Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

A. College isn't for everyone
B. Colleges will take your money (and loan money) even while you pursue a worthless degree (poor ROI)
C. College will not educate you in common sense

I recently had two employees graduate from college with $60,000 job expectations. Both attended the same state university, one getting a Biology degree and the other a degree in Graphic Arts. Both made between 30-35K a year working for me.

Real world time, GA major got his first real job (28K year, 100 miles away from where he lived and he bought a fuel efficient car to commute, job lasted 4 days and he quit!). Biology major never got an offer over $14 an hour, decided to stay working for me couldn't afford to take a pay cut.

Moral of the story.......these two spent over 150K on education (one paid out of state tuition) and got degrees that are not good returns on their investments (time, money). One borrowed 20K in loans, payback is 50K over 30 years! A trip to the guidance counselor's office could have prevented heartache on the job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
If the government bails the students out from under the loans, it will be taxpayers paying it.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 PM

304 posts, read 871,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
If the government bails the students out from under the loans, it will be taxpayers paying it.

So? You know who has had to pay for the mistakes for past generations? The students. Instead of moderate tax increases raising the medicare age a year or two, or finding some sort of compromise...state and local governments have jacked up tuition, cut the amount of grants, and cut the amount of subsidized loans so interest accrues while students are in school.

Education used to be a fraction of the cost it is now. Its funny to hear older people calling us the entitled generation while they put the burden of the recession on our backs.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
So? You know who has had to pay for the mistakes for past generations? The students. Instead of moderate tax increases raising the medicare age a year or two, or finding some sort of compromise...state and local governments have jacked up tuition, cut the amount of grants, and cut the amount of subsidized loans so interest accrues while students are in school.

Education used to be a fraction of the cost it is now. Its funny to hear older people calling us the entitled generation while they put the burden of the recession on our backs.
Each generation has problems. I would never have taken out loans to go to college. If you did, you did it knowing it had to be paid back. So do it and stop whining. Just because you exist, doesn't mean a free college education. Life is NOT fair.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Each generation has problems. I would never have taken out loans to go to college. If you did, you did it knowing it had to be paid back. So do it and stop whining. Just because you exist, doesn't mean a free college education. Life is NOT fair.
Each generation should fix their own problems not pass them on to the next generation. The problem is for students who went to school when the recession hit they saw their funding drop dramatically while in school. That is pretty hard to predict and adapt to. In a democratic society, education should be affordable and available. If we want to remain a superpower we are going to need a well-educated population. People need to realize that if students are in so much debt they are not going to be able to spend which is a driving force for growth.

So if it does continue to get worse and consumer spending stalls then maybe people will realize how stupid it is to cut education funding.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
[quote=chuckmann;28077360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

Every bit as fair as the mortgage bailouts have been to those of us who had sensible loans.
I can't even be pissed off anymore. One of my friends says "The fool gives and the wise man takes." Avoiding student loans and getting responsible mortgages and paying cash for used cars instead of new ones doesn't really seem to have helped me much.

I am disappointed I can't change the government, and I've decided to look out for what I can get like the rest of the people in the country.

Not only mortgage bailouts, but those for the financial, manufacturing and farming industries. The rest of us have to deal with our own business losses and mistakes. Where is my bailout? Ugh. Hopefully instead of simply paying taxes I can't afford, I can suck from the government teat myself.

It is like they're throwing billions of dollars out the window, but only certain people are getting to grab the bills.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
[quote=aquietpath;28076580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Less than 50% graduate a 4 year college and less than 30% graduate from a 2 year college.
You have lots of people with student loans and no college degree to show for it.
What types of jobs are out there today for HS graduates..mostly min wage hourly work.
And the loans will sit unpaid because they just don't make enough money.

I think the government saw this when they nationalized Fannie and Freddie and took over the student loan business before the next big bailout hit them.

The Fed can sweep this outstanding debt under the rug and let it be buried in the national debt.[/quote]

How fair would that be to those of us who paid our loans?
It would be repulsive. Now I would allow the dropouts a chance to work it off, whether via military service, public works jobs, whatever..where automatically X percent of every paycheck went towards student loan debt, and where the government wrote off 50 cents for every dollar paid back, only at the end of each full year of work.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM

[quote=bobtn;28079545]
Quote:

It would be repulsive. Now I would allow the dropouts a chance to work it off, whether via military service, public works jobs, whatever..where automatically X percent of every paycheck went towards student loan debt, and where the government wrote off 50 cents for every dollar paid back, only at the end of each full year of work.
Thats a pretty fair compromise, but something needs to be done long term. It should not cost students as much as it currently does to get a college degree, especially with the current job market. Like I said earlier, we are going to need a highly educated population to keep the country growing.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
[quote=aquietpath;28077453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

Which wasn't fair either. Why do it again with student loans?
Because Obama is President and thinks that the Federal Government exists to give money to the foolish and undeserving?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
[quote=chuckmann;28081259]
Quote:

Because Obama is President and thinks that the Federal Government exists to give money to the foolish and undeserving?
Like the Military Industrial Complex? We certainly can't make those folks on the government dole suffer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics