Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Golfingduo, the spending like a drunken sailor has been going on much longer than 4 years.

Heres the problem. When someone suggests tackling medicare/medicaid long term costs, the other side automatically throws out the argument about "throwing granny off the cliff". You cant have a serious discussion when this happens....
You are right!!!!!!!

So the serious discussion we need to have is about how many of these Pols we return to office next term. The discussion we need to have is what message we send to these new pols and the returning ones. Make it hurt them. Tell them granny aint getting tossed to the side. Congressman/woman pain in the butt gets put to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Oh okay come to my office. Work 4 days and go home and still have to do the work of 5 days. Yeah I do fine. I am not one who lives from pay check to pay check. I have resources. It will affect those that get half of what a counterpart would get in the "private sector" and half of almost nothing is still almost nothing. Then take 20% cut on top of that.
No idea what your office is like. I love working in court. I get paid for 8 hours and usually work about 5. Courts generally closed up by 4-4:30, two 30 minute breaks, hour and a half for lunch. Tons of down time for me to work on other stuff while I'm paid to sit around. Of course, there's the downside of the pay being lower. That and the whole going into an office M-F thing are one of the reasons I'm not that interested. On the other hand, if I can "double dip" and get paid for 8 hours for 5 hours of work, it's not so bad. I've always have other work I can do while the government pays me to twiddle my thumbs.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No idea what your office is like. I love working in court. I get paid for 8 hours and usually work about 5. Courts generally closed up by 4-4:30, two 30 minute breaks, hour and a half for lunch. Tons of down time for me to work on other stuff while I'm paid to sit around. Of course, there's the downside of the pay being lower. That and the whole going into an office M-F thing are one of the reasons I'm not that interested. On the other hand, if I can "double dip" and get paid for 8 hours for 5 hours of work, it's not so bad. I've always have other work I can do while the government pays me to twiddle my thumbs.

Oh my work is not physical. I am a database administrator. I take helpdesk calls to fix problems in the computer. I put in 8 hour days. Yeah I am not digging trenches or giving someone a bypass but I work. Then I give up one weekend a month to serve my country. Oh then add in the state emergencies. Then there is the possibility that I have to go to Afghanistan or maybe Syria or Iran next? Oh sure take my job! Put me on furlough but then I need to be ready for the next shoe to drop.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
they should cut benefits and/or salaries of federal workers before the considering reduction in services. a private sector business would look there before cutting services. but there are tons of places to cut. from what i hear, the sequester is designed specifically to be painful and not simply cut waste.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Dont be afraid. The Government, aka the minions of Obama, are all lying.

Nothing will happen, despite the lies about Granny no loger able to get he cancer medicine.

This is typical Government lies. Be brave, my friends. You are about to get a kiss on the cheek, but Obama and his liar proxies are threatening you with a hard slap. Dont believe them,. They are lying.

PS think maybe it's time to vote them all out of office?
We will continue to see our deficit explode until people realize the problem is in BOTH PARTIES.

Republicans are using scare tactics too. They say America will be defenseless if the military budget is touched.

When has a Republican president drastically reduced our debt and deficit? Their record of debt and deficit reduction in the past 20 years is actually worse than Democrats.

Seriously, people need to wake up. Both parties are big spenders. Republicans want to make $2 trillion in cuts in entitlements and programs, yet they want to increase military spending by $2 trillion. Democrats want to raise taxes by $2 trillion, yet they want to increase infrastructure and other spending.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We will continue to see our deficit explode until people realize the problem is in BOTH PARTIES.

Republicans are using scare tactics too. They say America will be defenseless if the military budget is touched.

When has a Republican president drastically reduced our debt and deficit? Their record of debt and deficit reduction in the past 20 years is actually worse than Democrats.

Seriously, people need to wake up. Both parties are big spenders. Republicans want to make $2 trillion in cuts in entitlements and programs, yet they want to increase military spending by $2 trillion. Democrats want to raise taxes by $2 trillion, yet they want to increase infrastructure and other spending.
So so right. This is what I have been saying all along. Those in now vote out. They can't cut the budget. Vote them out next. Until we get people that want th do the job.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
So so right. This is what I have been saying all along. Those in now vote out. They can't cut the budget. Vote them out next. Until we get people that want th do the job.
that wouldnt do anything unless there is a clear purpose that is known for doing it. i have limited faith any any politician, but right now the only group of people that seem to be interested in cutting government spending is the tea party affiliated politicians. thats one reason why i get so disappointed when even some tea party supporters oppose cutting defense spending.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It's a 0.22% decrease. $85billion/$3.8 trillion=0.22%. If we chop off some zeroes, and imagine it's a family it would go like this.
Annual income $22,000
Annual spending $38,000
Debt $160,000
Spending cut this year $85
$85 Billion/$3.8 trillion is 2.2%, not .22%

Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I was aghast reading an article in The Economist a few weeks ago, regarding the cost of building these F35 fighter planes. I still can't swallow the price they quoted: $400 billion!? Could it be, they made a mistake and it was $400 million? And there's orders for more and more of them!

We should do this every year, these automatic cuts, rather than wait until the last minute, after we've gone off the cliff!

I can't stop myself! Looking at those U-Tube video's of what's going on in Greece, Italy, Ireland, Spain and Portugal!

If they had had these small automatic cuts, some time ago, they could have gotten used to it, slowly but surely, but why wait until our Government Debt rating falls to CCC!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
BMW,
The deficit has slowly gone down over the past 4 years since the
Democratic President has been in office.
No one seems to know this. Strange.
Research it online.
We are paying the National debt down.
First time since CLinton.
Oh, this stupid sequester won't last.
The Republicans from the Red Southern states will cave in,
all the money in the south is from the military, trust me.
They can't cut the money in the south, there are no social safety
nets down here. I'm not kidding.
It will be political suicide for our stupid politicans down here if the
federal money stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics