Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM

20,730 posts, read 19,398,885 times

Advertisements

Another year we see yet another tragic consequence of a piece of paper losing value and in this case rapidly.

Super Bowl Ticket Drops to Average $3,982 as Giants-Patriots Matchup Nears - Bloomberg

The average price for a ticket to the Feb. 5 game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis fell to $3,982 from $4,311 since Jan. 27, according to data released today by TiqIQ, a ticket event aggregator that tracks listings from StubHub, EBay, TicketNetwork and TicketsNow.
Unfortunately these are now worthless because they had no gold or silver behind them, only a football game and half time show. If you end up with these in 2013, you are getting nothing but paper with nothing behind it.

Another thing to watch out for is is they print more than just one because every ticket they print causes ticket inflation. For example if there are 5 tickets and they print 5 more to equal 10, it means the tickets now have half the value.

Get it?

On a serious note it is interesting to speculate about what would happen as tickets are issued. Going from 5 to 10 tickets in a stadium that seats 60 thousand may show rapid depreciation of the ticket depending on the buyers, but it will represent a marginal utility curve having little to do with real output. If for example there were 6 billionaires who wanted tickets at any price printing 10 would certainly deplete its marginal monopoly value. However there would be no diminishing marginal output in the actual product. It would only represent a vastly different share of the surplus where certainly one or the other will be more satisfied.

But again I always stand a little amused at the idea of "too many dollars" during high unemployment. Think maybe perhaps people who already have tickets might be getting more of them while other people who have none still can't get any? And when the stadium is only half full in the end? If its half empty there is no real cost.

Then of course why people were confused when during the oil crisis when inflation did not increase employment? Nothing confuses me more than why it was people were confused. Oil representing a resource rent, not entirely a product of human labor, will represent a smaller stadium. Doesn't matter how many tickets they print because in a stadium that seats 25 thousand because 35 thousand must miss the game from any maximized capacity of the past.

At least in this case its the Superbowl, the NFL created that value and can do as they please. In the real world most of the monopoly power is a government privilege, mostly , but not limited to real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM

663 posts, read 779,315 times
ummm the price of tickets dropped so that means the dollar GAINED value in relation to it.

If you $4,311 and you waited until February to buy the tickets, you would have an extra $300 or more.

lol at complaining when prices drop.

Should I also be complaining because my TV value, car value, iphone value drops each year as well?
zomg my TV is getting worthless year after year!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM

21,183 posts, read 19,798,648 times
Care to guess how much a piece of toilet paper drops in value after it has been put into use?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times
Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only after the last river has been poisoned
Only after the air has been polluted
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten

Neither can gold, or diamonds, but at least they have some practical value.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM

21,907 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
ummm the price of tickets dropped so that means the dollar GAINED value in relation to it.

If you $4,311 and you waited until February to buy the tickets, you would have an extra $300 or more.

Should I also be complaining because my TV value, car value, iphone value drops each year as well?
Exactly.

It's like a rip in the intelligent thought continuum. How does something that becomes worthless everyear gain in value?

Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM

5,367 posts, read 5,160,077 times
Or you could just not care at all about the Superbowl like me and pay for 1 year of college with that money.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,000,590 times
I thought if the price goes up, it means that the paper money is becoming worthless, and when the price goes down, then it gains value. You have statement is opposite though. Isnt inflation when money becomes more worthless, and purchase less and less? So if price goes up, then money is purchasing less each money.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM

20,730 posts, read 19,398,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Care to guess how much a piece of toilet paper drops in value after it has been put into use?
People still want new toilet paper don't they since asses are not going away anymore than taxes. Now the NFL could just go with another model similar to money. They could sell reusable tokens which I am sure would be quite expensive. If they circulated in trade they might even be able to "print too many". They could retire them just by buying them off the market.

Why do business not go with the renewable token route and instead use the ticket model? Seems like the free market uses a better money system. If we mimicked ticket money we would print more tickets during a slow economy and make them cheaper would we not? Instead we print fewer of them and raise prices. That's why after 5 years we went nowhere.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM

4,627 posts, read 12,313,239 times
When I saw fiat currency I thought there might be a shred of intellect about the subject matter, but in the end was disappointed with the lack thereof.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,739,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics