Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 AM

621 posts, read 656,596 times

Advertisements

"In an ironic twist, political figures of each country are trying to depreciate their own currency. In theory, this strategy will give a short-term boost to their own economy, while handicapping foreign countries."

James Rickards testifies about Currency Wars

So how do all the currencies in the world devalue their currencies at the same time?

Get wage price inflation and full employment at the same time with increasing the minimum wage and effective economic stimulus.
[LEFT]
Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com James Rickards testifies about Currency Wars
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 AM

21,076 posts, read 19,579,298 times
Oh, don't worry, Obama will save us.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,454,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
"In an ironic twist, political figures of each country are trying to depreciate their own currency. In theory, this strategy will give a short-term boost to their own economy, while handicapping foreign countries."

So how do all the currencies in the world devalue their currencies at the same time?
This is basic economics, quite literally the first month of econ 101 drills it into every students head.

Cheaper currencies mean exports are cheaper and the economy sells more and employs more. Countries tend to see others devaluing their currency and don't want imports hurting local economies so they match it to some degree. The how is up to the country, the list is pretty comprehensive, but you can find it on Wikipedia or any textbook on the subject in about 10 seconds. Just as when companies cut the price of a product, others will match the price drop to some degree.

For some one who has been casually studying econ for a decade, and claiming just a few years is equal to a PhD with each post as a thesis, the failure to grasp something that students learn in the first month of econ 101 is baffling.

Quote:
Three of four years of casual study on my part runs close to a PhD by others.
The proof of what I have been spouting is good enough for a PhD thesis in economics.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
The United States is not going to "win" a currency devaluation race.
Even if it could, it sure wouldn't help the average citizen at all.
"We" should be more focused on re-converting the purchase habits
of Americans (who spend the most) to bring them back to buying
American manufactured goods, made in the USA.
Making here, selling HERE, that is much more important than exports.
It is not necessary to debauch the dollar for that to occur, we only
need better laws to protect American companies who make goods here
instead of offshore, after all, what is our goal ? Who are we trying to
help here ? The people or the multi-national corporations ??????

Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,355,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
need better laws to protect American companies who make goods here
In sentiment I agree with you but in reality it will never happened. Our leaders would have to rip up all the trade agreements that have been signed. And the multi nationals keep our leaders palms greased so they can win the next election and every Nov 4th we wave our flags and vote. Sorry for getting political in the economics forum but it was the only way to reply.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Quote:

This is basic economics, quite literally the first month of econ 101 drills it into every students head.

Cheaper currencies mean exports are cheaper and the economy sells more and employs more. Countries tend to see others devaluing their currency and don't want imports hurting local economies so they match it to some degree. The how is up to the country, the list is pretty comprehensive, but you can find it on Wikipedia or any textbook on the subject in about 10 seconds. Just as when companies cut the price of a product, others will match the price drop to some degree.

Do you show an answer to the question I posed in what you wrote? How do all of them do it at the same time? Where is that in a text book?

Quote:
We can't even fight a currency devaluation fight. Because countries are willing to make stuff and sell it at a loss to get USD for their foreign trade.
Quote:
Long term this is where we need to go. In the short term we need to get back to buying the excess production capacity of the world.
Quote:
too true.
Quote:
need better laws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO725Hbzfls Unless you have honest politicians laws aren't worth the paper they are written on. We need a crop of statesmen not politicians.
Quote:
to protect American companies who make goods here
If you say they need to do something about it they have already won as they are corrupt. You need to say I am going to do something about it. Or we are going to do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
In sentiment I agree with you but in reality it will never happened. Our leaders would have to rip up all the trade agreements that have been signed. And the multi nationals keep our leaders palms greased so they can win the next election and every Nov 4th we wave our flags and vote. Sorry for getting political in the economics forum but it was the only way to reply.

There are things that we can do that don't violate our current agreements. We need to start working on getting those things done.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
Quote:
If you say they need to do something about it they have already won as they are corrupt. You need to say I am going to do something about it. Or we are going to do something about it.
Granted, any hope for change through the traditional election process appears finished.
We have not had truly protectionist politicians since Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan.
Even Ron Paul was not a protectionist. The people are simply too stupid to know
they are being screwed.

Quote:
There are things that we can do that don't violate our current agreements. We need to start working on getting those things done.
And continue to play on an unfair field ? Against intl. giants with limitless funds ?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,454,180 times
Quote:
Do you show an answer to the question I posed in what you wrote? How do all of them do it at the same time? Where is that in a text book?
There isn't an answer because your question doesn't make any sense.

When currencies devalue, they devalue relative to something else at a certain time (Definition - a decrease in the value of a country's currency relative to that of foreign countries). You just said they devalued and said all of the currencies did it, when it means between different currencies (or relative to commodities).

This is still basic as it comes economics, and no one who knows what devaluation means would be making this mistake.

Also when central banks try and devalue their currencies relative to others they announce it publicly, and it takes a while to do. That's like wondering why most every theater in the US was playing The Hobbit on the same day when it was promoted and announced months ago with the release date.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 01-30-2013 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Granted, any hope for change through the traditional election process appears finished.
Here is my take. This is an oversimplification so please bear with it. The rich have bought the government and they are getting what they are paying for.

On th other hand $10 per person for 1/3 of the population per year would equal the money spent in the four year election cycle.
Quote:
We have not had truly protectionist politicians since Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan.
Even Ron Paul was not a protectionist. The people are simply too stupid to know
they are being screwed.
That isn't quite the way I would put it. The people do what they are told to. Vote for him/her he will give you a better life. Well thinking for your self has gone out of fassion.
Quote:

And continue to play on an unfair field ? Against intl. giants with limitless funds ?
Why not? We live in a manipulated economy. So why not manipulate it in the vast bulk of the people's favor.

Quote:

Quote:
There isn't an answer because your question doesn't make any sense.
Did you read the link? "In an ironic twist, political figures of each country are trying to depreciate their own currency. In theory, this strategy will give a short-term boost to their own economy, while handicapping foreign countries." How do they all do this at the same time? All the countries at the same time want to devalue their currencies.

Quote:

When currencies devalue, they devalue relative to something else
OK my point exactly. If we were on the gold standard then all the currencies could change the amount of gold they are worth at the same time. All economies have labor in common. They can all change the nominal value of their labor at the same time.
Quote:
at a certain time (Definition - a decrease in the value of a country's currency relative to that of foreign countries). You just said they devalued and said all of the currencies did it, when it means between different currencies (or relative to commodities).
(I didn't say they did it, I asked how do they do it. And quoted someone saying they are trying to do it.) Or labor.
Quote:

This is still basic as it comes economics, and no one who knows what devaluation means would be making this mistake.
The mistake was yours not mine. I asked how do they all do something. I didn't say they all did it. I quoted someone saying something that is generally what is meant by putting something in
Quote:
””
marks. For giving me so much dodo over small stuff you really missed a big one or a small one.
Quote:

Also when central banks try and devalue their currencies relative to others they announce it publicly, and it takes a while to do. That's like wondering why most every theater in the US was playing The Hobbit on the same day when it was promoted and announced months ago with the release date.
Did you read the article? You should try doing that before you comment on something.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Three of four years of casual study on my part runs close to a PhD by others.
The proof of what I have been spouting is good enough for a PhD thesis in economics.
For some one who has been casually studying econ for a decade, and claiming just a few years is equal to a PhD with each post as a thesis, the failure to grasp something that students learn in the first month of econ 101 is baffling.
Could you please quote where I said I was casually studding econ for a decade? Or apologies for miss representing what I was saying?

It would be nice if you actually read what you quoted. The proof of what I have been saying is good enough for A PhD thesis. These pitiful posts are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics