U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,244,532 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/us..._20130223&_r=0

I cannot help but be struck by the very same people who claim to be against deficit spending, bailouts , stimulus spending, big government and ""handouts" begging to keep the federal dollars coming while running trillion dollar yearly federal budget shortfalls!

Some of their concerns are probably valid, but the stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming!

Don't listen to what politicians say, watch what they do!

Last edited by shaker281; 02-25-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 AM

22,438 posts, read 21,299,649 times
A 2.3% decrease in spending isn't going to crush Americans, unless politicians want them to. I wish a billionaire would buy commercial tv space to get the message out there.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,483,303 times
I think it's funny. Basically all Americans have been saying for the past several years that the defense budget needs to be cut. Now cuts are coming and both sides are in a panic.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM

5,538 posts, read 22,655,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
A 2.3% decrease in spending isn't going to crush Americans, unless politicians want them to.
True, I think we should do it every year. They will never reign in spending voluntarily so the only answer is to give them less to spend.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM

5,178 posts, read 4,189,129 times
Dont be afraid. The Government, aka the minions of Obama, are all lying.

Nothing will happen, despite the lies about Granny no loger able to get he cancer medicine.

This is typical Government lies. Be brave, my friends. You are about to get a kiss on the cheek, but Obama and his liar proxies are threatening you with a hard slap. Dont believe them,. They are lying.

PS think maybe it's time to vote them all out of office?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM

16,369 posts, read 18,347,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
True, I think we should do it every year. They will never reign in spending voluntarily so the only answer is to give them less to spend.
Pretty much. Mid-cycle cuts, ala sequester, aren't ideal by any means. But if it's a choice between sequester and no cuts, bring on more sequester.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM

5,156 posts, read 5,466,729 times
Default Nothing will happen?

Well let's wait and see. If the government can't come an agreement my office goes on furlough. What they are telling us is we work 4 days a week paid and one unpaid off day. Kind of stupid. If it goes on long than we go home without pay.

Last time this happened we were sent home and when brought back we were paid for those days we didnt work. Kind of self defeating isnt it? In the mean time we then may or may not be able to make our living expenses. Because it is one day off a week we cant collect unemployment either to make up the difference. So people that live pay check to pay check are gonna be hurting. These are real lives people. They dont deserve to be treated like crap.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,732,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Well let's wait and see. If the government can't come an agreement my office goes on furlough. What they are telling us is we work 4 days a week paid and one unpaid off day. Kind of stupid. If it goes on long than we go home without pay.

Last time this happened we were sent home and when brought back we were paid for those days we didnt work. Kind of self defeating isnt it? In the mean time we then may or may not be able to make our living expenses. Because it is one day off a week we cant collect unemployment either to make up the difference. So people that live pay check to pay check are gonna be hurting. These are real lives people. They dont deserve to be treated like crap.
Sorry you are negatively affected but unfortunately there is a lot of government spending that can be cut. A lot of money spent is wasted and/or spent inefficiently. It can start with congress and their salaries, it doesn't all have to trickle down to the paycheck to paycheck type of employees. Sometimes though, it must and in your case, that is unfortunate but still necessary for us as citizens.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM

18,140 posts, read 16,605,000 times
I just think it's sad how dependent our country and it's economy is with regards to federal spending. It's like one big house of cards, and everyone is worried about the gentle breeze coming our way. I'm also sick of the so called conservatives who want limited government and less spending... So long as it doesn't affect their district. There are tons of phony conservative politicians who have been riding the gravy train for years while bashing everyone else and their spending. I have no one to turn to when it comes time to vote anymore.

Quote:

Not to downplay your situation, but there are an awful lot of former private sector workers who would love to trade places with you.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM

16,369 posts, read 18,347,602 times
Quote:

Welcome to how the rest of us have been living for... forever. While I'm not happy people in your position may be put in hardship by their guaranteed job provided they don't do something ridiculously heinous, I'm not exactly sympathetic either. At this point, it's kind of like the guy working for a private sector company that's losing money who just keeps going "my job will never be cut, my job will never be cut, my job will never be cut." Except instead of getting laid off, you just work 20% less and get 20% less pay. Probably for a few months at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics