Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

I thought it would be more along the lines of " she chased him around the church and caught him by the organ"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I thought it would be more along the lines of " she chased him around the church and caught him by the organ"
Pipe organ?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The hardest part about getting out of poverty is changing the outlook on life that got you there.

1. Change your cost of living. You can't afford those things, and never could.
2. Change your toxic friends, who are just like you, and dragging you down.
3. Change your appearance. Impressing the right adult at the right time could turn your life around.
4. Change your debt to zero. Use bankruptcy if necessary.
5. Change your habits. Go to bed early, correct your weight (if necessary) and eat healthy. Say goodbye to substances.
6. Change your knowledge base. Read good books. Speak like a retired school teacher.
7. Change your work habits. Do what you're told. If you tell your boss you'll be there, then be there.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I wish I could rep you 1000x for this. You are so correct. The level of denial around this issue is scary. There's such a taboo against admitting that it's a problem. As long as the "tolerance brigade" is so closed-minded, we won't get anywhere.
Thank you

I have been saying it relentlessly on CD where it seems appropriate. IMO, the real agenda is to keep the family unit weak through divorce & out of wedlock child bearing so that people are either dependent on the government or corporations...one more way of keeping people in crisis mode so they won't rebel against the elites.

And I agree with you...many in the tolerance brigade are anything but tolerant. I've noticed more political moderates and liberals are speaking out on this issue. It should have happened 20 years ago, but better late than never.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-24-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The hardest part about getting out of poverty is changing the outlook on life that got you there.

3. Change your appearance. Impressing the right adult at the right time could turn your life around.
5. Change your habits. Go to bed early, correct your weight (if necessary) and eat healthy. Say goodbye to substances.
6. Change your knowledge base. Read good books. Speak like a retired school teacher.
7. Change your work habits. Do what you're told. If you tell your boss you'll be there, then be there.
Excellent advice. In other words, take complete responsibility for your life and get rid of the luck-victim mentality.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I don't think it's that it's so difficult, I think it's more or less the sacrifices that you have to make to get out of being poor. In reality, it's not difficult to do.. but most people don't want to live without their 'necessities' (LED TV, iphone, internet on cell phone, 35,000 leased car) etc...

Working extra hours, sacrificing for more education and cutting back on your spending will get you out of poverty. It's putting the easy things into action that make it difficult, in other words.. self control.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Nice short and concise summary.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The way things are going it seems that everyday that's passing I'm getting closer and closer to poverty.
I think this is true for everybody in America except for the elite because the price of food, gas, housing, education, taxes, ect, is going up each year, all while the wages are not keeping up.

Don't be fooled, listen to the David Ramsey Radio Show, there are people who make over 100k a year but they still live pay check to pay check because after they pay the monthly student loans and all their monthly expenses, they have nothing left. In fact, I read an article that said nearly half of Americans don't even have 500 bucks stocked away in savings.

Nearly Half Of Americans Have Less Than $500 In Savings: Survey

Dave Ramsey Student Loan Rant - YouTube

Quote:
My question here is that how hard is it to escape poverty. Because I could tell you that being in the low end of the spectrum it's hard, you need money to make more money.
Well, for one, if you're living in America, "poverty" over here is nothing close to poverty in a 3rd world country. I have been to a 3rd world country and I saw real poverty for myself and I came back to the States realizing that even poor people in America (with their TVs, cell phones, and designer clothes) have much to be thankful for.

I'm not trying to diminish your hardship, but just want to put things in prospective and let you know that there are people in other countries that would gladly take your spot over sleeping in the streets in a country where there isn't any governmental assistance for poor people.

Can poor people have HDTVs?- MSN Money

Having said that, it is harder to move up in social class now then ever before in America. This is a good article on the matter:

"Is America the "land of opportunity"? Not so much. A new report from the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) finds that social mobility between generations is dramatically lower in the U.S. than in many other developed countries. So if you want your children to climb the socioeconomic ladder higher than you did, move to Canada."

Social Immobility: Climbing The Economic Ladder Is Harder In The U.S. Than In Most European Countries

Anyway, start with BASICS, such as, DON'T HAVE KIDS! It's a fact that the quickest way to end up, or stay in the poor house, is to have kids. Most poor people have lots of kids and many people who are well off either have 1 child, or none at all. I know a few people who were going along quite well but had a kid or two and now they're STUCK working dead end jobs with no end in sight.

Secondly, find a mentor who lives at the lifestyle that you wish to live at (Be realistic!). You're going to need guidance and a complete reorganization in how to approach everyday life.

Embrace being frugal and learn to control your impulses such as not buying things you really don't need. It's perfectly OK to drive that old car. It's OK to own a pre-paid cell phone. It's OK to shop at Target for clothes. It's Ok to stay at home and cook your own meals. It's Ok to jog at the local track FOR FREE rather then pay for the gym membership. Ect...

Quote:
And us people at the bottom have little or no money, so were at a very significant disadvantage.
This is true. And this is why the poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

Quote:
It's not stupidity which has led me and others like me to this level, but luck. We try very hard, much harder then everyone else but we are still stuck.

Some people with little effort they manage to better themselves. After all the hard work of trying all the time an seeing that you haven't even made one bit of progress just nails it
I have seen this too, and outside of the person being extremely talented, you have to keep in mind that in many of these cases there is often a hidden hand that assisted them for whatever reason so that person did not really succeed on sheer merit alone. They got help. Plain and simple.

Also, when I was native, I use to think that all I needed to do was "work hard" and do X, Y, and Z, only to realize that I was still blocked because I had to do other things that were unwritten to succeed in the field.

In other words, sometimes it's not so much about working hard and doing XYZ, but about working charm and influencing people who have power that can help you leap frog over others so you can get to where you need to go that much faster. It's like the pretty girls who flirt with the bouncers at the entrance of a nightclub to bypass the line of people waiting outside. This happens in many fields (to various degrees) no matter how professional it may seem.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM

92 posts, read 267,393 times
I am going to share something very personal on this forum.

At this present time, I am gainfully employed in a professional office job, have a small apartment in a great area, and have enough money left over for extra. Guess what? Two years ago, I was sleeping on a bench in a park with my boyfriend with a small backpack of clothes and not a penny (and I mean NOT ONE PENNY) to my name. While I was living on the street, no one ever guessed that I slept on a bench every night and waiting in lines for food once my food stamps ran out. I usually starved for approximately 5-7 days per month (weekends when there were no food lines). I kept my appearance as neat as I possibly could by sneaking into hotel restrooms to brush my teeth, wash my hair...etc. I showered at free facilities.

After an interminable time on a waiting list (6 months), I managed to get into a privately-run homeless shelter (not governement). They did NOT provide money, but they provided me with a public transport pass , a cheap cell phone and three professional outfits. Using just those tools and internet access from my public library, I managed to get a job... followed in one month by an apartment with my boyfriend...who was able to get a job once I could stablize our situation (women find shelter much easier than men) and now we are back on track.

Two things were my mantra during the darkest times - Never, ever think of myself as a victim and never, ever succumb to drinking/drugs.

Thanks for letting me share.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie1000 View Post
I am going to share something very personal on this forum.

Two things were my mantra during the darkest times - Never, ever think of myself as a victim and never, ever succumb to drinking/drugs.

Thanks for letting me share.
I took most of that out but I have to say that is an awesome story. I am so glad that you got your way out of poverty and up without succumbing to some of the biggest pitfalls that hurts so many. It is a reminder of myself a very long time ago when I lived in my car until I decided to leave and find a purpose in life.

Thanks for sharing Pixie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics