Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hamish Forbes, in both of your posts with examples of "low" vs. "high" class people, you refer to the massage parlor worker as "he/she", but your classics professor or other desirable person is "he." Might want to take a look at your unconscious stereotypes there.
How do you know that my stereotypes are unconscious? You just deliberately tried to stick your finger into my eye over this issue -- maybe I was willfully trying to do the same thing to people like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
So upper middle class is more than a money thing? You have to graduate from the rights schools? Go to the right colleges? Belong the the Right Golf Clubs?

I would disagree with this. While working in a massage parlor or stripe club for tips is not exactly seen as desirable professions, they do pay well. The great thing about this country is the ability for anyone, no matter poor to become wealthy though hard work and/or luck. Also people that are wealthy can become poor if they make lousy financial decisions. Just because you were born rich or poor doesn't mean you are stuck in that social class.
You are definetly not over 25 yet huh.

Anyways, he is middle class. If your net worth was higher you'd be upper middle. Get a promotion and start maing 6 figures. Your rent is too high and sounds unecessary if you live by yourself.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
sounds like you are making some really good decisions,,,,

you would be high class in maine-

like someone else said- be prepared to be attacked, you played by the rules, you are making the right decisions,
you should be rewarded for it....but, dont be surprised if you get an attitude- a large part of this country likes to punish achievement,,,,because you havent suffered the social and economic ills that many do (because of their bad decisions) why do you deserve more?? or why do they deserve less?? (the democrat party platform)

doesnt make any sense,

you should be heralded and propped up "this is what you can do and be" by the age of 30, if you work hard and stay out of trouble- in fact, the media should be doing features on the younger generation,,like yourself,,than feature a mother with 5 kids and 4 different fathers, and its "societies fault"

the american dream is still alive and well

Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
How do you know that my stereotypes are unconscious? You just deliberately tried to stick your finger into my eye over this issue -- maybe I was willfully trying to do the same thing to people like you.

See I told you that you were classy. How can we not love the "Three Stooges" and how Moe always found a way to poke Larry in the eye?

All of this is relative. Maybe I am related to Curley. I seem to have my tongue pulled all the time.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
See I told you that you were classy. How can we not love the "Three Stooges" and how Moe always found a way to poke Larry in the eye?

All of this is relative. Maybe I am related to Curley. I seem to have my tongue pulled all the time.
I love your posts! You seem to grasp what's actually going on here far better than most contributors.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
I'm reminded of Paul Fussell's book, "Class: a Guide through the American Status System". It's an insouciant jab at an "egalitarian" society (in the modern US) which in fact is rigidly hierarchical. Fussell argues that angst over class-status is quintessentially middle-class, rendering the OP middle class regardless of his financial wherewithal.

That said, the question of "what class am I" is not entirely trite. It has two important implications: first, how does one interact with older and more established coworkers, who have more money because they have been around longer. What if one has more education, speaks more languages, reads more books... how does one garner the respect of his elders? Is their respect even worth it? The question is quite topical for a young person trying to rise professionally, without coming across as arrogant or manipulative. It is important for the office-dynamic. Second, and even more important, are the implications for dating. Social class still largely determines the pool of eligible dates. Dating "too high" might explain an inordinately high percentage of rejections, while dating "too low" might explain why potential dates are uninteresting and can't hold a worthwhile conversation.

Class shouldn't define us, but it does partially define how others define us, so to speak.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Good for you to make that income at your age. And I applaud you for putting money away for retirement, that shows forward thinking. I know in some parts of the country $65,000 would be upper middle class, some lower middle class. I don't think any of that matters. It appears you have a plan and goals in mind. Great to hear!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Based on your background I would say you are solidly middle class. If/when you are able to save 2M liquid assets you would be considered rich in most of the country (not sure about LA), but you wouldn't automatically be upper class.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I was having a discussion with my roommate last night on what the middle class looks like. I tend to think of myself as middle class, but I wanted to get everyone opinions on it...

I make $65k/year
I'm 29, male
I have no debt
I rent a high-end apartment in Los Angeles
I save about $1500 - $2000 a month (retirement and mutual funds)
I drive a paid for 2009 Toyota with 46000 miles on it.
I am single, no dependents, no kids
I have a networth of about $150k
I work a full-time job, Monday - Friday
I don't feel strapped for cash, but I'm relativity conservative with my money

What am I? Lower class? Middle Class? Upper Middle Class? If I continue saving like I have been... I will be on my way to Upper Middle Class in the next 10 years, correct?
You're surely middle class, on your way to upper middle class or wealthy.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'm reminded of Paul Fussell's book, "Class: a Guide through the American Status System". It's an insouciant jab at an "egalitarian" society (in the modern US) which in fact is rigidly hierarchical. Fussell argues that angst over class-status is quintessentially middle-class, rendering the OP middle class regardless of his financial wherewithal.

That said, the question of "what class am I" is not entirely trite. It has two important implications: first, how does one interact with older and more established coworkers, who have more money because they have been around longer. What if one has more education, speaks more languages, reads more books... how does one garner the respect of his elders? Is their respect even worth it? The question is quite topical for a young person trying to rise professionally, without coming across as arrogant or manipulative. It is important for the office-dynamic. Second, and even more important, are the implications for dating. Social class still largely determines the pool of eligible dates. Dating "too high" might explain an inordinately high percentage of rejections, while dating "too low" might explain why potential dates are uninteresting and can't hold a worthwhile conversation.

Class shouldn't define us, but it does partially define how others define us, so to speak.
I agree with the suggestion of your post that class is about much more than money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics