Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM

621 posts, read 658,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You've made veiled references to this before...
just what have you interpreted these "moral values" to be?
Hitler reduced the population of Europe by killing off the Jews. You have said that the workers should be asked to stop making new replacement workers. Morally I don't see much difference. Us Vs. Them. As long as you are willing to be part of the population reduction then I don't have that strong an objection.
Quote:
The private sector jobs were taken away...
but no one told the workers to not keep reproducing replacements.
I don't see a difference between this and what Hitler did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
Hitler reduced the population of Europe by killing off the Jews.
You have said that the workers should be asked to stop making new replacement workers.
Morally I don't see much difference.
Wow.

Quote:
As long as you are willing to be part of the population reduction
then I don't have that strong an objection.
My parents are both from 2 child families. They had 2 children. My brother and I have had two children.
The entire lot has well raised, reasonably well educated and prepared to be self sufficient.

We've done our part. What have you done?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Wow.

My parents are both from 2 child families. They had 2 children. My brother and I have had two children.
The entire lot has well raised, reasonably well educated and prepared to be self sufficient.

We've done our part. What have you done?
No you haven't reduced the population. If you had had one kid that would have reduced the population. You replaced yourself.

Quote:
The private sector jobs were taken away...
but no one told the workers to not keep reproducing replacements.
You've said they shouldn't. Morally you are the same as Hitler. They don't have the right to reproduce but you do.

I come from polygamist stock. My Great Great grand dad had two wives and 20 biological kids. His son my great grand dad had four wives and 40 kids? I've got something like 10,000 fourth cousins. That is what you get when you take a farming population and put it in fertile farming territory that is otherwise vacant. And you get the productive and well off to have a lot of kids.

My Mom's Mom had 6 kids those six kids averaged 5 kids each. One had one kid that didn't have any kids before he died. My Mom had 5 kids. My oldest brother had two kids. My oldest sister had three with giving up one for adoption. My next oldest sister didn't have any kids. My other brother weighted until he was in his 40's to start and has had 3 kids with one dieing of a profound berth defect.

I haven't had any kids yet.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why does something think he is giving an educated opinion when his opinion is foolish? children dont starve because of overpopulation. they starve because they live in a place where people have failed to properly use natural resources to grow more food. we have so much food in america that incredible amounts of it are thrown in the garbage and farmers are paid not to farm. does that mean that in america there is massive underpopulation?
Your ignorance is amazing. It is hard to believe people can have so little knowledge.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Oh. How do you propose we do that?
Want to repatriate the low/no skill jobs their parents used to do?

How about if we "meet the changing environment" with a smaller population?
you conveniently pretend that we arent doing that. as we become more "productive" we are finding ways to tranform the economy to make room for more people. its almost a joke that you seem to be taking the current economic downturn and resulting unemployment as if its some sign that we permanently will not have the jobs. unemployment will once again return to low levels when we implement the right policies.

if we have a smaller population, we will deal with that. but there is absolutely no need for it in order for us to continue to prosper.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Your ignorance is amazing. It is hard to believe people can have so little knowledge.
haha, did you suggest that starvation is a result of overpopulation? what a joke. who is starving to death in america?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
its almost a joke that you seem to be taking the current economic downturn
and resulting unemployment as if its some sign that we permanently will not have the jobs.
You've tried to use this assessment before.
I'll address it directly this time: You're wrong on this as well.

As to the current economic downturn...
it is conveniently illustrative of the issues... but it's not causal.
The issues have been obvious to those who have looked... for over 40 years.

Quote:
...if we have a smaller population, we will deal with that.
But there is absolutely no need for it in order for us to continue to prosper.
Define "us". Who is doing this "prospering" you speak of?
Define need while you're at it.

The premise is that the traditional view of an ever expanding economy is no longer valid.
If this is so... then an ever increasing population is contra indicated even for subsistence.

For everyone to be self sufficient (let alone to have it better than that), to produce enough
income to pay their own way for all their needs *and* to contribute to the common weal
(pay taxes) will require a far greater level of compensation than the majority currently have.

This is an untenable situation and it will NOT be improved upon by increasing the number of
mouths that need feeding.

Fewer people in total than today with a comparable number as today better employed.
It's not that complicated.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-20-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
you conveniently pretend that we arent doing that. as we become more "productive" we are finding ways to tranform the economy to make room for more people. its almost a joke that you seem to be taking the current economic downturn and resulting unemployment as if its some sign that we permanently will not have the jobs. unemployment will once again return to low levels when we implement the right policies.
I asked him if we had overpopulation during the great depression and he said yes. At that point I stopped talking about it. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Quote:

if we have a smaller population, we will deal with that. but there is absolutely no need for it in order for us to continue to prosper.
Ya.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I asked him if we had overpopulation during the great depression and he said yes.
I did? Really? Go back and find that post. Read the whole thing this time.

You're really getting to be annoying.
I don't expect you to agree with my views but if you're going to describe my views or attribute
something to me please use my own words and in context. Or leave me out altogether. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I did? Really? Go back and find that post. Read the whole thing this time.

You're really getting to be annoying.
I don't expect you to agree with my views but if you're going to describe my views or attribute
something to me please use my own words and in context. Or leave me out altogether. Thanks.
Quote:
Quote:
Were we overpopulated in The Great Depression?
Relative to the work output? To demand?
Yes. There is no doubt we had more workers available than production needed.
This is what you said. Yes. That is simple enough to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics