U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 AM
 
28,665 posts, read 31,263,525 times
Reputation: 29654

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
In Africa in many places there is major water and foot shortage now.
The problems in Africa have little or nothing to do with lack of natural resources and everything to do with vast levels of corruption and ineptitude at all levels.

There is a huge freshwater source underneath the Sahara Desert with more water than our Great Lakes. But it takes political will, cooperation, and innovation to develop these resources. Those are the resources humanity truly lacks, not physical ones.

BBC News - 'Huge' water resource exists under Africa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 AM
 
28,665 posts, read 31,263,525 times
Reputation: 29654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
In this technological age, and when it started is debatable, new sources of energy have come along in their implementation in fairly even time intervals. But have you noticed? It has stopped. No new sources.
It has stopped because the companies that monopolize the energy market with their fossil fuels don't want it to happen. It's that simple. But eventually, fossil fuels will go by the wayside. It's already starting to happen, even in the fossil fuel guzzling USA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Status: "But in the aggregate..." (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,331 posts, read 69,479,051 times
Reputation: 37326
One more time:
There IS a saturation point in everything and there IS a point of diminishing returns.
I contend that we have already passed both w/r/t population and successful viability.

Others seem to think we must wait until we reach a "breaking point" before doing something.
I contend that is being absurdly and irresponsibly stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Flippin AR
5,466 posts, read 4,705,770 times
Reputation: 6134
I see no indication that our population exploders (the least gifted intellectually, monetarily, and motivationally) are slowing down their excessive breeding. And I really see no government or society move towards NOT rewarding these new babies with welfare checks and other subsidies.

So, sounds like another attempt to pretend we have no problem, and jobs and resources will be plentiful in the future.

Right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,624,776 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Not so. There is a constant (known as "K", IIRC) that a biology instructor let me in on that showed that the Earth could support 50 billion folks...at the expense of every other species being wiped out. So, we're not technically overcrowded yet.

While there are definitely issues at hand, it's not overcrowding that is at fault in and of itself for why a majority of the people on Earth don't have access to clean water on a consistent basis. That problem was present before "overcrowding" was even imagined. Zimbabweans running off white folks who knew how to farm and thus turning that country from a net exporter of food into a net importer wasn't due to overcrowding.

You get the idea. Maybe? Eventually?
I seriously doubt that you have ever done much travel to third world countries and saw firsthand the squalor that overpopulation has caused.
I have. There is a direct correlation between population and living standards in third world countries. The amounts of available employment and resources are finite and adding to the labor pool while at the same time increasing demand for resources is a recipe for failure.
Of course you will not necessarily need to travel to see this phenomena for yourself, soon it will be apparent in the living standards right here in the US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,214 posts, read 8,441,636 times
Reputation: 7775
A while ago I read a study that suggested that our planet can actually handle double our current population, but it would depend on us all managing our resources properly and efficiently. This is of course impossible given human nature and geopolitical factors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
 
19,337 posts, read 16,930,256 times
Reputation: 7515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This has got to be one of the outright stupidest statements I have ever read.
The world is grossly overpopulated and that overpopulation is the sole reason the majority of the world lives in desperate poverty.
Overpopulation is of benefit to the elite and the wealthy of the world who profit from the low wages and high demand overpopulation fosters.
I have traveled to many countries, and from what I have seen firsthand, the effects of overpopulation in most of these countries have been devastating.
It is the ignorant and deceitful who deny the realities of overpopulation, which hate humanity.
They are also very often the same people who have a vested interest in maintaining the misery of others for their own benefit.

That not a very good argument. Would you say the dark ages the misery in Europe was all due to over population?

200 years ago what was :

* infant mortality
* death in child birth
* life expectancy
* malnutrition

So I find this observation to lack any standard of methodology other than just what you think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Status: "But in the aggregate..." (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,331 posts, read 69,479,051 times
Reputation: 37326
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That not a very good argument.
It's a perfectly fine argument.

It could stand some editing and fleshing out of details...
but the elemental points remain valid.

Why don't you do that?
Recast his statement to be all the argument it could be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
 
Location: TX
795 posts, read 1,278,636 times
Reputation: 784
I've long felt that we are overpopulated and could use a decline, so bring it on. I'm tired of waiting in line everywhere.

Competition has gotten so fierce in all respects; school, jobs, college, business, etc. A ton of talent is being wasted because not enough opportunities exist to nurture it. We can ease up on that.

I'm far more concerned with the growing rate of uneducated single moms aged 18-35.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,624,776 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That not a very good argument. Would you say the dark ages the misery in Europe was all due to over population?

200 years ago what was :

* infant mortality
* death in child birth
* life expectancy
* malnutrition

So I find this observation to lack any standard of methodology other than just what you think.
If you knew anything about the middle ages you would not be asking the question. The sacking of Europe and the societal collapse that followed resulted in the loss of much of the knowledge of the time.
One of the results of that was the loss of methods to address sanitation which in turn resulted in mass infestation of rats, and insects spreading disease. Had the cities of Europe not been so densely populated they would not have been wallowing in their own feces and providing the breeding ground for disease.
So yes overpopulation was a significant factor in the misery of the dark ages.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top