Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Getting a beater car is not always a good idea, especially if you live in a state that does emissions test inspections. Older cars will usually require significant expense (as in several thousands dollars) in order to pass the emissions test. When you add in the cost of several other repairs, the end result is that selling a new car in order to buy a "beater" car may actually end up costing you money.
I've also disagreed with DR recommending a beater car to some folks. One person relied on his car for business and did a lot of driving. The recommendation was to get a beater car. No way would I want an unreliable car in a situation where I depended on it for my job. Now I'm not saying buy a BMW but surely a new Kia or something in the lower price range would be a better and safer compromise.

Some used cars can be horrible money pits when they reach a certain age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I've also disagreed with DR recommending a beater car to some folks. One person relied on his car for business and did a lot of driving. The recommendation was to get a beater car. No way would I want an unreliable car in a situation where I depended on it for my job. Now I'm not saying buy a BMW but surely a new Kia or something in the lower price range would be a better and safer compromise.

Some used cars can be horrible money pits when they reach a certain age.
A lot of sales jobs where the person is expected to put huge miles on their personal car without any reimbursement from the company aren't very good to begin with. Maybe finding a different job would be a better recommendation for such a person.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
One thing I am doing that Dave Ramsey would approve of is still driving my 2000 Honda CRV, which I paid cash for after inheriting some money when my grandmother passed.
I'd dare say paying cash for a car out of an inheritance -- is not the same as the choice between paying cash for a beater because that's all the cash you have or buying new but having payments.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
I also have had to commute long distances and have been broken down on the side of the road late at night more times than I care to remember.

The best four years of my commuting life were when we bought a new car, an SUV, and yes, with payments. No more stress about breaking down, and maintenance costs dropped like a rock.

I listened to Dave in my new SUV on the way to work every day (a 90 minute trip one way) and shook my head.

I was vindicated when I was hit by a drunk driver going 100 mph and walked away uninjured from my no-longer-that-new-but-still-way-safer-than-any-beater.

Having a beater to save money is not always the most important thing.

I'm back in what qualifies as a beater -- a 2000 minivan -- but it was a good used car (not a beater) when we bought it, and I don't regret it. My commute by car is now close to nonexistent (I take the bus now), and that makes all the difference in what I feel comfortable driving.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
People were happy that they've crawled out of a debt hole and wanted to thank Dave.
You don't need any Dave Ramsey or anyone else to crawl out of debt. Just cut up your credit cards, stop spending on unnecessary stuff, and pay off the debt.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You don't need any Dave Ramsey or anyone else to crawl out of debt. Just cut up your credit cards, stop spending on unnecessary stuff, and pay off the debt.
Easier said than done for many. Dave Ramsey lays out a straightforward and logical way to accomplish those goals. Knock it if you want, but it's worked for many many people.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Beaters can still be reliable, just not sexy or the most comfortable.....

Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
And he's getting rich, teaching people basic common sense. (Which isn't so common anymore)
I don't hate on him. I'm thinking about getting a schtick myself.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Easier said than done for many. Dave Ramsey lays out a straightforward and logical way to accomplish those goals. Knock it if you want, but it's worked for many many people.
True, and if it works, I don't knock it. But it doesn't fall in the category of "money", it falls in the category of "psychology" or behavior management.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Beaters can still be reliable, just not sexy or the most comfortable.....
Yeah, except Dave talks about paying $1,000 for a beater. There isn't much in the way of reliability out there for that kind of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics