAR the longest period of time that has passed between increases since the beginning of the program in 1937. We have been 22 years with no increase. The next longest period was at the very beginning of the program, the original rate stayed the same for the first 13 years of the program. After that, increases were taken every few years until 1990.

Source: FICA & SECA Tax Rates
Republicans (Bush) wanted the Bush tax cuts to be permanent but Democrats voted against it. I don't know if the payroll tax holiday was part of that. Anyway, in my years in the U.S. I have learned one thing. Anytime the government says they want to raise taxes on someone else they always end up taxing the middle class. Obama says he wants more revenue.... middle class, hold on to your wallets because Obama wants more of the money you worked for.

Remember, Obama could say and tax the higher income people but there is not enough of them so he has to tax the middle class. There is actually more money to be taken in the middle class because there are many more middle class Americans.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 PM

40,993 posts, read 22,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I hope Obama prints this coin, I cannot stand the House GOP and they are reckless and an embarrassment to our country. How does not raising the debt limit and threatening stock market Armageddon get us anywhere? Makes me sick.
You can't be that much of a Obama blind follower? If you personally are not making enough money to make ends anyone with common sense would do either one or two of the following.... work extra hours and cut spending.

Obama and the Democrats are the spenders. Wake up

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 AM

31,027 posts, read 37,095,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You can't be that much of a Obama blind follower? If you personally are not making enough money to make ends anyone with common sense would do either one or two of the following.... work extra hours and cut spending.

Obama and the Democrats are the spenders. Wake up
They are all big spenders both Bush with his two off budget wars and Obama with his most recent spending. The debt is cumulative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics