Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
They? Who are they? The government? The government is the tax payers. The government(people's taxes) don't have the resources to track every loser's move. Money just doesn't pop up out of thin air.

Being a mother should not be just popping babies and expecting other people to feed them. If these women know they are sleeping with a deadbeat, they (the women)should be responsible for feeding that baby. They made the poor choice, not the tax payers.

The system needs to be fixed not by tracking deadbeat dads, but by changing the assistance of irresponsible women who have kids they cannot feed. If they don't get the assistance they are getting now they will think it twice before popping another baby.
You don't think that tracking deadbeat dads will change the assistance of women? And it appears that you think all family responsibility begins and ends with the woman, with the man having none. Why do you hate your mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
We live in a high cost of living area. This may come as a shock, but my mortgage is less than a two bedroom apartment. I found the cheapest house I could buy. Housing prices are set by the market, not ones means.
Well la-de-da! Why don't you live in Malibu? You can't afford there, either.

You had the nerve to put a "huge down payment" on a townhouse (your words), which you knew darned well you still could never afford to pay for. Your mortgage is almost your entire paycheck, that is, when you are earning one. (You yourself said you are a clerical worker and have never earned much above $30k/year, with your big year being $32k. You also said you can't find the time nor interest in returning to school to better yourself, so you don't have a large potential of earning much more anytime soon.) How did you plan to pay for that townhouse???

Not only did you already have one child, you chose to have a second child while in a poor financial situation. Yes, chose; you yourself said you made the conscious decision to have another. You also have not one, not two, but THREE dogs - the youngest of which is a 5 month old puppy, with the expectation it will grow large enough as an adult (since it's a Lab) to out-eat your other two combined. Yet you have taxpayers paying for your food???

You boasted about not paying income tax and further stated you get thousands (plural) back each year at tax time, including $2300 EITC, the child tax credit and the mortgage interest deduction. Do you save that money and dole it out proportionately each month, to go towards your food? No. You have stated that you plan to use that money to pay off your SECOND vehicle, which is an SUV that gets how many mpg? 15??

Let me see if I have this straight... You own a townhouse in a pricey neighborhood you can't afford to live in, you own a truck outright and will also have an SUV completely paid off shortly, you have two children and three dogs, you get WIC and free lunch for your son, you pay no state or federal income taxes and get money back yearly to boot, you own an ipad and a 32 gb iphone AND you take taxpayer money for food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I live where my family and support system live. I drive an old car and it breaks own frequently. I buy food at Aldi often. I would love a great paying job , that would allow me to support my family without assistance, but again those jobs are not happening for me. I apply to many, hopefully soon one will be offered to me.
Which vehicle you drive is your choice, since you have more than one to choose from (and neither is a car): a 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel and a 2006 Jeep Commander. You want to be handed a great paying job on a silver platter, since you can't find the time to go back to school, nor is there anything you want to go back to school for. (Your words.)

Mayor Booker accepted the challenge to see how struggling people really manage on just food stamps. You may be collecting them, but you're obviously not struggling in the least.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Quote:
They? Who are they? The government? The government is the tax payers. The government(people's taxes) don't have the resources to track every loser's move. Money just doesn't pop up out of thin air.

Being a mother should not be just popping babies and expecting other people to feed them. If these women know they are sleeping with a deadbeat, they (the women)should be responsible for feeding that baby. They made the poor choice, not the tax payers.

The system needs to be fixed not by tracking deadbeat dads, but by changing the assistance of irresponsible women who have kids they cannot feed. If they don't get the assistance they are getting now they will think it twice before popping another baby.
This is the writings of someone who is extremely uneducated about the system....and life, in general.
Some people wait to have children until after they're married, and sometimes the marriage doesn't work out.
Some men, while pretty good Fathers during a marriage, suddenly become neglectful after a divorce, and stop supporting their kids.
This is where Child Support Enforcement comes in....this is the agency that has been in place for years and years to force deadbeat parents to pay their support.

If not for CSE...the need for assistance across the country would be much worse.
Forcing a deadbeat parent to live up to their reaponsibilities keeps families off of welfare.

Last edited by NC~Mom; 01-19-2013 at 04:43 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Babies also deserve to have not only a mother BUT A FATHER that is involved in their lives, who contributes to the welfare of the baby. however, if kids are having unprotected sex so young, then why do I have to pay for their mistakes? or for the deadbeat loser dad that isnt around????

ive been poor,,,,dirt poor, but you didnt see me smoking, when I couldnt afford food, you didnt see me buying pot or other drugs, when my kid had no clothes...and, you didnt see me drinking beer, when I couldnt pay the bills..
and,,,,if I was on foodstamps, I didnt buy the brand name stuff..it was the cheap private label items, and I didnt buy the shhitty snacks, soda and junk,,,
Agreed. It is harsh, but if noone would help these babies and they were to die these young adults or (kids as you have suggested) wouldn't be having babies. Why bring a baby into the world if you couldn't give it at least a decent life. I know many people who aren't rich and give their kids everything they deserved if that means the parents have to suffer. At least some try....others don't care though. If noone helped these families at all...they wouldn't be having kids. Or if they did at least send the adults to prison for bring a baby into a world on $8 an hour job.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:

With no assistance these young adults wouldn't be having babies. I'm not saying you can't have sex, but with a condom and the pill your chances are damn low. Almost non-existant. Or at the very least a couple of women will get pregnant if the condom breaks and the pill doesn't work (it does happen) compared to millions just popping out 3 babies by time their 23 making a measly $9 an hour. Throw in all of the assistance and it might be plausible to live this way. With no assistance I don't know any sane person who actually cares about their kids who would want them living poor as dirt.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You don't think that tracking deadbeat dads will change the assistance of women? And it appears that you think all family responsibility begins and ends with the woman, with the man having none. Why do you hate your mom?
Deadbeat dad or not....there are millions of young women (or families) who just "oops I guess I'm pregnant" mentality out there. Do women even care? I guess your kid will live paycheck to paycheck living in a dump of a house with poor nutrition because it felt better with no condom on.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Well la-de-da! Why don't you live in Malibu? You can't afford there, either.

You had the nerve to put a "huge down payment" on a townhouse (your words), which you knew darned well you still could never afford to pay for. Your mortgage is almost your entire paycheck, that is, when you are earning one. (You yourself said you are a clerical worker and have never earned much above $30k/year, with your big year being $32k. You also said you can't find the time nor interest in returning to school to better yourself, so you don't have a large potential of earning much more anytime soon.) How did you plan to pay for that townhouse???

Not only did you already have one child, you chose to have a second child while in a poor financial situation. Yes, chose; you yourself said you made the conscious decision to have another. You also have not one, not two, but THREE dogs - the youngest of which is a 5 month old puppy, with the expectation it will grow large enough as an adult (since it's a Lab) to out-eat your other two combined. Yet you have taxpayers paying for your food???

You boasted about not paying income tax and further stated you get thousands (plural) back each year at tax time, including $2300 EITC, the child tax credit and the mortgage interest deduction. Do you save that money and dole it out proportionately each month, to go towards your food? No. You have stated that you plan to use that money to pay off your SECOND vehicle, which is an SUV that gets how many mpg? 15??

Let me see if I have this straight... You own a townhouse in a pricey neighborhood you can't afford to live in, you own a truck outright and will also have an SUV completely paid off shortly, you have two children and three dogs, you get WIC and free lunch for your son, you pay no state or federal income taxes and get money back yearly to boot, you own an ipad and a 32 gb iphone AND you take taxpayer money for food?

Which vehicle you drive is your choice, since you have more than one to choose from (and neither is a car): a 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel and a 2006 Jeep Commander. You want to be handed a great paying job on a silver platter, since you can't find the time to go back to school, nor is there anything you want to go back to school for. (Your words.)

Mayor Booker accepted the challenge to see how struggling people really manage on just food stamps. You may be collecting them, but you're obviously not struggling in the least.
Obviously Liberty doesn't live within her means. Truthfully her kids will probably suffer and get nowhere in life. I hope I'm wrong though. We all have a chance when we our on our own one day. Blunt...but truthful.

People live off the government, but find a way to have iPads and Iphones, new 25k cars, own a house which is 75% of her take home pay and have 3 dogs. Hell if your feeding 1 dog let alone 3 dogs a good healthy holistic food (doubt it), but that could be more food for the dogs than the kids!

Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
I brought a friend to apply for food stamps (SNAP) last week, she has been not working many hours and they gave her food stamps based on what she told them, she didn't need any verifications. I was surprised.
She can really use them right now, but no verification surprised me. Anyone could go in a get them, no proof needed, they have an emergency 4 month plan. If you need cash, then you need verifications. She will be getting $753 a month for 4 months. I'm glad, she needs them, but if anyone with no proof of really needing them can get them, the government is could be losing a lot of money.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM

83 posts, read 183,615 times
When I was with my ex, we used to spend $60 a week on grocery shopping a week, that was 20 years ago..

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM

83 posts, read 183,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can nearly always find the same product cheaper than using the coupon. Just buy an economical size of the generic or store brand. And then even cut that price in half, by buying the ingredients and making from scratch.

You can make soup for a quarter of the price of Campbells, just by throwing a bunch of cheap vegetables (onions, potatos, carrots, celery, all less than a dollar a pound) into a pressure cooker with a few ounces of meat. And, by the way, leave out the cup of salt and add 20 years to your life. Store brand crackers are always less than half the price of Nabisco, so even the 2-for-one coupon would be a waste of money.

You can stretch out a can of cream of mushroom soup, buy adding some broccoli, few small slices of cheddar and a cup of milk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics